Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

help with classifying safeties, matches and reaches for my D

Replies to: help with classifying safeties, matches and reaches for my D

• rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,404 Senior Member
    UVM gives merit aid to out-of-state students with certain stats, and I think you're right that it's a safety for your daughter. If she liked it, I suggest keeping it on your list.
  • 2muchquan2muchquan Registered User Posts: 2,030 Senior Member
    How will you treat 'Reaches' differently from 'Far Reaches'? I don't see the need for both, unless you plan to treat them differently in some way.

An interesting mix of big/little etc.

• quietdesperationquietdesperation Registered User Posts: 579 Member
    edited April 2016
    @2muchquan We plan to have her apply to 3 safeties, 4 matches, 2 reaches and 2 far reaches.

I realize now I've left off cmu, which we think is a reach as opposed to a far reach. I think we're also moving u mich to reach.
  • WhataProcessWhataProcess Registered User Posts: 570 Member
    Intended major? Some schools, CMU for sure, have VERY different acceptance rates for different colleges/majors. For ex, at CMU, computer science rate is ~5%, vs A&S ~20%. Just something to keep in mind.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,455 Senior Member
    I don't think Rochester is a safety. They had their most selective year ever this year. You can't call a school with an acceptance rate in the 30th percentile a safety. They very strongly encourage interviews and consider interest. They WLed a girl at our school with stats almost exactly like your D's. Your three matches are reaches, IMO. Your "reach" of Wash U is as much a reach as Amherst if you are going by acceptance rate, give or take 1%. From what I see, I think UVM is your only true safety. CW is probably a good bet.

Here is something I learned this last year in helping my senior navigate the process: stats might look great on paper, but there are other super important variables that you aren't considering. Essays are super important, so are teacher recs, ECs, and a bunch of other important and not quite as important factors, including interest as someone mentioned. They all work together to guarantee nothing for the vast majority of colleges on your list.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    The challenge I see with your "safety" list is that while your child is a strong candidate for any of them they are each selective enough that if she really doesn't wish to attend it could affect their acceptance. I would call schools like Case a strong match. They will have other students with stronger stats and accept many students with lower stats. I don't think you can take acceptance for granted.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,940 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    If any of these schools have an EA...early admissions...option..have your kiddo do that. Not early decision....early action. If any have rolling admissions...do that.

That way, your kiddo will know about one school at least early in the process.

Your daughter has fabulous stats, but I think this list is quite top heavy.

What is your instate flagship university?
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 809 Member
    She doesn't like any SUNY schools? Bing? Geneseo?
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    ^ I was also going to suggest at least one in state public option, just to cover your bases. Geneseo gets pretty high marks here on CC and elsewhere for high stats applicants.
  • urbanslaughterurbanslaughter Registered User Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
    @quietdesperation Just be aware that for a white girl from the Northeast the acceptance rate at Middlebury drops to below 10%. Good luck.
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 12,314 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    If she doesn't like any of the SUNY schools, you might want to consider OOS state universities that are hospitable to out-of-staters. The ones that come to mind are Penn State (which has rolling admissions, so you get your answer early) and the University of Delaware. There are also lots of New Yorkers at the University of Maryland, but admission is too competitive for it to be considered a safety for an out-of-stater, no matter how well qualified.

The problem here, of course, is that in a lot of states the flagship state university is the almost-automatic safety school for students of your daughter's caliber, but in New York, with its dispersed SUNY system, life is more complicated.
  • yauponreduxyauponredux Registered User Posts: 446 Member
    edited April 2016
    Naviance data should be looked at in context, which you may not know in a large HS. For example, the admission of the kid with a lower GPA and scores might have been due to being a recruited athlete. Naviance data older than a couple years may not be at all predictive for some colleges if they have become more selective in that period.

Does your D have a favorite where ED would be a possibility?
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    "From what I can see, the challenge is around finding matches that are not really reaches and safeties that are not really matches." - Not clear to me what is a purpose of this classification. How this division will affect the application cycle?
    We never thought of colleges this way, we just researched which ones will offer the Merit awards and D. applied only to them that also happened to be within 4 hours of driving from home as thatt one was her personal criteria.
    Incidentally, my D. had exactly the same stats, she graduated #1 from her private HS.