Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• klinskaklinska Registered User Posts: 327 Member
    Congrats to your D, @Fishnlines29 ! Such great news!
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    Wow, @Fishnlines29! Congrats to your D! She has an exciting year ahead!
  • MSU88CHEngMSU88CHEng Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Congrats @Fishnlines29 --how exciting for your D!
  • Queen's MomQueen's Mom Registered User Posts: 2,197 Senior Member
    Wonderful news @Fishnlines29 !
  • 93pilots93pilots Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    @Fishnlines29 congrats that is so cool!!!
  • mackatarinasmommackatarinasmom Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    @Fishnlines29 That is awesome news! How did she manage studying abroad for her freshman year? What a great opportunity!
  • tacocat333tacocat333 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    Congrats, @Fishnlines29 ! What an honor!

TacoSon had a rough day with Spanish but I think he is back to feeling he'll just ride it out. The pressure to get a B or higher is off, and we may explore a Pass/Fail option, but it's more likely he'll leave it as is. He'll have the IB exam in May, and after that there's basically nothing to do until his last day of school, so there's that to look forward to. I suggested he take the SATII for Spanish just to see if he can place out of FL in college, and he flatly refuses to take any tests he needs to get up early for on a Saturday (IB is during school hours).
  • curiositycat333curiositycat333 Registered User Posts: 964 Member
    Congrats @Fishnlines29 Freshman year abound sounds original. Was it something she wanted?
  • Fishnlines29Fishnlines29 Registered User Posts: 955 Member
    Thanks everyone! I haven't figured out how to tell Drexel we have to withdraw from admitted students day this Saturday. :-S

@mackatarinasmom and @curiositycat333

Yes, she decided to apply to NYU's Core Liberal studies program as her first choice after we sat in the information session about it during the Open House in the fall. For this program you spend your first year abroad taking core classes in either Paris, Florence, London or Washington DC. The program touts smaller class sizes and more interesting core classes. She felt the program would fit her perfectly, giving her a chance to explore (in more of a philosophical manner) prior to committing to the sciences. She chose Paris as her 1st choice and lucked out! I gave her an "out" last night if she didn't want to go that far, but she's still all in.

• eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 2,472 Senior Member
    @Fishnlines29 how wonderful!!!! Congratulations, that is so exciting. I'm in the city for work right now and thought of you as my cab went by NYU earlier tonight!

@tacocat333 hugs! We had a rough year with Spanish last year with S17 and its brutal in French with S19 right now. For totally different reasons though.

I will be very curious to see how S17 "really" feels about some of his schools when reminded that he will have to take a language at some. He too, refused to try to test out last year with a SAT II test. My gut right now is his short list of 4, may really turn into 2.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 898 Member
    @Fishnlines29 -

Congrats on NYU and the year in Paris. As for Drexel, just email them asap and say something came up; they may have a waiting list. If you are ready to commit to NYU, you can just thank Drexel and tell them that your D has opted to go forward at another school. They will appreciate your freeing up the spot for someone else.

@eandesmom - Have fun in the city! How long are you here for?

We have the FL issue as well with Techson17. He was able to get by 4 years of Latin, which translated into 2 years of HS credit because the program in our district is very history based and that's a strong suit of his. NYS requires one year of FL for graduation, 3 for an advanced diploma but since he dropped math after geometry, the advanced diploma wasn't happening anyway. FL is one reason why he is pursuing BFA programs, as most of them don't have it. He plans to take ASL and will defend it as being valuable for theater tech as it is a way to communicate without disturbing people.

One of his schools, the one that we haven't visited yet because it's so tough to get to, allows CLEP for math credits. It's moving up on his list because of that.

I told Techson17 today that he has to make up his mind by May 1 and he seemed shocked.

We are doing a local accepted student day at the far school on March 12 and accepted days for the 2 privates down here as well. The second weekend in April, we are going upstate for an accepted students day, audition/interview for the BFA and a campus overnight at the school. We are also going to see a musical theater performance and wander around the town. I have bribed my 20 year old son, the best driver in the family, to take us up. It's in NY, but about 8 hours away...
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 898 Member
    Our HS has an 85% attendance rule. If you miss more than 15% of the classes, you can fail. However, excused absences can be made up and college visits are considered excused. My SD is very hung up on college stats so they really do try to be extremely accommodating for college stuff. It's really tough to fail on attendance if you are halfway diligent.

@curiositycat333 - Saturday detention sounds so Breakfast Club. We don't have Saturday detention here; it's a very Jewish area and even non-religious Jews, like me, would not tolerate a Saturday detention. Here, detention is served after school for an hour, can be multiple days, in a quiet room known as "The Tank,"
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 2,472 Senior Member
    @CoyoteMom we will be spending the night in philly, not at the mall lol. And yes, I realize I am likely driving an extra 90 minutes to make that happen...for a night. He will not get to see much. I am a bit annoyed by the whole thing to be honest, it's a boondoggle for him lol. But I splurged on the hotel and good friends are meeting us for dinner so those things ease my annoyance. Oh well, at least we won't have the "you didn't let me visit, maybe it would have been great" conversation later. Despite him saying, and I kid you not, in the same sentence. I know I don't want to go there. But I do want to visit it.

SMH

My concern with UVM is partially the science/math lineup of the ENSC versus the ENVS programs but really more driven by the supremely cool sustainable/renewable/energy options in the sustainability concentration offered on the ENVS side that seem SOOOO him. Although so does the policy option. It is interesting as there really are almost too many options there.

The Environmental Program offers a major in Environmental Studies (ENVS) that can be pursued in four different units:

the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS)
    the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS)
    the College of Education and Social Services (CESS)
    the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources (RSENR)

On the Science side....

Students can elect to pursue the environmental sciences major through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, the College of Arts and Sciences, or The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources. A common set of foundation courses (biology, chemistry, mathematics, and geology or plant and soil science) and core environmental sciences (ENSC) courses is a uniting experience between environmental sciences students in the three schools. Students then choose to concentrate in one of nine focus areas; this is where studies begin to branch out and differ.

It seems to me that he would have substantially better networking, research and internship opportunities within RSENR either way. That is what he is admitted to at present.

@curiositycat333 that's too funny. I went to college to major in broadcast journalism. Couldn't stand the entry level communications classes. Majored in poly sci. Because well, I like arguing politics. I am in sales and marketing and my joke is that i got my degree in professional BS and it's paid off well. Because really unless you go to law school (which I likely should have done but really didn't want to) what does one do with a poly sci degree?

I did love my classes though. And never took calc.