Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Internationally adopted kids applying to college

14567810»

Replies to: Internationally adopted kids applying to college

• preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 1,620 Senior Member
    Our daughter came home from China in 1998. Today, her college asked for proof of citizenship before any award of FA could be made. We were a little surprised, but emailed a copy of her passport to the office. still waiting to hear back.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 772 Member
    Somewhat related...how many of you who have adopted from a country which requires dual citizenship have renewed your child's birth country passports? I have one expiring this year and I'm trying to figure out if a trip to the consulates in NYC will be needed. One of them expired a few years back and they are from two different countries.

As it relates to college, has anyone indicated dual citizenship on your child's application?
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 3,556 Senior Member
    @MAandMEmom, I would talk to my kid about dual citizenship and let him or her make the call.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 772 Member
    Good point @oldmom4896. Wonder if it might help for certain schools where holistic admissions is part of the equation. DD did apply to boarding schools as a dual citizen.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,529 Senior Member
    The financial aid director at that university said she would have to bring her passport in person to the financial aid office. If she did not, we were told she would not receive any financial aid, though merit aid would still be awarded

This is actually correct. Federal regulations require the FA office to confirm citizenship by viewing the original document (passport or C of C) before releasing federal aid. Many schools will process the aid upon receiving a copy of the passport, but cannot release it until they view the document.

If they don't question citizenship, then they don't have to see the document.
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 346 Member
    So pretty much we can dot every I and cross every T, and still possibly be asked to provide proof of citizenship.

• bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 3,424 Senior Member
    Exactly. The paperwork simply hasn't caught up with the law; the kids who were adopted as infants when the law was changed are only now entering college.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,529 Senior Member
    But the college shouldn't question citizenship if you dot every i and cross every t, including having the correct status at SSA. My daughter was never questioned. She started under the 'old' system of FAFSA, so didn't get the FSA ID until the second year. I know many more people who had trouble getting state driver's licenses than issues with FA in college.

Not every adopted child because some countries still do not finalize adoption in that country. The parents fail to finalize and then citizenship doesn't attach. I think the financial aid regulations are in sync with the law. Citizenship needed.

If we had been questioned, I don't know if I would have just produced the passport or made the school show me why they were making a citizen produce the extra documents. Sometimes I'm willing to stand my ground, other times I just want it over with. Depends on my mood and how much time I have.

I usually fill out forms and just provide the information requested, but I never provide SSN. I never provided it to the high school, and there was one scholarship where it wasn't required but citizenship was. They never questioned it. I don't think it asked where she was born, just where she went to high school and if she was a citizen. Somehow it all worked, they matched her scholarship to her college with just her name (and 4 phone calls).
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 3,556 Senior Member
    @twoinanddone, I had all the x's crossed and i's dotted, and my daughter was asked for proof of citizenship so she could receive her Pell grant. We brought her passport to orientation and that was that. I didn't think it was a good time to create (or not eliminate) roadblocks to the beginning of her college experience. I know you've had all manner of difficulty to straighten out with your daughters' college billing and aid. We've had none of that at all. You just never know.
14567810»