Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

1132133134135136138»

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• Rivet2000Rivet2000 Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    edited July 17
    Maybe. HMU started off has his #1 then fell off his list entirely (with a thud). I guess the good news was that he was accepted at the university that moved up to the #1 position. And he is very, very, happy there.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    @4MyKidz wrote:
    My D21 crossed off University of Colorado-Colorado Springs, the moment she heard our tour guide announce how students don't have time for fun stuff because of studying

When I read these anecdotes, I have to ask, "really?!" I mean, did the tour guide really say "student's don't have time for fun"as quoted, or was there an interpretation of something else? It is mind blowing on multiple levels.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    @simba9 wrote:
    ^^ Wow, really. I've never been on campus, but the people I know who went there seem like they'd rather be hacking away on a computer than partying.

For many HMC students, those activities are not mutually exclusive.
  • 4MyKidz4MyKidz Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Yep, the tour guide really blurted that out. It was unfortunate. We went to another college in Colorado and my husband struck up a conversation with the barista at the campus cafe about how he liked the school, etc. And the barista said it's great until finals when you have to walk around stressed out bawling nursing students. Uhm, big alarm bells as our daughter was interested in studying nursing! Seriously, can't make this stuff up. So my advice is to talk with random folks you happen to see on campus visits. You can learn some insightful info.
  • 4MyKidz4MyKidz Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Yep, the tour guide really blurted that out. It was unfortunate. We went to another college in Colorado and my husband struck up a conversation with the barista at the campus cafe about how he liked the school, etc. And the barista said it's great until finals when you have to walk around stressed out bawling nursing students. Uhm, big alarm bells as our daughter was interested in studying nursing! Seriously, can't make this stuff up. So my advice is to talk with random folks you happen to see on campus visits. You can learn some insightful info.
  • exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 689 Member
    Pomona fell off for my D for the simple reason that she got tired of the constant refrain by the tour guide that admission to Pomona was more competitive than it was to many of the Ivy League colleges. She felt this smacked of a lack of self confidence. Her comment was, "if they are as good as the Ivies they wouldn't need to constantly broadcast this fact".

UCSD fell off too because there was too much concrete. Potentially amazing location but whomever designed the campus seemed to like roads and concrete.

I really liked Swats. My D didn't. She was really bothered by the fact that they had one main dining hall. Guess she wanted more choice.