Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

1192021222325»

Replies to: Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

• TestiveSlyTestiveSly Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Definitely recommend a mattress pad! Although be warned, some schools don't allow foam mattress pads due to fire hazards, so check with the school first. There are some really nice cotton ones out there too.

If your kids are in an undergrad business school, they might need some business clothing too. In some classes, students may have to dress business casual to give presentations in class.
  • marrastmarrast Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    edited March 31
    Delete. Comment on wrong thread.
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    My daughter is attending far from home and she picked up a cool trick from the girl she's rooming with next year. That family is also from far away, and while her older sister went to this same college they always had a small storage locker in town to keep "stuff" like off-season outerwear, boots, furniture over the summer, etc. When she comes home this spring it'll only be clothes and the rest is staying behind. In fact as parents we received a coupon in the mail from a storage facility out there (though I'm not sure it's the one they used.)
  • Ran the DadRan the Dad Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    My D will major in the sciences at UICU this fall. I want to prepare her for the academic rigor of the sciences and calculus on the college level. Not sure if that's a class, self-study, tutoring or what. For my oldest (graduating Spelman on time next month) we spent a few thousand sending her to Landmark in Vermont for a few weeks of prep due to her ADD. However, she still struggled freshman year with the gen ed courses. Anyone else thinking about the same issues/concerns of what to do with them over the pre-freshman summer???
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 1,857 Senior Member
    Ran the Dad (I can't tag you because of the spaces in your user name, I think). I'm wondering how common this is. Anyone else ever do this? I'm thinking that if she was admitted to UICU as a science major then she is prepared already. She's probably not different from any other freshman. I do think you can point her to all the resources available on campus for extra help. Make sure she has a list before she goes.