Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Akqj10Akqj10 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
edited April 2016 in Parents Forum
I'm copying the topic from an old thread. So I'll start.
Crossed off List. Bowdoin - Nervous tour guide, arrogant admissions, felt uninvited.
Moved up. Mount Holyoke - Impressive tour guide, beautiful campus and nice Dance studio.
Post edited by fallenchemist on

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 4,992 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Brandeis, off the list after a drive around campus in the summer. Felt like an unloved and unkempt pet. Hamilton, just too remote for my D.

Up the list, after an info session with a panel of really great students, Clark University. Also up the list, SUNY Geneseo. Lovely campus and buildings, students seemed happy.
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
  • BearHouseBearHouse Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    edited April 2016
    Crossed off the list: Bryn Mawr due to admission office issues, poor tour and "cold" interviewer. Reed due to interactions with tour guide that helped her realize that this was not the place for her and, what seemed like, the singular pursuit of academics.

Moved up: Lewis & Clark. Initially, she was not interested and we made her go. However, great interaction action with students, beautiful campus, and a "balanced" academic/social program placed it in her top three. Mount Holyoke due to great interaction with student interviewer. Smith. "This is where I belong." "I hope I get in." We were most surprised by her reaction to Smith. She liked the students she met, the campus, the house system, Northampton and the open curriculum.
  • oneofthosemomsoneofthosemoms Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    Crossed off: Cal Poly Pomona - "Just not feeling it." (I thought it was fine)
    Moved up: CSU Channel Islands - Beautiful campus, close to beaches, relaxed vibe.
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection Registered User Posts: 1,719 Senior Member
    Crossed off - UMich just too big and too pricey. If he wanted too big, he could get that IS for a lot less.

Moved up - Marquette and Valparaiso pretty, mid-sized campus with great engineering facilities.
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 987 Member
    edited April 2016
    University of Richmond was dropped after our visit. It was my D's favorite school before visiting based on Internet research and marketing materials. After visiting, she couldn't get away fast enough. She said it was full of preppy, arrogant, rich kids.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 1,725 Senior Member
    Crossed off: Brown, Trinity (Hartford), Hampshire, Providence College, Gettysburg, Union, Susqueanna
    Moved up: Amherst, Bates, Mt. Holyoke, Skidmore, UScranton
  • Middleman68Middleman68 Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    Crossed off: Cornell, city within a city was a little disorienting for S1 at the time. RPI, didn't like the vibe. Couldn't get away fast enough. In fairness, it was a lousy, damp day.
    Moved up: St. Joe's. Terrific campus. Lots of school spirit. In the city.
    Can't figure out why it didn't move down: Northeastern. Tour guide didn't know anything. He love
  • Middleman68Middleman68 Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    Sorry. Loved it anyway.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,287 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Miami U--- passed a large commuter parking lot (hmmm); a LOT of cows and pastures; the buildings all looked "too perfect"; we were there over an hour and saw no one but white kids. On the way out we passed two Asian students but it was too late. We skipped the school and even the two cute streets on the other side of the campus were not enough to persuade D it would be tolerable to attend.
  • gunnerzgunnerz Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
    George Mason U. in Virginia. Awful tour. Saw the outsides of a bunch of buildings, went into very few.
  • ahsmuohahsmuoh Registered User Posts: 1,343 Senior Member
    Cows at Miami???? How far out and on what road because I am not sure where you saw cows? I advise at Miami and have never seen a cow. Horses, yes.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,287 Senior Member
    Lol no not AT MU.. Sorry, should've been clearer. We came in a weird way and it was literally all farmland almost right up to the entrance. For a kid who wants n urban campus it was not a good fit.