Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    Speaking of different impressions, I have noticed how I tend to not appreciate schools I see on cloudy rainy days, while D prefers them.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,136 Senior Member
    @IBviolamom All three of those on the list! S19 loved Kenyon this summer and it was very quiet since there were no students. Our Grinnell visit will be interesting because it's also remote but it will be the first time we see a school during the school year. Planning on visiting Mac this fall too...before it gets too cold. LOL.
  • citivascitivas Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    @HopefulHoya1103 We toured Georgetown a couple years ago. Oldest liked it fine but not enough to apply in the end.Middle one who's now in the college process felt the same. They liked the adjacent town of Georgetown. The campus was fine though odd that the football field was right in the center of campus. The two tour guides came across a little too self-aware "preppy," commenting on their matching J Crew clothes and joking that not everyone has to where Crew. And in the info session they polled kids where they went to school and only two in the entire room were from public schools. In the end the requirement of doing an entirely separate application outside of the Common Core and the requirement for 3 SAT 2's (most schools only ask for 2 if that) was enough to drop it off the list for my kids (so far, there's still a third years away).
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    edited September 12
    Would love to hear report back on Grinnell. We just went to a local presentation...the 8 colleges thing. Daughter loved the Grinnell presentation. But that being said we toured Kenyon last winter and D was turned off by the remoteness. We even saw a few Amish buggies drive by. The school was beautiful though. We would like to visit Grinnell but not sure as it is very difficult to get to from our location and nothing else in area to see in terms of schools.
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,530 Senior Member
    @MACmiracle We recently visited a school D fell in love with and it was gray and drizzly. Despite that, everything looked so beautiful and the vibe was upbeat. That's a test, imo. When you can love school under not so great conditions.
    @citymama9 I'm sure that's true. Our nephew visited U of Minnesota during a snow storm and still loved it.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,201 Senior Member
    @homerdog You've started pretty early. I can almost guarantee a shift. I don't think a hs sophomore can really pin a list down yet. My kids changed tons in those 2 years. Don't rule out ED yet. It can be a useful tool.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,788 Senior Member
    @Veryapparent We have visited Grinnell several times, as both our kids were interested, and one was an athletic recruit. Grinnell, Oberlin and Kenyon have a lot in common, but Grinnell remains my personal favorite, and my kids really liked it but went elsewhere.

The town of Grinnell is much more substantial than Gambier -- there is a downtown of about 4 x 6 blocks, lined mostly with 2-3 story brick buildings, with retail/restaurants etc. on the ground floor and probably apartments above. There is a two screen movie theater showing first run movies, a great bicycle shop, and a grocery store with large organic and prepared foods selection, along with pizza, doughnut etc stores. There is a lovely town park, complete with bandshell, playground etc. The residential area around campus has B&Bs, some student housing, faculty homes. The town and campus are a few miles off the Interstate, and once you turn off the highway towards town, it can seem a little bleak with John Deere dealer, Walmart, gas stations -- we always stayed in town, in one of the B&Bs near campus rather than out by the interstate.

Facilities on campus are gorgeous -- the dorms line two sides of campus, one side is brick and older, the other side is limestone and glass and newer. Both have covered loggias (?) above the walkway alongside. Athletic facilities are gorgeous, as are Music and Dining Hall (my family loved the cozy rooms with fireplaces clustered in the dining hall). Students are a blend of everything -- blue hair to Vineyard Vines and did not seem clique-ish at all, and we were looking for it when my kid was on his recruiting visit.
    @doschicos even if S19 makes some shifts, we won't be ED. Want to compare merit offers. :)
  • twobugstwobugs Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Two good friends of D17 toured Georgetown; both loathed it. Found both info session and tour way too long and thought both the person who led the info session and the tour guides were way too pretentious. The impression they got was that the admissions office was doing them a favor just letting them tour. Both had been seriously interested in Georgetown before they visited. Both of them had crossed it off their lists by the end of the seemingly interminable tour.
    And, yes, maybe we started early but all of S19's friends saw schools either spring break soph year or summer afterwards. S19 is a three sport athlete (xc, winter track,track) so can't get away much during school. WIth all of his AP classes, its risky to take him out of school for a day as well.

We saw four schools in the summer (Beloit, Denison, Kenyon, and Oberlin). We will see theee this fall (Grinnell, Carleton, and Macalester) and then spring break to hit some farther away. By then, he should have a good idea and if he want some to add any visits, we have summer before senior year. I don't know how else we could have done it!
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,201 Senior Member
    We visited Georgetown and my kid liked it a lot. Didn't wind up applying due to a combo of the requirements ( 3 SAT2s and own app - which I admire because they get applicants who really want to go there as opposed to so much gaming that many schools do!) and not being as strong as other schools in a few areas of study. For an urban college, it offers a nice campus and lifestyle.
  • IBviolamomIBviolamom Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    @homerdog

@Midwestmomofboys beat me to it! :) I was also going to say that Grinnell has much more of a town within walking distance than Kenyon. My husband and I both agreed that the town looked a whole lot like the town in the Back to the Future movies! Kenyon really just has a couple of restaurants, a coffee shop, post office, the bookstore, and I think that might be about it.