Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

1291292293294295297»

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,066 Senior Member
    So quiet here these days! I hope everyone is having a nice fall and kids acclimating at their schools and for those of us with more to follow in this process, that it is going well and you are surviving it!

S17 seems to be doing well. The grades are solid, one not so great mid term so far that is balanced out by the rest of the work to still be livable. He has definitely jumped in and has made a lot of friends and seems to be quite busy and social. He is a bit concerned he doesn't know exactly what he wants to do yet and that "everyone" else already knows. I think he's fine and am not concerned. We had a lovely lovely almost 2 hour phone call this weekend, initiated by him. It was parents weekend and we were unable to attend so I think that was part of it but it really was the most relaxed call we've had since he left.

@MSU88CHEng you scare me with an S15 who doesn't turn in homework....S19 is known for this and it's a real issue in his classes and one of the reasons I am not thrilled with the idea of him going too far away (or spending at the top end of the budget). We will see, I am hoping for junior year improvements but I am also not holding my breath. YAY for seeing both boys!

@NolaCAR that sounds like a lovely get together! A few of us have talked about doing something with local moms but nothing organized as far as I know.

@techmom99 I hope drafting has gotten a bit better!
  • smakl70smakl70 Registered User Posts: 234 Junior Member
    I was thinking of digging this thread up yesterday but life got in the way. We pick S17 up tomorrow afternoon for fall break - really just a long weekend but I'll take it. He hasn't been home since we dropped him off in mid-August and only made the trip to see him once for a short afternoon visit. He doesn't call frequently and when he does I think it's more out of obligation than really wanting to talk to us - which I interpret as he's settling in nicely and I know he's made friends. He says classes are going well and he seems to have found a good balance between work and play. Really hoping he opens up a little this weekend but he's always been a kid of few words.

@eandesmom Great to hear that S17 is doing so well!! I agree he doesn't need to know what he wants yet just narrow down the options and he'll get there. I can't believe a 2 hour phone call with one of my boys - neither likes to talk much. I'd be floored (and super happy).

@techmom99 according to my S14 an ME major - a lot of drafting is about which program they are forced to use. Some are MUCH better than others. He's an experienced drafter and has used at least 3 different programs with varying love/hate. He is dreading an upcoming class that, depending on the prof he gets, would end up forcing him to use the one he likes least.
    @smakl70 I think the 2 hour call was, for him, his version of parent's weekend. We've not seen him since August and won't until December and while he is super happy..I do think being around all of the other families was a bit hard. He initiated the call and said he wanted a long one. It really was lovely. He is a talker and sharer though, much more so than the other three. We would be lucky to get 15 min out of the rest. Combined!

Have a wonderful long weekend...being together even in silence is a good thing.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 1,747 Senior Member
    @smakl70 and @eandesmom -

The drafting is going a little bit better, but it's old fashioned hand drawing, which Techson17, with his dyslexia and poor vision, isn't excelling at. I told him I failed the same class in HS and, while I also have bad eyesight, I am not dyslexic. I think next semester, he will do CAD, which he did in HS. He also has some rendering classes in his major, which I always thought meant turning pig lard into soap, but I guess I was wrong.

I am looking forward to seeing him the last weekend this month, when my 21 year old and I will fly up, rent a car and go to family weekend. I will see the show in which he is doing basic lighting tasks.

Recently, my MIL, bless her soul, turned 93. H and i visited with the 3 oldest boys. They set up phones on the table so that Techson17 and D could be there while we sang Happy Birthday to her. MIL was a little confused about how it all looked, but she was happy to have all of her grandchildren "together" in one place, so to speak. I could see that Techson17 needs a haircut. It will have to wait for Thanksgiving, I think. He's only ever had his hair cut by someone other than H once and he hated the cut.

Glad to hear that the kids are settling in and finding their stride and @DMVmom, that your son is recovering well and that you are enjoying the unexpected time with him.
  • 93pilots93pilots Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    Dropping by to say hello, even though there is no longer any "business reason" to be on here I got caught up in everyone's stories last year and it is great to her that all the kids are settling in (or, in the case of @DMVmom, on the mend) and doing well.

