Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Internationally adopted kids applying to college

12346»

Replies to: Internationally adopted kids applying to college

• emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,041 Senior Member
    edited January 15
    @MAandMEmom,

When we had to send all my son's original documents (it was right after they announced you needed to passport to get into Canada and Mexico and passport offices were overwhelmed) it became a huge ordeal. S's summer camp was going there on a trip to Canada and because his birth cert says he was born in S. Korea he couldn't use that, so he had to have a passport.

We sent all of his originals with application and they got caught up in some snafu and no one couid tell us where they were or why. I called both my Congressman and Senators and finally Congressman's office was able to find out that they were in a "lock box" in New Hampshire - but not why they were there. They were able to work their magic and got them unlocked and his passport issued and fed exec overnight right before he was leaving for camp.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    @emilybee similar story here! Came home in June 2001 and made appointment to get laser vision for myself in Canada in late-September of 2001. Yup right after 9/11 trying to re-enter the US with a child with no passport and a carload of people wearing cataract glasses. Quite the ordeal...
  • BobsMom321BobsMom321 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    <snip> there was a gap between when the Citizenship Act kicked in and when they began sending the CoC automatically to adoptive families... many families didn't get them. And as of 12/23/16, I am told, the fee for a CoC is going up to $1,150., about double the current fee. That's a lot of money for one document, thought it is an important one. I know many families who have gotten passports for their kids and have used those as proof of citizenship with no issues... and others who have not been able to get passports without a CoC!<snip>

Exactly. Oldest DD still doesn't have her COC but she does have her passport. She applied to and was accepted to several colleges and universities, public and private last year. She was also awarded scholarships and a little gap FA. We were never asked for any proof from anyone.
  • MareekahMareekah Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks to everyone for the excellent info. Although he has a US passport, we applied to Homeland Security for a C of C for our adopted foreign born son (HS Junior) because of the current anti-immigration climate. I wanted to warn those who need a C of C that we are STILL waiting--4 months later. There must be a huge backlog. Also, because the entire country is transitioning to the "Real ID" by 2020, kids like mine must bring copious vital records, including adoption decree etc etc to the DMV in order for their kids to get their learners permits & drivers license.
  • begoodbegood Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    We applied for the C of C on May 29. It was approved August 18, but the Oath Ceremony wasn't held until November 15. So it is a long process. Hang in there. Worth the effort.
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,177 Senior Member
    edited March 5
    @Mareekah: Things have gotten worse. We were told in December that the expected wait for the CoC was about 16 months.(Perhaps they knew there would soon be a flood of applications...)
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 3,502 Senior Member
    I recently applied for a replacement CofC (actually since my daughter is over 18, she had to apply but since I lost the original one, I did all the paperwork and paid the fee and she just signed). I received a confirmation letter that pointed me to a USCIS website that shows processing times for different forms filed at different USCIS centers. I just looked up the processing center for certificates of citizenship applications, N600, and it shows that they are now processing applications filed by May 31, 2016.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processingTimesDisplay.do;jsessionid=abcKeFwLrc8vhbBybmHQv
  • BarbalotBarbalot Registered User Posts: 312 Member
    On the CofC, has anyone actually used it for identification/citizenship purposes? My D, adopted from China, and I will be traveling to Europe later this week. While I'm 99 percent sure there won't be a problem with her getting back into the US with her passport (which says she was born in China), in the present climate nothing surprises me. I'm definitely not carting the CofC along. I'm thinking of taking a photo of it and keeping it on my phone, though.

I got the CofC about 10 years ago after procrastinating a long time, and I'm glad I did, despite the cost, which is about double now.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 11,017 Senior Member
    There must be a huge backlog. Also, because the entire country is transitioning to the "Real ID" by 2020, kids like mine must bring copious vital records, including adoption decree etc etc to the DMV in order for their kids to get their learners permits & drivers license.

My adopted daughter needed the exact same document to get a driver's license as my bio daughter and I needed - a passport. We were given the option of producing a valid passport or a certified birth certificate with a SS card or other forms, and since it was easier to get a new passport (all 3 of us had expired passports) than to get new birth certificates from one state for me plus another state for them and the other documents, plus we needed the new passports anyway.

I used my daughter's C of C to get her original passport when she was about 4 years old. I have never used it since. Each new passport application has accepted her expired passport, and I use the passport for everything else - sports registration, schools, college, new jobs, airplane travel (even domestic).
12346»