Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Schools for the Wealthy Elite

tigerwingstigerwings Posts: 17Registered User New Member
edited July 2013 in Parents Forum
I have always wondered besides the ivy league schools, what schools have a high percent of really wealthy kids. A lot of the good old boys. Does alumni network/contribution tell you that ?
Post edited by tigerwings on

Replies to: Schools for the Wealthy Elite

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 31,865Registered User Senior Member
  • XtremePowerXtremePower Posts: 1,661Registered User Senior Member
    To figure that out, just look at what percentage of students receive fafsa grant.
    UC-Berkeley is a top school but around 38% receive the fafsa grant.
    At UMichigan, only 15% got the fafsa grant.
    So Michigan has more rich and snobby kids than UC-Berkeley.
    http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/economic-diversity-among-top-ranked-schools
  • tigerwingstigerwings Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    so there are a lot of really rich people at Caltech, Notre Dame, and Princeton ? I guess that correlates well with the alumni network factor too
  • tk21769tk21769 Posts: 7,112Registered User Senior Member
    Have a look at colleges where alumni from elite boarding schools matriculate:
    Choate Rosemary Hall: Academics » College Counseling » Matriculations
    St. Paul's School ~ Matriculation
    Phillips Academy - College Matriculations & School Profile

Notice the number of small LACs (along with the US News top 25 or so national universities and a few selective state flagships.)
  • stanatedjstanatedj Posts: 306Registered User Member
    Check out High Point University - Often called the "Country Club of Colleges"
  • AlexandreAlexandre Posts: 21,404Super Moderator Senior Member
    40% of Michigan undergrads are from OOS. The majority of those pay full cost, which adds up to well over $200k over four years. It is safe to say that the majority of those OOS students come from wealthy families. Also, given Michigan's reputation in the state, the University also attracts many students from the wealthiest families in the state. All the way back in the early 1990s, close to 60% of Michigan students came from families with household incomes over $100k, which meant something back in those days. UVa, NYU, Duke, Northwestern, BU, George Washington, Georgetown and many top LACs are also known for having wealthy students.
  • TheAtlanticTheAtlantic Posts: 1,105Registered User Senior Member
    This made me laugh, i don't know why. Just the idea of someone wanting to go to a college because it's filled with privileged kids.

I have heard of UVA having that rep though
    No offensive, but to me, Michigan is a state school. I am sure it is pretty easy to get in for in state students. Also, only 40% oos can not compete with other national universities.
  • TheAtlanticTheAtlantic Posts: 1,105Registered User Senior Member
    No offense, but what's the point of this thread? It seems sort of elitist in nature.
    Just curious to see where most of the 1% end up going to school.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 32,388Registered User Senior Member
    Why are you interested in this?

There are many expensive private universities that have wealthy students, and good alumni networks.

There are also many less "elite" schools with good alumni networks.

Other threads indicate you are interested in engineering. Look for ABET accredited schools...that should be your number one criteria as a prospective engineering major.
  • JHSJHS Posts: 13,770Registered User Senior Member
    Something you ought to know: The phrase "good old boys" does not imply great wealth, and certainly does not imply any kind of elite status. It's used primarily in the South, or about Southerners, and it generally means a man of the people, someone who is working-class or who is comfortable hanging out with working-class men and who is very social in that context. A small-town sheriff or construction foreman is likely to be a "good old boy." The local banker, maybe yes, maybe no. The local Harvard grad, or the richest person in town, probably not.
  • sally305sally305 Posts: 4,744Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe the OP means "old-boys' network"?
    Yeah, I heard that you can make a lot of good connections at Ivy League Schools, and thats the key sometimes. I am assuming where ever the wealthy elite, the more connections there will be
  • sally305sally305 Posts: 4,744Registered User Senior Member
    But tigerwings, people who are wealthy and connected want to associate with other people who are too. They would likely be able to tell quickly if someone was using them for their resources. I just would not suggest "following the money" as a strategy in choosing a college.