Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Class of 2021 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

Replies to: Class of 2021 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

• TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 510 Member
    @business20211111 - Can you afford to pay full for Berkeley with no financial aid?
  • business20211111business20211111 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    @TiggerDad I am hoping he gets the output, so yes, I am willing to pay ~$240,000 over 4 years, but $100,000 for UNC is still something I am considering.
  • londondadlondondad Registered User Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    @business20211111 I would strongly recommend UNC - CH. First of all, it will be a better overall college experience than Cal and he will be in a more collegial environment. If he does well he should have a great shot at the Charlotte banks plus Wall Street. My friends that have kids at UNCCH love the school.
    @britlass I have seen on CC that many kids are turning down UR to go elsewhere. Has she sent a note to UR with an update on her academic performance and confirming that she will go there if admitted?
  • Ran the DadRan the Dad Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Go to Stanford. Explore possibility of a semester at Columbia. Work in NYC during summers (best time to be here for students). NYC job community loves Stanford folk. Solved.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 828 Member
    Would like to inform those going to Stanford that there is some courses in Stanford which allows you to study in NY for some time and get credits. It's called "Stanford in NY". Problem solved.
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 Registered User Posts: 2,757 Senior Member
    @Momx2boys How will your student make up a full year of costs (~$80-$85k by senior year)?
  • gr8pl8gr8pl8 Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    @business20211111 - I know of many close family friends who have sent their kids to UCB. They start with the knowledge that their kids will not be graduating in 4 years because of the number of classes offered compared to number of students. Cal can give your son a world class education because the kids that have stuck it out and graduated are doing very well and most have gone to graduate schools. The ones that are working now are doing well in their professional life. Hate to be in your shoes.
    @Momx2boys Sounds like a solid plan. Also, have you checked how many credits ND will give you for his APs? If he gets 9 X 3 credits he could probably graduate 1 or 2 semesters early.
  • Momx2boysMomx2boys Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    londondad:

He is exploring that. We already know that his AP Euro Credit doesn't transfer. Knowing my son, he'd rather take more classes instead of graduate early. ;) We'll have to wait and see!
    "Knowing my son, he'd rather take more classes instead of graduate early."

Not surprising! My kids are the same way - "What? Leave college early and get a real job? Why would I ever want to do that!" Also, if the APs can knock out of the core requirements, my kids will probably add another major or minor. I did find the AP Credit list on the ND website and I noticed that they omit credit for History but seem to give it for all the other core high school courses. I wonder why that is?
  • Momx2boysMomx2boys Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Londondad -

I asked this and they said that they feel history is so important, and want ND students to take their history classes to fulfill that requirement. I guess they don't trust that the High School teachers have done as good a job as they can. ;)