Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,404 Senior Member
    Time to learn "On Wisconsin"!
  • inthegardeninthegarden Registered User Posts: 527 Member
    That badger is too cute! Anybody remember _Bedtime for Francis_ ? Is Francis from Wisconsin?
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,404 Senior Member
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/wisconsin-vilas-zoo-badgers-kaminsky-dekker
    We're very proud of our badgers here, even though the real ones are kind of scary and snarly.
  • CoyoteMomCoyoteMom Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    @rbc1999 - congrats to your D on becoming a baby badger! Love UW's actual badger for your avatar - very confident stride! Cute mascots aside, it is so wonderful that she had two really good options and then was able to pick based on her preference. Yay!! <:-P

@smakl70 - wow - so very cool to already be done with high school!

@Hankster1361 - I think I'm even more jealous that your Son no longer has to attend AP classes, because of course the AP exam itself is the final exam, but here in VA, it is given 5-6 weeks before school is over. CoyoteSon is still a "struggling son of calculus" -- he had calculus homework assigned right after the AP exam which he didn’t understand at all, so it was back to the tutor this past weekend.

Oh well, between his once a week internship on Fridays *and* the beach trip his senior class takes with teachers, and then a week of final exams, (and Memorial Day), CoyoteSon, who normally ignores a calendar ("what would I need a calendar for?"), has figured out that there are only 11 days of classes left over 3 weeks. Senioritis has definitely set in here. :(|)

By the way, another happy day after Mom's Day to everyone on this thread -- while we didn't go specifically for Mother's Day, I did really enjoy the silly fun of Guardians of the Galaxy 2: Baby Groot really stole the show.....
  • curiositycat333curiositycat333 Registered User Posts: 1,112 Senior Member
    @CoyoteMom Sorry to hear your son still has Calculus. While we still have 3+ weeks of school. (And as recently as 2 years ago our school went to almost the end of June so I know your pain. But he really only has serious homework for English & Social Studies. The class that has been giving my son the most homework AP Physics is basically done. They are doing a "modern" physics chapter that really just skimming over what modern Physics topics look like.

He had time to go to a party this weekend on Saturday and we went to see Guardian's of the Galley yesterday. Nice to have a bit of spare hours in the day.
  • 93pilots93pilots Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    @rbc1999 congrats on UW decision and cool avatar that goes with it!

Sending good thoughts to everyone with late-ending schools. Out here the last day of classes was today and now it's finals week, but seniors mostly don't have to take them. S has a couple of projects to finish up, but the heavy lifting is over.
  • rbc1999rbc1999 Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    edited May 16
    Thanks for all the well wishes!

My D17 still has 3 more weeks of school and FIVE (!) more calculus tests. The last test will be the Math Placement Test for the UW. ALL the calculus students in the class are taking it even if they are not attending the UW. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my DD will do well and places in second semester calculus. I think she will want to take Physics that uses calculus instead of algebra and neither one of us wants her to take calculus again.

@twoinanddone, LOL. That's awesome!
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,007 Senior Member
    @rbc1999 Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will update the master doc!

Now I will have to look up the song, if you want to be a badger. It is an adorable mascot!

Lots of work still here, both APES and AP lit have loaded up on homework which frankly is super annoying! not to mention terrible timing with the school musical. Finals are almost a month away still.
  • NolaCARNolaCAR Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    @rbc1999 Congratulations! How nice that the waitlist admit came now instead of in the middle of the summer!

I'm enjoying reading about all the lock-in parties. Neither my HS in Colo. nor D17's HS did/does them. It sounds like a great, fun idea!

I
  • morningside95morningside95 Registered User Posts: 349 Member
    Congratulations @rbc1999!! I've visited UW many times, due to friends and family living in Madison. It's my fav of the big schools up here in the upper Midwest! ISU is great too, but you can't beat the views from Union Terrace, on Lake Mendota! I'm sure your daughter will do well there! Our large HS in the Twin Cities send about 75 kids to UW each year, second only to the U of MN!

And everybody - Do not be fooled by Bucky Badger's cute and quaint appearance. He is a fearsome creature!
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/08/the-worlds-most-fearless-creature-is-the-honey-badger/
  • curiositycat333curiositycat333 Registered User Posts: 1,112 Senior Member
    @rbc1999 Five more tests in 3 week yikes. That's a lot of test for the last week of school. Was this not an AP test? Does the AP not count for placement?

My son has decided in a way to go backwards. He took AP Calc AB last year and did well. His choice for the fall is to jump right into the second Calc class, or take honors. He does need to finish second semester Calc for his major. He doesn't feel comfortable jumping into the second semester of Calc because he hasn't seen it in a year so instead he's planning on trying to sign up for the honor Calc sequence. It means he has to take another quarter of Calc, but it's a subject he enjoys.

As for Physics defiantly have her take the Physics with Calc. And finish Calc before she does. I honestly think that if you understand Calculus it's the easier way to go.
  • rbc1999rbc1999 Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    edited May 17
    @curiositycat333, all students are required to take the UW math placement exam prior to registering for classes.

The Calc AB AP exam counts for college calc credit, but only if she gets a 4 or 5. I think that my D's teacher is trying to get them more prepared for that placement exam. If she doesn't place into Calc BC then she may or may not re-take Calc AB. It is not necessary for her major. I totally agree with you about Calc and Physics. She said to me just the other day that she would have done *much* better in Physics last year if she had known Calc. I told her that it would be the same as last year if she took the non-Calc Physics class because they would be trying to explain the science with the wrong mathematical tools. I don't this she needs Calc BC for introductory Physics.

Your son is very smart to retake Calc if he needs it for his major! I don't think my D will make it to Physics for at least a year since she also needs to take 2 semesters of Chem and 2 semesters of Bio *plus* one sem of Physics in her first 4 semesters. She needs them to apply to her major in January of her sophomore year. I wonder if she can take a refresher course right before she takes Physics or if it'll start out slow enough on the the math.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,949 Senior Member
    In my Daughter's Cal I class, more than half had had calc AB or BC in high school. She had not. She got an A and many of them did not because they considered they were retaking it and thought it would be easy. Nope.