From this end--I think things are going okay for S at Reed, as far as I can figure. I thought he would be in touch constantly but that hasn't been the case at all...he mostly texts and it's hard to tell too much other than that he likes the community and the work is challenging. No idea how he is doing because there aren't any grades to look at--that is taking some getting used to! Very much looking forward to seeing him next week at fall break and finding out more.
  • MSU88CHEngMSU88CHEng Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    edited October 17
    @techmom99 Good luck to techson on the drafting class! And I hope you had a good weekend with him. S15 is in his last day of his Fall break, so he's been home since Friday and will drive back to college tonight (only 45 min away). It's been great having him home!

@DMVmom I'm so glad that your S17 is on the mend. And the late night conversations sound heavenly!

@eandesmom Yes, I have several cautionary tales about S15 and not turning in homework... And it continued into college. He got a D in a gen ed music class his 1st semester freshman year because he pretty much didn't do any of the online busy work for the class. The prof didn't grade it until right before finals, so he COULD HAVE done it anytime, but just didn't think it was important. So he ended up retaking it the next semester. SIGH... Live & learn... I'm not saying anything for fear of jinxing it, but his school reports midterm grades on the portal (he's given us guest access), and all seems well this semester (but shhhh, I didn't say anything)...

We got the first "reality check" phone call from S17 this weekend. Nothing horrible, but he got a couple of "meh" grades on a paper and a test last week, so he was stressed about a midterm this week. So, the honeymoon is over, but he's still engaged and determined. I'm sending him a care package this week--the moms from our high school all got together this weekend to make up treat bags for the college kids. It was fun, and I think the kids will be happy.
  • eahazeahaz Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Need some Cali help! Job change means we are moving from NC to AZ and want to include some west coast schools to our applications. Of course, we know nothing about them, since our search was concentrated (and in good shape!) on mid-atlantic/south. We'd love to have him closer than the east coast. Also, both of us parents are familiar with big engineering schools -- son wants small to medium LAC or university. He's graduating 2018, but this thread has been so informative, I thought I'd ask here.

His stats:
    GPA hovering around 3.0 unweighted, 3.48 W from highly ranked small private high school. Will have 6 APs, 2 with B's, others TBD

ACT: 34

And therein lies the dichotomy of this child -- very bright, nerdy, loves politics, history and philosophy, wants a service type career, but ADHD and can't seem to turn in his homework. He should be around other inquisitive intellectuals, but we also want him somewhere where he can succeed that offers some type of support.

What we've found: Occidental & Santa Clara -- out of reach or reach
    Chapman, LMU, USD -- reach to maybe
    Redlands, Whittier, UPacific, USF -- probable, but could surprise us with a "no"

Of course, merit aid could also be a determining factor. No need-based aid will be available, but who wants to spend $70K a year when there's other great options? He understands this as he's probably going to continue with a masters.

@socalmom007 @TimEnchanter @Gumbymom @CAtransplant @eandesmom Your posts have been helpful already! Any thoughts?

We'd appreciate your impressions & input!! THANKS!
  • CAtransplantCAtransplant Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    @eahaz what would you like input with - whether those schools sound like a fit for your son, what his chances at merit might be? of the schools you listed, I've visited Occidental and USD with my daughter - and she visited Chapman without me and liked it. I've also been to Santa Clara campus as it's near my home and husband got his MBA there at night while working.

I think Occidental is a great school and might be very good for your son. It might be a reach, my daughter did get in but had a higher GPA than your son. She did not get any merit there though. It's a good school for bright and nerdy :-) I don't know that Chapman or USD would be as good a fit - from what I've seen they seem to attract a bit more "traditional" student. Redlands might be a good fit - I didn't visit but liked what I've read about it - just keep in mind it's a bit out of the way, it's not right in LA but about an hour away and I guess it can get pretty hot. I've heard the area around it might not be the greatest either? But it seems like a really supportive, nice place.
  • eahazeahaz Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @CAtransplant Thank you! Looking for all input. I have never even heard of some of these schools, so have no preconceived notions or stereotypes about any of them. Thanks for the admissions/aid input on Occidental. It's hard to find a match for nerdy and bright
    edited 8:42PM
    @eahaz that’s pretty much the list I am working with for my S19 who fits the nerdy but bright, adhd (likely aspie) bill.

For him, I’m actually hoping to push him towards Seattle U or U of Portland as the merit will be better. He thinks he wants a big state school but I think that is likely a terrible idea. You might also want to look at Northern Arizona as well.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,616 Senior Member
    ^^Maybe he's your WWU kid, a smaller state school?
    @twoinanddone

Maybe. I worry about him getting lost with their gen ed but if he got into Honors it might work and he should have a chick of AP credit to@twoinanddone He will apply there though, I think.