Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• kt1969kt1969 Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
    @eandesmom You rock! I think my only update is just found out merit for Muhlenberg--exactly as the NPC predicted, 12K. :) Thanks for your hard work.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,063 Senior Member
    Yeah, the list is a bit crazy huh! I'll definitely do a short list after 5/1 with the final choices as it's unwieldy as it is to be honest. Great for research though I think, I will be referencing it for S19!
  • 93pilots93pilots Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    Thank you @eandesmom! Congrats to all the kids!
  • tacocat333tacocat333 Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    Thank you @eandesmom ! TacoSon got acceptance to Franklin & Marshall last week, $18k/year grant and about $5k in loans/work study.
  • MSU88CHEngMSU88CHEng Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    Thank you, thank you @eandesmom --The list is awesome! Somehow my S's SUNY Albany acceptance got shifted 1 school to St. Olaf, and there is one update for him as well--he's accepted at SUNY Buffalo (not that he cares, it's officially off his list). Thanks for all your work on this, it's an amazing amount of information!

We're still in a major holding pattern. S only applied to 3 schools (Buffalo, Albany, and MSU)--all were match schools for him, and he was accepted to all of them, although a bit surprisingly, with no merit to Buffalo... After the initial visits, Buffalo was not a real contender anyway, so he's focussed on Albany and MSU. The Accepted/Scholars visit to Albany was great. So now, he's mainly waiting to see if he gets into the Albany 3+3 law program--Probably by early/mid-April. He has an Accepted Students visit at MSU with a special program for his major (James Madison Residential College within MSU) at the end of this month. So even though he's down to 2 choices, I don't see a decision from him before mid-April...

In the meantime, he's at a Model UN conference right now, and is prepping for his big mock trial competition in April. And trying to keep up in calculus and (surprisingly) French. SIGH...
    edited March 21
    Thanks @tacocat333 and @MSU88CHEng. Sorry about that! That was likely a casualty of having to move the darn page breaks. As it grows I keep having to move it around to fit a page in a post thanks to character limits. I'll fix.

So sorry about French, it's been the bane of my S19's existence.
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    Thanks for all your work on this list, @eandesmom -- it is a gold mine of information.
    @MSU88CHEng keeping my fingers crossed on the 3+3 law program.

I am SO not telling S17 about the 3+2 program at UVM. I figure, if he ends up there, he will figure it out and bring it up if he wants. I'm not sure he has the "sit stillness" for law though lol. The GPA requirements are likely a deal killer anyway.
  • snooznsnoozn Registered User Posts: 1,008 Senior Member
    I'm always among the lost -- happy to see the updates!

D is down to RIT and Clarkson. RIT is the favorite but also the more expensive naturally. I think it's a combo of the money and not wanting to reject Clarkson because they've been such lovely people. Her visit to RIT for Women in Engineering overnight and Accepted Students day is next week. Perhaps that will seal the deal. She'll be traveling alone for the first time ever. I guess that's something I need to get used to.

Yay, the newer bigger list! I know class of 2018 folks are finding this useful already (including me for S18) and I've seen it linked to here and there when folks are asking for advice. Community service.

D might end up doing a 4+1 BS+MS program in EE, but luckily you don't have to decide until beginning of junior year I think. Plenty of time to figure out if that's the direction she wants to go. I, for one, would never make it though law school and I'm pretty good at sitting still!

@eandesmom, that's so funny about UPS!

@CoyoteMom, I learned how to do arc welding in a HS vocational class and loved it. Thanks to the same class I also know how to grade and bundle tobacco. While I'm fine never examining and tying another tobacco leaf, I'd love to check out one of those maker spaces that seem to be all over now.

@tpcrd66, wait-lists are very much school dependent from my understanding. If the F&M forum here is active you could ask there or check out previous year acceptance threads. If he really wants to go there I'd definitely have him contact the school and find out more about his odds. Good luck -- I hope he'll get a spot.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,608 Senior Member
    Congratulations on the St. Olaf acceptance, @morningside95. My niece went there and had a very good experience.
  • LilyMoonLilyMoon Registered User Posts: 1,832 Senior Member
    D got rejected from UCSB...she was disappointed but still happy with her acceptance to UCD. Looks like that is where she will be going assuming our visit goes well. We are heading to Northern CA for Spring break from NY.
  • jmek15jmek15 Registered User Posts: 629 Member
    Hugs on UCSB, @lilymoon. I think there's a lot of disappointment on the UC's this year. So competitive!
    UCD is a great school, she is very fortunate!!
  • MSU88CHEngMSU88CHEng Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    @eandesmom Yeah French... it's never been S favorite subject, but he's always been at least a 88-ish average student in it. But senioritis... a couple of missing/late assignments, and I'm hoping he can get it on the B+ range again. He's busy, but he still needs to stay on top of things...

@snoozn At least the weather out this way will be better for your D's visit next week--maybe rainy, but no huge amounts of snow like last week. RIT is a nice school--I hope she likes it.

@morningside95 Congrats on St Olaf--It sounds like a great fit for S!

@LilyMoon Sorry about UCSD but congrats on UCD. Although I'm probably as confused about all the UC's as all of you are about the SUNYs...

Good news here today--while S was at his Model UN thing, he got an email from Albany. He's accepted to the Honors College there. :) Now I really have my fingers crossed for the law program--it would be a great program for him, and (selfishly for the parents) WAY cheaper than MSU. DH & I keep telling ourselves not to influence him--we can afford MSU with the merit he has, but Albany would be SO affordable. Plus, I admit I'm torn because I loved my MSU experience, and I can really see him there, too. So, back to the holding pattern while we watch and wait...
  • 93pilots93pilots Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    @kt1969 congrats on Muhlenberg cash!

@MSU88CHEng super nice about Albany, hope the 3+3 comes through for your S.

@LilyMoon sorry about UCSB, things seem really inexplicable at the UCs. Davis is awesome, hope she likes it.

@morningside95 congrats on St. Olaf!