Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

Replies to: Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

• canals68canals68 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Get winter jackets that are 3-4 interchangeable pieces. LL Bean, Eddie Bauer etc. Make will teresapip3@gmail.com gear that has a vest that zips into a fleece that zips into a weatherproof shell with detachable hoods and maybe even an interchageable down option.
    As far as storage, I know someone that rents a small self storage room for $85/month. Their son puts all his stuff there for summer and does not have to lug it home.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 8,236 Senior Member
    @whatthewhat - just regular twin is fine. You have to XL the sheets or they won't fit but the comforter/duvet in twin will fit.
  • dennehydennehy Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Yes that is what we did for my California kid going to Chicago; it's very hot there in August so we got him as needed when needed. He had Doc Martens and when they weren't enough we upgraded.
  • mtrosemommtrosemom Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    I would agree with the assessment of buying the winter clothes after being there. The student won't need winter gear for a few months, and it is good to see/hear what "local" wear. We live in a hot western summer climate but a cold snowy winter climate. My kids never need as many outer layers as I think they should wear. We have a lot of North Face, REI, and Patagonia technical gear thanks to outlets and Sierra Trading Post.
  • acdchaiacdchai Registered User Posts: 336 Member
    Do send them with some moderate winter gear or buy soon after arrival though as when I moved to Chicago from CA we had a snow event in mid-October that came up pretty suddenly.
  • DedicatedParent4DedicatedParent4 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Sometimes, my child calls me and she is shivering, lonely, and very very sad. So, as a an excellent dedicated dad, I sent her a stuffed animal. All better. nice. Pack a stuffed animal for ur child.
  • GoodZackGoodZack Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2016
    Roadside Assistance!!
    I wish I would have thought of this months before my D went to a college 1200 miles from home. Two months into the first semester and she called to tell me she was 40 miles from the campus and had run out of gas. Her roommate had offered to bring her gas in a gas can but the roommate needed money for gas (for her car), money to fill up a gas can, and money to buy a gas can. After over two hours, talking on the phone to two girls, trying to figure out how to transfer money to the roommate, and a giant migraine my D made it back to her dorm. The very next thing I did was look up roadside assistance programs. I found one that was just $20 a month and had unlimited towing, gas service and flat tire service.
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 8,236 Senior Member
    ^ good point. We keep the basic AAA for minor stuff (gas, battery, tire) and our car insurance add-on for long distance towing (it''s a lot cheaper than AAA's gold service)
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 3,424 Senior Member
    We add our kids on to our AAA membership when they get their licence. Just add ds18 last week and when I called I was told that because of a promotion there would be no extra charge for him until our renewal date (April 2017). I thought that was a good deal:-)
  • efinandefinand Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    DOLLAR STORE. Wow, I simply couldn't read all of this thread! Made it about halfway... maybe will pick it up again later. Anyway, I searched this thread and didn't find any results for this, so at the risk of repeating something already said, let me add these 2 words : Dollar Store. I went in one the other day (the true "Dollar Store" where everything in there is really one dollar) and found great kitchen supplies that would be very appropriate for a boy in a dorm. DS is going to an expensive school in an expensive city and his meal plan is most likely not going to last the semester. He will HAVE to eat microwave or other food in his room and as such, may need some basic kitchen utensils. I got a cutting board, chef's knife, small strainer (for noodles (or washing fresh fruit/veggies -- oh I crack myself up)), can opener, oven mitt, serving spoon, chip clips, tongs, large bowl, for-- you guessed it -- under $10. He may never use them, but it's worth the "investment."
  • WfMomRNWfMomRN Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    A passport - This is an excellent idea for the summer prior to senior year of HS. There are so many to-do-lists why not spread out the expenses & valuable time and complete this early. You may want to plan a trip out of the country as a graduation gift.
    Open an banking account in HS freshman year. Wells Fargo has an account just for this age. This gives them an opportunity to learn expenses, pin, transferring money via app, automatic deposit for summer jobs in their junior year. Do you really want to save EVERY life lesson for the summer before college?
  • RyanG1207RyanG1207 Registered User Posts: 462 Member
    A Passport Card or another government issued picture ID for your non-driving students going away to college.
    Electric blanket is an idea.