Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

Replies to: Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 59,380 Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Student should sign up for orientation. In some cases, the early dates mean earlier registration time for classes compared to frosh in later orientation dates.

Before orientation, student should check what first semester courses are needed for his/her intended major(s).

Before orientation, student should check placement guidelines for English, math, foreign language, etc. courses that s/he may take in college. If AP or IB credit is involved, it would be a good idea for him/her to try the old final exams of the courses that the AP or IB credit allows skipping.
  • gobluemom85gobluemom85 Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    Find out if the school has a parents' office. They have a huge amount of information. Many have parents FaceBook pages too. You can get info specific to your school from parents who have recently been there. Another suggestion is to plan to do something nice for yourself in the first few days after drop off. :-) A lot of parents plan a side trip if the college is far from home.
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,322 Senior Member
    Immunization! Health insurance doesn't cover immunization in general, so either do it at the school or the county health department
  • powercropperpowercropper Registered User Posts: 1,280 Senior Member
    When I went to move in day for my own freshman year (back in the dinosaur age) I was totally unprepared for uppperclassmen to descend on our car and just start taking my stuff inside. It wasn't packed well, things were thrown in at last minute willy nilly, and my name wasn't on anything. Thank goodness it was a tiny LAC and all my stuff made it safely to my room.

At large universities they may not have helpers waiting to unload your car, but do find out what the rules and routines are. Some make you reserve a move-in window of time. One friend was required to dump their son's stuff on the sidewalk (in downtown Atlanta) and then go find a parking spot.