Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which College Majors Lead Graduates to Their Parents’ Basements

1101112131416»

Replies to: Which College Majors Lead Graduates to Their Parents’ Basements

• woodlandsmomwoodlandsmom Registered User Posts: 305 Member
    He attended Oklahoma State University. He was able to attend a class in New York where he met several executives on Wall Street and he was lucky enough to graduate in 4 years.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 4,815 Senior Member
    @Conformist1688 you are right- that's a big part of the problem.
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN Registered User Posts: 1,967 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    Wouldn't they just move back to their room?

The idea behind living in the basement is that it is more private. Often the adult child gets their own living room, bedroom and bath down there.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 3,659 Senior Member
    @Pizzagirl I think it depends on the family and the house. In many homes moving into the basement is almost like having an apartment. They can be as autonomous as they wish.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 30,427 Senior Member
    I've never understood the living in the basement thing either. People clearly have much nicer basements than I do :)

(I say as my parents have a bedroom in my basement...)
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Registered User Posts: 8,920 Senior Member
    This is interesting. I always thought "living in the basement" was a joke, the idea being that your parents are shaming you and don't want to see you. I imagine it as a nasty basement.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 49,578 Senior Member
    S#2 slowly moved to the basement when he was in HS. It has a door to the outside (so he doesn't have to come upstairs), a kitchenette, bedroom, full bath, desk/workstation area and living room type area. So when he comes home to visit, he prefers to stay down there, as it's more comfortable and familiar to him. We have remodeled it and it no longer looks like a "man cave" . Its actually quite nice down there, and I spend a fair amount of time down there. We used to joke that I was going to be just enough of a nag that they wouldn't want to come home and live in the basement. I apparently did too god of a job as both live now on the opposite coast!
  • BeeDAreBeeDAre Registered User Posts: 1,151 Senior Member
    We don't even have a basement for our D to move into. She'd have to move back into her 9x11 ft bedroom.
    We have a third bedroom my husband uses as his home office, but it's the same size as hers.

If it comes to the point where she cannot afford housing, but is working, we can help her out financially with a deposit, etc. and maybe part of the rent for a while. I'd rather do that than have all three of us in this tiny house again. It worked the whole time she was in school, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work so well after college grad and she's more independent.

• tangentlinetangentline Registered User Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Brother is 27 and still living at home, but he didn't graduate college. I lived in this house all my life throughout college and got my first engineering job in town ~~ So going to save up on all those rent and living expenses I never had to pay :)
  • btayx0btayx0 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I can't say I find living home with Mom and Dad too embarrassing. My father didn't move away from home until he married my mom so he could focus his salary on getting his loans over with, rather than having them lurk in the distance (plus my grandparents were quite old, they needed him). It's what I plan to do when I'm done. I'd rather pay them off and get on with my life, I hate when I owe.