Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Internationally adopted kids applying to college

123457»

Replies to: Internationally adopted kids applying to college

• ammobiammobi Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    My daughter was adopted from China. FAFSA flagged her also. The schools asked to see her passport fir proof of citizenship. It was a pain but. It so bad.
  • momtoamomtoa Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Yes I had the same experience with my daughter adopted from China and born in 1999. I did get a Certificate of Citizenship for her when she was young but it turns out that Social Security had her listed as a 'legal alien' and that raised a red flag. I was able to send a scan of her C of C to the schools and that was satisfactory. But what I also did, and I recommend this, was go to our local Social Security office with all of her documents and have them change her status to 'citizen'.
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    @ momtoa

That happened to my first daughter as well - her SS card came with "not legal to work" stamped on it. Luckily my town is small enough that I took it to the local SS office at the time and they fixed it. Same number, just the card came back the right way. With my second daughter, there was not that problem.

I did keep a photocopy of the wrong one, just in case. Lord knows we all have a box of papers from those journeys :x
123457»