Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

Replies to: Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

• JamieHowardJamieHoward Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Biggest recommendation is a mattress pad + topper. Near impossible to sleep without it. Ask me about how old those college mattresses are
  • NusaDuaNusaDua Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    tonymom I live in CT. I would suggest a North Face Jacket which is a very popular brand. Most guys will just wear boots like Timberlands. I doubt he would wear thermals. I see the guys wearing shorts even when the temps drop they are pretty tough.
  • nicksolenicksole Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    This is really helpful! Thanks! I just showed my parents :D
  • NJCornellMomNJCornellMom Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    Yes, we did our purchases over the course of a lot of months. I have found that the kids take less with them to school each year. Neither of mine has ever requested a thick mattress cover, though many on here claim they are vital. We do have the dust mite type with minimal padding. We don't really unpack their things when they come home, so that it's easier to send them back. We do a quick unpack and re-pack each August, deciding what they still need and what might need to be bought. The challenge, is finding room for each kid's college things in the house, keeping it all separate from what they have at home. I keep a checklist/spreadsheet ready to go for each of them, too.
  • mtrosemommtrosemom Registered User Posts: 1,651 Senior Member
    My daughter (a 2015er) loved the matress topper and said that her friends were jealous. We bough it on Amazon. D15 is at a school across country, so she put everything into storage over the summer in a space shared with other kids not from the area. This year she didn't bring much back with her except for some kitchen stuuff that she didn't need the first year.
  • artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    Best purchase so far has been the extra long phone chargers and the 10-ft chord on the surge protector! It's nice to be able to reach the top bunk with some extra give.
  • momofsmartdancermomofsmartdancer Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    I will ditto artskids. Additionally, we bought a bunk bed cell phone holder from Dormco that holds her cell phone and her glasses.
  • GrainraiserGrainraiser Registered User Posts: 346 Member
    One of the cool things I have seen for college students are the night stand lamps with built in phone chargers. Those are great ideas and they can be purchased at Walmart for less than $15.
  • RyanparkRyanpark Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Collegereadykid.com has some good resources. They give away a lot of free content.
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection Registered User Posts: 1,681 Senior Member
    Given recent weather: Raincoat, umbrella (or 2!), water-proof shoes or boots.
  • nshhehnshheh Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    edited February 12
    don't forget a proper talk about protection and stuff (if yours still needs one lol)