Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

OHIO Road Trip with Junior daughter - comments or ON the Route add-on's welcomed

Replies to: OHIO Road Trip with Junior daughter - comments or ON the Route add-on's welcomed

• LeftofPisaLeftofPisa Registered User Posts: 1,051 Senior Member
    I'm another fan of Wooster. Nice facilities, positive vibe, generous merit. And while you are there don't miss the Tulipan Hungarian Pastry Shop. Soooooo good! http://www.tulipanhungarianpastry.com/ We also had a very, very good dinner at Broken Rocks Cafe. http://www.brokenrockscafe.com/iweb/Broken_Rocks/HOME.html Yes, for me college visiting was all about the food. ;-)

For an unusual shopping experience, check out the Rubbermaid store. Apparently Wooster is the home of Rubbermaid and there is a HUGE store there. It appeared to be a destination for quite a few folks. Who knew?

Enjoy your trip!!
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,530 Senior Member
    I am anxiously awaiting your reviews! This thread has been so great. Hope your travels are going well.
  • quakerstakequakerstake Registered User Posts: 771 Member
    Here's hoping your trip is going well. I'm very interested in your thoughts on Denison.
  • inthegardeninthegarden Registered User Posts: 567 Member
    @DoDEAMom18 ...when you have a chance to put your feet up, I'd love to hear a detailed report (or at least the highlights!) I'm sure a bunch of us are waiting with baited breath :)
  • exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 721 Member
    Probably the only major disadvantage of Ohio, especially northern/central Ohio, is the weather. The winters are truly awful. I guess you get used to them but they are not for the light hearted.
  • inthegardeninthegarden Registered User Posts: 567 Member
    ^^^ @exlibris97, I transferred to an Ohio school from the South in January many years ago. It was in
    Southern Ohio (Miami U) but, to me it was THE NORTH and exactly what I wanted. As it happened, it was a particularly brutal, snowy winter, but fit my idea of " going away to college." I was so delighted to be slogging through feet of fresh snow from class to class. So exotic! Just like in the movies!!! :)
  • saillakeeriesaillakeerie Registered User Posts: 1,504 Senior Member
    I actually love northeast Ohio winters. The more snow the better. Last winter had little snow. Supposed to get more snow this winter. We shall see.

Central Ohio tends to get the cold but not the snow. Sometimes though there can be snow.
    Sort of off topic, but there are so many great schools in Ohio. The only downside I'm coming across is the airfares are so expensive from all of the cities. Living in NY, I see that it's cheaper to fly to Chicago or Indianopolis, even Orlando which are all further away.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Registered User Posts: 2,055 Senior Member
    Spirt usually runs some cheap flights into Cleveland and Akron.
  • saillakeeriesaillakeerie Registered User Posts: 1,504 Senior Member
    Cleveland no longer has a hub. Not as many direct flights. And less competition. Makes it more expensive in many cases.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,277 Senior Member
    I actually love northeast Ohio winters. The more snow the better. Last winter had little snow. Supposed to get more snow this winter. We shall see.

I did, too when I attended Oberlin. And I love snow.

Funny part about the weather was it was actually snowing hard when I was ARRIVING BACK FROM SPRING BREAK one year. Probably one of the few students who was actually overjoyed at the sight.

• DoDEAMom18DoDEAMom18 Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    Very late reply as we are planning College Road Trip #2 but wanted to pop in and report that we LEFT Baldwin Wallace after being jerked around for over an hour and then being told me missed our tour! They stuck us in a room with a admissions trainee who knew much less than we did and asked the most lame questions. Once we determined that they were a hot mess in the office and then were told by a random student "almost everyone leaves campus during the weekends and it is not safe to walk around at night". We called it a loss and left. The school was plopped right in the middle of a suburb and neighborhood but not in a good way. BUT we loved College of Wooster so that is on the short short list still.
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    @DoDEAMom18 - I live in Cleveland... and BW does not have a great reputation in town. And if I recall correctly, on last year's Forbe's lists (Yes, I know all lists are flawed) it was NOT well ranked (in the bottom 25%). Perhaps you dodged a bullet ;)
    Maybe I missed your post, but what did you think of Denison, Kenyon, OH Wesleyan and Allegheny? Also what did you like about Wooster? Much thanks!
  • MJDRZALMJDRZAL Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @DoDEAMon18 I also live in the Cleveland area. I grew up in the area and went to the High School right next to BW. I LOL when I read the student told you it's not safe to walk around at night. Give me a break... it in a suburb not the City of Cleveland.