Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

OHIO Road Trip with Junior daughter - comments or ON the Route add-on's welcomed

Replies to: OHIO Road Trip with Junior daughter - comments or ON the Route add-on's welcomed

• stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,622 Senior Member
    If you're willing to drive 10-15 minutes there are decent chain hotels outside of Oberlin.
  • nycparent12nycparent12 Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    Well, if you stay in Cleveland after R&R Hall of Fame visit, I can tell you some hotels NOT to stay in. My preference is the Marriott Courtyard University Circle, and btw there are some nice restaurants near Case Western (a university that I assume is of no interest to your daughter). But you are probably beating it out of Cleveland. Oh well.
  • jmnva06jmnva06 Registered User Posts: 518 Member
    Heading from Cleveland to DC-- I'd toss Juniata into the mix
  • EarlVanDornEarlVanDorn Registered User Posts: 1,194 Senior Member
    If you should be driving from Columbus to Cincinnati or vice versa on I-71, you could do worse than to eat at the Golden Lamb in Lebanon. It is supposedly Ohio's oldest continually operating business and has hosted quite a few famous personages, including a number of presidents, former presidents, or presidents-to-be.
  • alooknacalooknac Registered User Posts: 960 Member
    Berea was mentioned but I'm pretty sure all students there must have significant financial need, which is probably not the case here.

Personally, I say leave an outlier or two in the mix. You never know till you go. There are many reports here on cc of kids who thought they wanted this or that but after visits came up with very different priorities. In fact there's a whole thread on just that.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,293 Senior Member
    Your original list sounds like a lot of schools.
  • swampdragginswampdraggin Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    edited September 2016
    The list seems somewhere between overwhelming and comprehensive. Visiting 2 places in a day makes them get all jumbled up

Throw in Miami U as a possible safety and take away Ohio Wesleyan if flexible

and with this variety some of the places should be eliminated quickly

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 34,183 Super Moderator
    ^ If you do go to Schmidt's then get the Cream Puff. Yum.
  • bassnma684bassnma684 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Daughter's awards at Baldwin Wallace are not need based, covering >50%, both talent and academic awards. They probably have some need based as well, but not for us.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 7,067 Senior Member
    Agree about Schmidt's. We loved it. As Erin's Dad says, the cream puffs are delicious. There is a reasonably priced lunch buffet that lets you sample lots of different things. Also, great sandwiches and sausage platters.

@DoDEAMom18 , I am in Virginia. William & Mary would be tough with a 3.6 and mid type SAT's, even for instate kids.

Have a fun trip with your daughter!
  • TiggyB62TiggyB62 Registered User Posts: 1,357 Senior Member
    If you are staying off of 80 on the way to Oberlin, do not stay at the Quality Inn. We were full of bed bugs. It was disgusting.
  • DoDEAMom18DoDEAMom18 Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    Thanks for all the great college and foodie advice. FYI - we are flying from Europe and were not sure of the route when booking the flight, hence the in and out of DC flight. Plus it is faster to drive to Columbus than wait for the connection etc, no drop fee for the car rental. We have 12+ days to do the college visits and are open to dropping a college along the way or doing the shorter tour if the vibe isn't there. I am very sure that we are not overwhelmed on our list...we are easy and can bob and weave along the way as needed while still visiting the schools daughter already feels a good connection with. D2 is muuuuch easier going than D1.

Added Baldwin Wallace and am thrilled to see over 3,000 undergrads but skipping Earlham with less than 1,000 students. She is coming from a small-ish HS with about 400 students and wants less than 5,000 but at least closer to 2,000. Most likely leaving the DC schools for the summer trip but will keep our White House and Congress tour,

Daughter 1 has very similar life story and is a third culture kid as well with lower SAT than Daughter 2 and was accepted at all 12 of her schools (don't ask - she added on "a few" at the end) including all of the schools we are visiting including Denison. Never underestimate the URM and interesting back story, plus we found that colleges seem to really like DOD teacher's kids.

No need aid coming our way so looking at the lovely LAC merit aid as a part of the puzzle. Any other colleges on the actual route are welcome as well as good eats. Hotels are all set.

All the college and food suggestions are so appreciated and are on the list so we don't starve... so keep them coming!

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,293 Senior Member
    How about the Penns. schools if you are looking for more but a little different? Gettysburg? York? F&M? Baltimore has Goucher, Loyola, St. Mary's (the private one next to Loyola)
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Registered User Posts: 2,055 Senior Member
    Honestly, I would probably dump Wittenberg. It is a fine school, but not terribly different than many of the schools on your list and it is a bit off your Columbus/Cleveland/DC track.