Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2018 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• mstompermstomper Registered User Posts: 780 Member
    My wife is taking our son to see Ithaca and Syracuse next week. I think he'll be accepted at Ithaca if he applies, but I think he'd do better at a smaller LAC with his anxiety and procrastination issues. My wife and I like McDanie! a lot; it looks like a good fit for him. I can see major anxiety if he goes to Fordham or Syracuse, but his grades will probably keep that from happening anyway.

• trish02trish02 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    @mstomper and @MollyMD Have you heard of the book "Late, Lost, and Unprepared" by Cooper-Kahn and Dietzel?
    It was a huge help for my S18. It might be worth checking out...
  • trish02trish02 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    Speaking of books... I just ordered, "Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania" by Frank Bruni. Has anyone read it? It talks about the anxiety of this whole college admissions process, which I think will help me out. S18 is pretty set, but S19 is going to send me over the edge... I'm hoping this book & a glass of wine will help calm me down. =))
  • pantha33mpantha33m Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    @trish02 Perfect book for this forum, not to mention the rest of CC. Speaking as a Type A Ivy alum, it educated me and helped me to chill out and see the big picture.. His NYT articles are also on point.
  • chippedtoofchippedtoof Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    ^^ I enjoyed Bruni's book and articles as well.
    Is anyone else applying to Willamette? We were trying to figure out if they do interviews (either on or off campus) but I could not find any info on it on their website.
  • 1822mom1822mom Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    @chippedtoof my D is. My spreadsheet says no on the interview, but it could be because, like you, I found no evidence to suggest one anywhere on their website. I just did a search on their site for the word "interview" and everything that came up was from career services. However when I looked at their CDS interview is marked as "important" so :-?? I guess I would say get in touch with your admissions rep about it. Sorry I guess I'm no help at all!

I'm not planning to have my D interview anywhere regardless. She gets anxious at the thought of talking to college reps so I don't think it's to her advantage. She'll have to stand on the other parts of her app.
    Thank you @1822mom that is helpful :) That does make me go hm that they list interviews as important on the CDS... my search yielded the same as yours. Alrighty, it's time to write some correspondence.

Btw, did you tour? The campus looks good on the website, and I get good vibes reading about the school and talking to the AO at the college fairs. S's fall schedule is getting too cramped and since they don't do tours on the weekends, we're not sure we can do it before the app goes in.
  • 1822mom1822mom Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    I did not, but D & H visited this past February. They had a really great visit. Loved the campus, vibe, students/staff were friendly, food was good, they spent pretty much a full day there. They took the tour, and aside from that just wandered on their own to get a feel. Everything they saw was very positive. It's been the gold-standard for pretty much every visit they have been on since (though D doesn't admit that out loud, she refuses to play favorites at this point). My H makes a habit on these trips of poking all around (much to D's eternal embarrassment!) but they were very often met with friendly faces who came out to offer to talk to them or show them around. Willamette was a real gem. I don't know where it ranks for D, but it's high on our list for her! :x
    Thank you again @1822mom! My S hasn't met a school yet that he hasn't liked, and Willamette sounds like another good one. Even if we can't visit, it sounds like we should keep it on our list.
  • KardinalschnittKardinalschnitt Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Anyone have applications in yet? Dd has submitted three so far. She has a lot of affection for all three schools, so we may be done, at least for now. I'm super-jittery about one because I think it would be a really good experience for her in so many ways: University of New Mexico. See? We finally found urban and warm! But it's also the diversity, both ethnic and socio-economic. I don't know, it really clicked for daughter, after spending weeks debating over the other two. I think it's #1 for her. We should get an answer on all three by next month.
    My husband is feeling hesitant to send her so far. We probably won't be able to visit and that bugs him. But he -- and his mom -- would also like her to avoid the US. Dd is actually rebelling against this and was laughing that one of her top choices is Wyoming! Can't get much more of an American experience than that!
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 646 Member
    @Kardinalschnitt Congratulations on getting the apps in!!! I'm excited for you, but it must be hard to think of her so far away.

D decided to apply to an academy. She is very busy these day and any available time goes into that process.

The list I am making has changed a lot because I feel good about her instate financial safeties. I'd like to see her get an app into TCNJ soon. And then another into Rowan or Stockton. After that I'll be able to breathe more freely. Naviance puts her in a safe admit space for all.

There are some schools I wanted to keep in the list just for competitive merit but I'm almost ready to drop them because of the time crunch and because I'm not convinced they are better academically.

Instead, I think she should choose a couple of financial reaches and see how financial aid shakes out. I might always regret it if she doesn't try to find a college that might be a really good academic fit.

It's really stressful for H and I to see how busy she is. But she seems fine. I was hung ho for community orchestra to start next month but now I'm having second thoughts with everything else going on. I just want to tell her not to volunteer for any more work. Being an older, experienced person in her activities and in leadership, she's the one everyone goes to.

Is anyone else waiting for SAT scores Monday?
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    edited September 16
    @Kardinalschnitt we finallly made some headway today.

She got 2 apps in.

The Common app is awaiting the final editing of her essay. She has one I LOVE, but she's not positive it's her favorite. Her English teacher is assigning them one at a time, and giving good feedback, so we'll wait till she has his opinion on my favorite. The rest of the app is complete. That's 5 schools.

She's using the SUNY app for a few schools that don't take the Common App. (Community colleges upstate that have dorms are her safeties .) There's a local college fair tomorrow that will host the 3 schools she's using that app for. But she's working late tonight and tomorrow night; we'll see whether she's up for going tomorrow. (it's seriously about 5 minutes from here.) If not, then I think I'll just bite the bullet and cough up the $150 in app fees; she can see what she thinks later in the year.

And that will cover it.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    On a related topic, anyone else from NY concerned about the effect that the Excelsior Scholarship will have on SUNY chances for non-top-students? My feeling is that they'll see a lot more apps than in previous years. I want my daughter to get those apps in SOON. Otherwise rolling admissions could really work against her.

It's silly, of course. The Excelsior scholarship will only pay tuition-- so we're talking $8000 or so a year. But I'm not the only one at school who thinks it's going to really boost SUNY (and CUNY) applications.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,337 Senior Member
    @Kardinalschnitt My DD2018 has all of her applications submitted. She is done. I am semi-reluctant/embarrassed to admit that she applied to 17 schools. Way more than the 8-10 we had originally targeted. I am expecting a lot of rejections, which is why I think she over shot the target.

It is a relief when they get them in right? Wyoming, what a wonderful place! I understand about the far schools...DD2018's top choice (right now) is U of Washington-Seattle and we are n Houston. When push comes to shove I don't know that she will make the leap. Her Dad is hoping that she will not be accepted (and This is one of her reach schools) so we don't have to face that choice.

We are waiting on ACT score due out Tues. Fingers crossed for your D @MACmiracle hope her scores are available on Monday and she gets a result she is looking for!