Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Read this before you take out a Parent PLUS loan

Jkellynh17Jkellynh17 Registered User Posts: 1,845 Senior Member
edited January 2014 in Parents Forum
Found a really good, kind of disturbing piece about Parent PLUS loans, which are the mainstay of financial aid financing for many of the conservatory schools we're all targeting. (Boston Conservatory is #4 in terms of Parent PLUS burdens, NYU is #11.)

Some things to consider: the rate is 7.9% (home equity is under 4%), obligations cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and even your social security benefits can be garnished to recover defaults. It's a truly terrible deal for parents -- and also probably dangerous for the economy as a whole. (There is no income check to qualify, so people who make, say, less than $50,000 are being encouraged to borrow up to a quarter of a million...how do we think that's going to end?)

Anyway, here's a link: The Parent Loan Trap - Students - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Post edited by Jkellynh17 on

Replies to: Read this before you take out a Parent PLUS loan

• redpointredpoint Registered User Posts: 1,231 Senior Member
    Thanks for the article. I'm having fun (sort of) perusing the accompanying chart of schools. It is interesting that the average amount for parents taking PLUS loans for Harvard is $20,000, on the high side. I thought Harvard was supposed to truly try and meet need. All the schools kids are dying to get into are the ones deep in the red.
  • redpointredpoint Registered User Posts: 1,231 Senior Member
    Also: Is this going to change (incrementally) soon? Here on cc I read how the tide is turning. Fewer parents want to take out big loans and are advising students to go to schools they can afford.
  • mommusicmommusic Registered User Posts: 8,301 Senior Member
    Something to reflect upon: Our parents (or in some cases, grandparents) had dreams too. They survived the Depression & WWII to follow their dreams. Nobody handed anything to them on a silver platter and they turned out ok, through hard work and perseverance. In fact, they are called the "Greatest Generation."
  • jnm123jnm123 Registered User Posts: 743 Member
    Yes, dietz199, that's the phrase--caveat emptor. Buyer beware, folks.

That being said, the REAL problem is not that the PLUS loans are bad in and of themselves, but that too many parents enter into the Parent PLUS loan world without the faintest idea of the consequences. Yes, they have to be paid back. Yes, unlike the students' Stafford loans, the interest on PLUS loans starts accruing the semester after the loan is disbursed, even if you put a temporary hiatus on payments. And yes, the 7.9% interest is usurious by today's standards.

But the government knows darn well it's pretty much the only ballgame in town, unless you want to tap whatever home equity exists. Me? I took 'em out and I'll pay 'em back as fast as I can--I don't like paying the juice anymore than the next guy.

I'm definitely one in favor of personal responsibility, but I will admit that most PLUS loans are granted pretty much willy-nilly without enough verification, or at the very least enough information to the owner of the loan. I know what compound interest means--many don't understand that the other shoe will drop eventually, and the longer you wait, the bigger the shoe.

As I've said before, the financial landscape for higher learning is miles different today than it was in 2004, when I started down that road. Certainly I'd have done things differently, looking even MORE for value for my two D's educations than I did. I also would've done more to pay from daily cash flow, but up through 2007, everything was peaches & cream, you know?
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 2,990 Senior Member
    What is concerning IMHO, is how little traction this thread is getting. I take it as a sign of a "don't ask, don't tell" or head in the sand approach. Which, given the above average interest, expertise and involvement in the entire college process by the CC community is very disturbing.

Maybe folks are holding on to the plausible deniability defense.

Because we are such a short term memory, interrupt driven population it is not only easy, put preferable, to forget that what goes up (housing, economy, value of XYZ) will inevitably go down.

Add all this to the fact that the 'college dream experience' is marketed to the most vulnerable of audiences - parents who want the BEST for junior - and we have the current, waiting to explode, mess.
  • RunsWScissorsRunsWScissors Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    I think anyone who is borrowing obscene amounts of money through the Parents Plus program to send their kid to college is not going to admit it here or even to their friends. We are planning on taking out a small amount to fill the gap, since we have no equity to borrow on, but I have done my research and have no anxiety about repayment. The stories that get all the press are head scratchers, but people do all sorts of crazy things for crazy reasons, excessive loans are just another example.
  • CTTCCTTC Registered User Posts: 2,082 Senior Member
    from the quote above from the article: "“The night she got there she said, ‘Mom, this is the air I was meant to breathe,’” J.C. says of her daughter. J.C., 58, is divorced and makes about $50,000 a year. She anticipates PLUS loan payments of $400 to $500 a month, which she says she can handle."

Little Snowflake gets to breathe special (ha!) air, and Momma gets to pay $400-$500/month for that. Ridiculous!
    Maybe you're right. Maybe there's also a growing stigma, since the almost-economic collapse, of borrowing too much just to get their Johnny or Susie (excuse me, Matthew or Megan :)) into their dream school. I know I'm more cognizant of that.

But...if you can pay it back, what's the big deal? For the parents with only one income, job insecurity, or little to no savings, PLUS loans are just the wrong thing to do. But for those with savings earmarked for their kids' college in retirement vehicles, the 7.9% interest is high but a necessary evil to avoid the taxation from early withdrawals.
    Ehhh...I guess to a certain extent it's the Parent PLUS loans and all the college systems that promote it that are in cahoots, but I don't know if it was consciously planned that way. Believe me, if the stock market & housing prices hadn't dropped by 40% between 2007-2009, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Debt has turned into a dangerous word the last few years.

My next door neighbor, whose oldest D will be a college freshman this fall, called to ask me about the 'award letter' they received. Work-study, Stafford loans (subsidized & unsubsidized), & Parent PLUS loans. I told him that ain't no award, buddy. I advised him, in true 'do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do' form, to take the least amount of loans possible.

Will it all blow up, like housing? Or worse? Better? Bailouts? I think there is some serious PLUS money out there that is being deferred--because it's ridiculously easy to do--that the interest clock is ticking away on.
  • RunsWScissorsRunsWScissors Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    ^^^^^^ times a thousand