Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• fm0101fm0101 Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    OUT - Northeastern, BU, Syracuse, Binghamton - Northeastern - all they did was talk about co-op co-op co-op ad nauseam, BU - Not really a college feel just a bunch of buildings along a street in Boston. Syracuse cold and impersonal. Binghamton felt no connection, need to modernize academics centers, class rooms.
    IN - UNC CH , University of Alabama - D picked to enroll at UA after her visit, loved everything about it.
  • mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,568 Senior Member
    Off list: Williams. First visit was after he was already admitted. Thought it too jockey, too isolated, too much living in a fishbowl.

On list: UChicago. First visit after admitted. Right atmosphere, major league city, strong academic program. Accepted admission offer on admitted students' day.
  • carlson2carlson2 Registered User Posts: 349 Member
    @carchel2 - Miami U as in Miami University in Ohio?
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,418 Senior Member
  • lr4550lr4550 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    Crossed off: Williams and Swarthmore, D felt the vibe was too intense at both; Colby, D just didn't feel a connection; Carleton, a little too quirky/nerdy for her; Tufts, didn't like the Campus and location

Moved up: Middlebury, Colorado College,Bates, Bowdoin. Loved the campuses, loved the classes, loved the overall feeling when she did overnights
  • Marcie123Marcie123 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    Crossed off- BU- too urban and no campus. However, her sister (class of 2018) loved everything about it. Northeastern- didn't like co-op.

Moved up- Scripps. She was initially only interested in CMC but I made her tour Scripps since we traveled to Claremont. She liked it but was still on the fence about applying. She attended a 5C fair and heard admissions officers from each school, turned to me and said, "I think I'm more Scripps than CMC." She later attended a weekend diversity program, decided it was the place for her, and applied and was accepted EDII.
  • WhereIsMyKindleWhereIsMyKindle Registered User Posts: 523 Member
    Moved down the list: George Washington, a perfect fit on paper. She did not like the mega freshman dorm (which we could not see) nor did she like the dining options. We will still do a second visit.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,448 Senior Member
    @NUwildcat92 , I am still amazed at some of the awful tour guides we had at several colleges, form top tier to moderately selective. My D did make a conscious effort to try and forget the duds. On tours when guides underwhelmed us, we just focussed on students around us, which was more useful anyway. One tour had two guides. The guy was pompous, the girl, in training, was lovely. Thank goodness, or he might have put us off. That college is ones of Ds top choices now.
  • YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,309 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Crossed off:
    NYU -- Decided he's not that much of a big city person. Boston ok, NY no.

Moved up:
    UC Santa Cruz -- Loved the smell of the redwood trees and the look of the campus overall.

Moved down:
    Berkeley -- Stories about difficulty getting into classes.