Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Class of 2021 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

Replies to: Class of 2021 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

• websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 871 Member
    Our kid had a very relaxing college application process mainly because after he unexpectedly got into his Early Action college (his 1st choice), he stopped completely applying to any other colleges. He's using his free time to participate in various activities he would otherwise had no time to participate. For me it was sad to turn down one or two Honors Colleges with full-ride or COA merit scholarships based on National Merit Finalist status but I was out-voted by other family members.

Basically, our kid's time is being spent on outside HS activities, meeting friends to eat, getting an internship position during summer and getting a study abroad scholarship for a gap year. Unbelievably, Senior year has been the most relaxing year for our kid. He's greatly looking forward to attend his 1st choice college and the upcoming Admit Weekend and hoping he gets the Study Abroad scholarship so he can take a gap year.
  • Notknot77098Notknot77098 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    My son only got 3 apps out - and now is very fortunate to have 3 great choices - I want him to figure this out since UT Austin has begun sending out housing contracts & orientation dates open 3/8 or so.

Accepted auto admit McCombs Business + Plan II Honors at UT Austin.
    Accepted EA Boston College (my alma mater!) Carroll School Management with Honors.
    Accepted Bauer School Business Honors, University of Houston, with National Merit Finalist scholarship.

I am grateful to CC's many positive members who share great information with others!!
  • londondadlondondad Registered User Posts: 2,010 Senior Member
    @websensation Where is he going?
  • KMichKMich Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    D has several acceptances, now she needs to narrow down the acceptances so when we hear from last 3 she is closer to a decision.
    Acceptances:
    Michigan State University
    Purdue
    Ohio State
    Kalamazoo College (she's leaning toward this, very nice merit scholarship)
    Central Michigan (small merit)
    Grand Valley State (small merit)

Wait Listed:
    Butler

Awaiting decisions:
    Michigan
    College of Wooster
    Denison
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 871 Member
    edited February 27
    @londondad He will attend Stanford but may end up taking a gap year. We are not sure yet. My kid took the acceptance from Stanford as a sign that he should not apply to any other schools and enjoy rest of his HS as much as he can without getting Cs. I told him to focus on reading books he wanted to read and improve his writing but so far, he seems to be using his additional time to get involved in non-school, volunteer activities. He wanted to work part-time but most retail stores such as coffee shops want someone who will work more than 3 or 4 months, which is understandable.
    Sounds good. It is hard to turn down Stanford! good luck.
  • GAcollegemom6GAcollegemom6 Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    D applied to a lot of schools (1st child - so it has been a learning experience for all of us)

Accepted to all that we have heard back from (applied EA to all):

U of Miami - no merit
    U of Georgia - in state, earned Zell (free tuition)
    Georgia State - accepted to Honors, in state, earned Zell (free tuition) plus additional merit
    U of Alabama - accepted to Honors, Presidential Scholarship (free tuition)
    U of Florida - no merit
    U of Mississippi - accepted to SMDBHC (Honors College) (free tuition, plus additional merit)
    Florida State - accepted to Honors, merit plus OOS waiver
    Ohio State - accepted to Scholars, Nat'l Buckeye plus merit
    U of S. Carolina - OOS waiver plus small merit
    TAMU - no merit
    Tulane - strong merit
    Pitt - accepted to Honors, merit
    Baylor - merit
    LSU - accepted to Honors, merit
    Troy (hubby's Alma Mater) - received free ride less books

Waiting to hear back from:

UNC Chapel Hill - applied RD (D's 1st choice)
    Vanderbilt - RD
    Rhodes - RD

Right now her top 2 are Florida State and Ohio State. She is pursuing Psych and possibly Neuroscience.
    ^ Why FL State over free tuition at Georgia and Alabama or strong merit at Tulane??
  • Meganerd2012Meganerd2012 Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    edited March 18
    Finally got all decisions!

Accepted to St. John's College MD (w/ merit), Reed College, Georgia Tech, New College of Florida, and Georgia Southern (honor college).

Waitlisted at UChicago (my top school) :|
  • silver67silver67 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    S has acceptances from Northeastern (20K merit), UMass Amherst honors (2K Merit + J&A Adams), Syracuse (25K merit) and was denied from Northwestern and deferred from Yale. We're waiting on Brandeis (hubby's alma mater), Williams, Tufts and a bunch of reaches. At this point Northeastern is looking good.

Meanwhile waiting on D's first SAT scores...she's a junior.

Just wish March was over!