Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• gusmahlergusmahler Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    @twoinanddone I agree with you about the weather. That's what D19's high school counselor said that many people ignore. Keep in mind that the counselor is in AZ. So many of her students only lived in AZ or lived there long enough that the only solid memory they have is a distinct lack of cold weather.

She'll hear time and time again from former students who attended university in a colder place (and since she's in AZ, every state is colder) is that the biggest adjustment for the student is the cold weather.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,277 Senior Member
    @momtogkc Ha! I did the same thing. Didn't want to take S19 to Grinnell in the winter. We actually took a day off school so he could see it last month in the beautiful fall weather. Worked like a charm. We live in the Midwest so S19 knows cold and snow. I just didn't want cold weather to be a factor even if would just be subconsciously if we visited in the winter.
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee Registered User Posts: 487 Member
    All this talk of weather....in 4 years it won't snow in Montreal in the winter... #globalwarming
  • pantha33mpantha33m Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member

We were just at Tulane in New Orleans and I think it was the most humid place I've ever been outside of the Amazon. Despite that, S18 said he preferred it to Northeast cold and would be happy to attend.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,084 Senior Member
    "All this talk of weather....in 4 years it won't snow in Montreal in the winter"

Actually isn't the issue with climate change all about extremes? More snow, hotter summers, more violent storms?
  • LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,214 Senior Member
    Our Texan son toured the MN schools in January...and still chose one. Our strategy was to show him the schools at their worst and see if he was put off.
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    Being from PNW my D is not interested in heat/humidity. Part of the reason Tulane got punted from list. I had to explain there are few places in the US with temperate weather. Indian summer can be miserable in most places in the US if you don't enjoy heat and humidity.
  • dfbdfbdfbdfb Registered User Posts: 3,128 Senior Member
    Actually isn't the issue with climate change all about extremes? More snow, hotter summers, more violent storms?
    It depends on where you are. Here in Alaska, f'rex, our glaciers are receding not mainly because it's getting warmer (which it is, and faster than at lower latitudes), but because that warmth is resulting in less snow—so while yes, the glaciers are melting slightly faster, the real issue is that they're not being replenished at anything approaching historical rates.