Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Which College Majors Lead Graduates to Their Parents’ Basements

Replies to: Which College Majors Lead Graduates to Their Parents’ Basements

• RoentgenRoentgen Registered User Posts: 1,457 Senior Member
    I did a Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree as part of the 6 year combined BA/MD program at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. I must have missed the memo about being relegated to living in my parents' basement. I'll go right now and tell my wife and newborn that we're moving out and moving back in with my mom and dad. I'm sure she'll be absolutely ecstatic (/sarc off)
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 50,828 Senior Member
    ^ You didn't do a terminal 4 year degree. You went to med school. BIG difference.
  • RoentgenRoentgen Registered User Posts: 1,457 Senior Member
    @jym626, Yes, I was being sarcastic. My point being that it's not a terminal 4 year degree by any means, but let's face it, most Bachelor's degrees aren't terminal degrees to begin with, because you have way too many people going to college these days. I guess that's what happens when going to college becomes a "right".
  • atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,226 Senior Member
    My basement is a separate apartment. I wouldn't mind having my soon-to-graduate son as a tenant. I would give him cheap rent, and he'd be able to save $. My oldest son has lived in someone else's basement apartment (1000s of miles away) since he graduated from college 5 years ago.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Registered User Posts: 7,152 Senior Member
    A number of my grad students live at their parents' home while attending grad school because it's cheaper; I guess they'd be counted in the "living at home" category. An even larger number continue to list their parents' home address as their "permanent" address because it lends stability; so in a certain sense they could also be considered to be "living at home," though I don't think the Census Bureau counts that way.

Curious that 37% of "Liberal Arts and Humanities" majors are living at home at age 25, but if you look at actual social sciences and humanities majors, the numbers are much lower: 26% for English majors, 26% for Fine Arts majors, 30% for History majors, 22% for Linguistics and Foreign Languages majors, 22% for Philosophy and Religious Studies majors, 29% for Psychology majors, 26% for Social Sciences majors. (I know, "Social Sciences" isn't a major at most schools, either, but at least it's a recognizable category). Also notice that these figures are in the same ballpark as many STEM fields: 26% for Biological and Life Sciences majors, 22% for Computer and Information Sciences majors, 23% for Mathematics and Statistics majors, 26% for Medical and Health Sciences and Services majors, 23% for Physical Sciences majors. In light of that, I think the figure for "Liberal Art and Humanities" majors should probably be disregarded entirely, because it doesn't reflect the pattern for any recognizable liberal arts field.

Nationally the most popular major by far is Business, another "practical" major. But by this metric, 27% of Business majors are still living at home at age 25--a higher percentage than English majors, Linguistics and Foreign Language majors, and Philosophy majors.

By age 29, a higher percentage of Computer Science, Bio, and Physical Science majors are living at home than English or Social Science majors.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Registered User Posts: 7,152 Senior Member
    juillet wrote:
    Let's instead talk about how the average age of first-time homebuyers is 35 because nobody in my generation can afford to save up the the $100,000 necessary to purchase a $500K home yet

This is a very good point. Most of the young people I've known who have recently moved back in with their parents after college did it to save money, either for some additional educational credential or for a down payment on a house. They were working, but it's hard to save for a big-ticket item like a graduate/professional degree or a house if 25-30% of your gross income (or more in some high housing cost markets) is going toward rent.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 7,401 Senior Member
    I read a book called "The Boomerang Generation" on the topic of kids worldwide living at home after college. I wouldnt break it down by major in this way: it is a larger phenomenon. (And "liberal arts" is a major in adult learner or degree completion programs, online programs that cannot offer a full range of courses in a narrower area, or in schools that don't have the ability for some reason to offer narrower liberal arts majors.)

I read, two years ago, that 82% of college grads live at home. Sorry I cannot cite this. Whatever. Time isn't the most reliable source of information, in my opinion.

It can take a little while to get that first "real" job. And yes, it can be very helpful to parents to share rent with their working kids (I am one of these. I had to move to a one bedroom when my youngest moved out of our two bedroom.)
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 12,060 Senior Member
    Let's instead talk about how the average age of first-time homebuyers is 35 because nobody in my generation can afford to save up the the $100,000 necessary to purchase a $500K home yet

A lot of people in your generation are also getting married later and having children later. Single people and childless couples often don't feel any great desire to buy a house even if they could afford it.
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,317 Senior Member
    When my kids grow up and want to major in "basement" major, I will sternly tell them that I will respect their choices with my love and will support as much as I could ONLY if they are confident enough to shine among all
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    What does that mean?
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,317 Senior Member
    ^^^^ this is what I meant.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,195 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Anyone with ambition (the ole 'get up and go' spirit) can be a success with any major.

I agree with you 100 percent. However, there is selection bias in these types of surveys as the people with "getup and go" tend to stick through the more difficult majors like engineering or accounting. People who aren't self-starters tend to end up in the majors that are easier academically.

Another form of selection bias is the majors themselves. You don't see major criminal justice and fire protection majors from highly selective schools. These major tend to lead to jobs in law enforcement or the fire department, not the kind of place a Harvard grad generally wants to end up.
This discussion has been closed.