Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• jcmom716jcmom716 Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    Yes, thank you for the thread. The 2017 thread was filled with invaluable information as I'm sure this one will be! My S18 is above the GPA, but is more laid back and doesn't like to be the center of attention. Although many of his friends are looking at state schools, he feels they are too big. He would probably do well at collaborative LAC's. We will be following fit and merit.

Anyone looking at scheduling tours over spring break? We toured a few over the summer and plan to use this spring break to tour more now that he is starting to slowly engage in the process. I have a D16 we went through the process with. She knew where she wanted to go and was excited when she got a phone call she was the first to make a deposit. I have a feeling this will be a whole different process!
  • MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons Registered User Posts: 3,720 Senior Member
    @MACmiracle welcome and I think anybody who feels like they fit on this thread, fits on this thread!

Currently D18 is studying hard for the upcoming Feb ACT, and I need to sign her up for the sat (still!).

She also just got her braces off and we found out she needs all four wisdom teeth out, so that will happen this summer (along with her 18 yo sister who's getting them out before she heads off to college).

In the 2017 parents thread I referred to the CSS Profile as a financial proctology exam. Tell your checkbook to bend over and relax, because it's ugly...
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    @MotherOfDragons

I missed the sign up for the Feb ACT, so we're looking at March, or is it April? There are so few places where the ACT is offered here and they rotate. It's hard to find a convenient place.

The dentist has said nothing about D 18's wisdom teeth, but he just told D 13 that she needs hers out. They are showing signs of decay so we can't put it off. We will do it after her graduation in May but I am not looking forward to it. She has TMJ, and I've been putting it off because I'm worried about aggravating it and causing further problems. It's something I have to talk to the oral surgeon about so he can make any necessary accommodations.
  • Texas1820Texas1820 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Thank you for this thread!!! I have been lurking a lot. I feel so out of place in helping my son find a university that is an financial fit and a academic fit. We are in Texas and so many of the universities on this site I have never heard of or so far removed that my son would not even consider them. A 4 hour drive just hits the basic universities in Texas for us. My in laws are 9 hours away and still in Texas!
    I would say S18 is very average in grades 3.17 unw and 4.12 w. He took the SAT with no practice in November and has an 1240. Not great but with a little help he hopes to get it at up to a 1360. He takes the SAT 3/1 and hopes for a better score. 1360 would auto admit to most state schools in Texas.
    Looking forward to the journey they are all to embark upon!
    Just bought the red ACT book for D, who is using it to take the full practice test. It will be interesting to see how she does on this first go-round.

Teachers are doing their recommendations for next year-she was recommended for AP Stats (which she said yes to), and AP lit, which she said no to (likes the on-level classes in lit better, although she currently has a 97 average in there, but I support that she likes feeling like she's really good at that class and is crushing it).

We went back and forth about taking the AP micro/macro economics class, she is afraid of it, so she's going to just do regular gov/econ next year (which her older sister says is a breeze).

If she can keep her grades strong this year (mostly A's right now) she should end up with a cumulative 3.0 by May. Yay!
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 3,964 Senior Member
    Is it that time already?

S2 is totally not interested in any of this. We have had such a struggle just keeping him focused on high school. As of last year his GPA unweighted was 89.6. This year it will slide a bit I'm sure. Never calculated on 4.0 terms, but guessing we are at low 3s, maybe a 3.2 or 3 or so.

He took the PSAT unprepped. I couldn't force another thing on him. Score 1290. His dad keeps pushing on test prep, and he sign up to start in March for the May SAT. However he does, he does. I'm not going to keep pushing him at this point.

I'm not sure he'll be ready to start college to be honest. But 19 months is a long time, so we have to prepare anyway. His talent is in creative writing and film editing. Those far exceed his talent for high school.

We'll see...
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 1,938 Senior Member
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,270 Senior Member
    Is it common for Juniors to take the ACT Feb, April and June of their Junior yr if they want to see improvement before senior yr? (especially if they plan on doing ED the next fall?)
    edited February 17
    I don't know if it is common, but it's the strategy we're taking. I'm learning from my mistakes with D17. They weren't *bad* mistakes (she's going to UA with a presidential+engineering scholarship), but D18 gets the benefit of it.

I will say that D said that the ACT was *packed*, that there were kids standing outside who were waitlisted, and our first choice of HS had already filled up when we looked back in Dec.
  • VaNcBorderVaNcBorder Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    Big week for S18 next week in the 'this is really all happening' stage of the game. ACT scores on Wednesday, SAT scores on Thursday, meeting with academic advisor to go over senior schedule on Thursday and 1st official meeting with college counselor on Friday.

Now, if I could just get him to go see the teachers he needs to see for class options, narrow down his list of possible majors and sit down with me to go over the list of colleges so that he doesn't look at the college counselor like a deer caught in headlights, we would really be headed in the right direction!

I feel we have put together a pretty good list of schools to go over with GC but after D15 first met with him her junior year, she has since referred to him as the 'Dream Crusher'. If that is the case, I will look to all of you to pick me back up!

• sherylflsherylfl Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    So glad to find this thread. We are in Florida and my daughter is only looking at Florida public universities. We have a prepaid plan so it's the best option financially. She really is a good student but compared to the kids on cc she is average. Glad this thread was created for this group of parents/kids.
    D18 is in top 5% of her class and takes the most rigorous courses available. She is now mostly an A/B student with 3.6 uw and 4.2 weighted.
    We are doing our college tour over Spring Break.
    Looking for recommendations for what to do over summer? Is it best to get a job (see what real world is like?); take dual enrollment classes (concerned it really won't bring up gpa even with straight A's) or sign her up for one of those crazy expensive summer programs at a college she is interested just to create better application for college? Thoughts much appreciated
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    @citymama9 That's how it might shake out for us. DD took the February ACT, will take one in March that is provided free by the state, and we will go from there. I hope she doesn't need to take the June one, but it's an option.
    The prevailing thought is that the expensive summer programs don't really enhance your college application.

The D's did nerd camps for fun over the summer, and D17 got into a governor's honors program over the summer last year (which was free and did help her college resume), but I wouldn't do the college summer camps for any reason other than enjoyment (they did enjoy them).

D17 is working over the summer, D18 we're not sure yet, either working or camp.