Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Internationally adopted kids applying to college

12346»

Replies to: Internationally adopted kids applying to college

• emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 10,855 Senior Member
    edited January 15
    @MAandMEmom,

When we had to send all my son's original documents (it was right after they announced you needed to passport to get into Canada and Mexico and passport offices were overwhelmed) it became a huge ordeal. S's summer camp was going there on a trip to Canada and because his birth cert says he was born in S. Korea he couldn't use that, so he had to have a passport.

We sent all of his originals with application and they got caught up in some snafu and no one couid tell us where they were or why. I called both my Congressman and Senators and finally Congressman's office was able to find out that they were in a "lock box" in New Hampshire - but not why they were there. They were able to work their magic and got them unlocked and his passport issued and fed exec overnight right before he was leaving for camp.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    @emilybee similar story here! Came home in June 2001 and made appointment to get laser vision for myself in Canada in late-September of 2001. Yup right after 9/11 trying to re-enter the US with a child with no passport and a carload of people wearing cataract glasses. Quite the ordeal...
  • BobsMom321BobsMom321 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    <snip> there was a gap between when the Citizenship Act kicked in and when they began sending the CoC automatically to adoptive families... many families didn't get them. And as of 12/23/16, I am told, the fee for a CoC is going up to $1,150., about double the current fee. That's a lot of money for one document, thought it is an important one. I know many families who have gotten passports for their kids and have used those as proof of citizenship with no issues... and others who have not been able to get passports without a CoC!<snip>

Exactly. Oldest DD still doesn't have her COC but she does have her passport. She applied to and was accepted to several colleges and universities, public and private last year. She was also awarded scholarships and a little gap FA. We were never asked for any proof from anyone.
12346»