Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• mommyrocksmommyrocks Registered User Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    Crossed off: University of Nebraska -- the city of Lincoln was way too small and boring for my daughter, and the only students we saw walking around there were drunk.
    Moved up and was selected: University of Minnesota-Twin Cities -- beautiful campus in two big cities, and they worked harder than anyone else to recruit her, including taking her to dinner and lunch, giving her a tour of labs with a professor, and offering her a stack of scholarships.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,652 Senior Member
    @citivas said
    Our Rutgers tour guide remains the worst of all 20 or so tours we have done and is still the occasional topic of conversation he was so bad

I have never stepped foot on the Rutgers campus, but I have seen several stories on the local news over the past couple years, that interviews Rutgers kids (man on the street kind of thing) or has them comment on something.
    I know exactly what you are talking about!
  • lauriejgslauriejgs Registered User Posts: 374 Member
    @binky17, fantastic! And how lucky these students are to have you.
  • Mimi2018Mimi2018 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    Go Ducks!
  • WalknOnEggShellsWalknOnEggShells Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    @NEPatsGirl, interesting. You're daughter sounds like a well rounded kid. Truthfully, I think Skidmore would be a hard sell on my daughter. I'm torn about which kind of school she should attend, but she really isn't at all, and I think Pappa has to face facts.

For example, Greek life and sports are two things that she thinks are good indicators of schools she'd like. She just told me this on our last trip. To be honest, I wouldn't want to see her at a super liberal school, because I land pretty close to the middle on most things, but for me, hippies and independent thinkers are a good indication of a school I'd like to go to if I could do it all over again :-)
    @citymama9, thanks for the Bucknell suggestion. I neglected to mention that all of the schools I named as good matches are schools that we most likely won't be able to afford. I'm afraid to even take her to Bucknell, because I think she'll love it. Union is the only one I mentioned that seems to give merit aid to mere mortals.

Realistically, I think we'll be hunting in the Fairfield, Loyola Maryland, Hobart College part of the jungle. I think Union and Lafayette might come into play if she gets really serious about the SATs over the summer, but I'm not counting on it.
    edited April 21
    @happy1, my daughter liked Lafayette, but we really didn't see much. Her impression was mainly based on the town. She liked that it was very close to the campus, and that she could easily get to restaurants, drug stores, etc.. She loved Union because we saw a bunch of the kids and she felt like she would fit in there.

Both are a long shots, especially Lafayette. I'll take you up, and PM you. Thanks.

BTW, I agree, this process is scary. We just know too much. My parents were clueless. My Dad was looking for the cheapest good option; my Mom was looking for the college that would provide the best connections. Both great ideas, but pretty basic, and both requiring far less research than what we're all putting into this process :-)
  • mjrube94mjrube94 Registered User Posts: 347 Member
    @WalknOnEggShells, for what it's worth, my daughter loved Fairfield. Nice campus, lots of new building and investment, and a small Honors Program. Great location between NYC, Boston, and near Hartford. They gave D a merit scholarship of about $22k (I think) that made the cost reasonable. It rocketed up to #2 or 3 on her list after her second visit.
  • klbmom18klbmom18 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Fun thread to release some stress.

Up

Barnard -- loved the intimate focus on individual growth. Athena scholar program described and sounded attractive.
    University of Richmond -- beautifully kept campus. Tour guide was a dancer so DD got a great summary of the dance opportunities. Loads of financial support. Very professional and seems like would be good experience. Dining hall great, with Passover section clearly available.
    William & Mary -- another beautiful campus, but very different as it's so historic. Impressive new science facilities. AO gave clear description of course requirements at W&M. Dance minor available. Lots of tradition.

Down

Columbia -- AO talked 55 minutes about the core -- totally turned off DD.
    American -- beautiful facilities, and great Communications center. Perfect for journalism or govt or IR majors, none of which applies to DD's interest
    Emory -- Quite disappointed. But can't place why. AO went on and on about Oxford College and Atlanta, and didn't talk about Emory curriculum at all. No sense of the community. Construction everywhere. But DD saw bunheads which made her happy.
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    @WalknOnEggShells I noticed Loyola in Baltimore on your list and wanted to point out that it is also very generous with merit aid. D17 applied there. While she has a solid GPA, her SAT was average so I was surprised at how much she received. Several of her classmates with better scores got substantial aid from Loyola. I know many people who've gone to Loyola but didn't know much about it until we visited. I was very impressed. Unfortunately, the downside to D17 is that we live only 45 minutes away and D17 wants to go further away to school. Her top choice was Fordham but the merit aid she got was not very significant and it was simply too expensive.
  • crazymamaBcrazymamaB Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    @WalknOnEggShells My D is finishing her junior year at Loyola Maryland. She graduated top of her high school class and received significant merit aid there. She chose it over Lafayette and Villanova (the other two in her final three) due to the differences in costs. The Jesuits know how to do education. I have been surprised by the rigor of the curriculum and even as a STEM major she is receiving an incredibly well rounded education. PM me if you have questions about Loyola.
  • WhatSallyWhatSally Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    edited April 22
    Crossed off: George Washington and Penn on account of not having enough of a separate campus from the surrounding cities
    Chicago: beautiful campus but the "where fun goes to die" logo and myth(?) of grade deflation

Moved up: Tulane: great spring weather, fun NOLA vibe and a slurpy machine in cafeteria
    Miami U: (Florida) Beautiful campus and weather, laid back vibe
    Georgetown: warm and interesting other admitted candidates and warm reception of professors and admissions staff, beautiful campus only concern was how expensive restaurants etc are in the exclusive neighborhood
    Yale: really interesting tour and quirky nerdy tour guide ... didn't love neighborhood

Moved down: Case: unsafe Cleveland neighborhood and stressed out looking students