Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

PhD admissions - parent experience :)

Replies to: PhD admissions - parent experience :)

• AboutTheSameAboutTheSame Registered User Posts: 2,365 Senior Member
  • MLMMLM Registered User Posts: 690 Member
    Son’s doing well – 7 applications, 5 acceptances, 1 rejection. Waiting on one more. Lots of cross country trips visiting.
  • surfcitysurfcity Registered User Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    Wow - congrats!!! My son has not heard anything, and from my online snooping, most of the schools he's applied to have not sent any letters out yet. The suspense is killing me!
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,100 Senior Member
    I looked at that website last week and, in a rare display of self-protective resolve, told myself that I would not do so again. And I haven't. I'm already a wreck when I think about the grad school acceptance season; I don't want to make it worse.
  • yauponreduxyauponredux Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    Great news, @rosered55 and @MLM! Joining @surfcity in the waiting-to-hear category. D has interviewed at three schools but has two more to go.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 14,148 Senior Member
    @rosered55, what criteria will your D use to make her decision? My D is a fourth year Ph.D student and feels strongly that the "adviser" the student is paired with is of critical importance. This person can make or break the student's entire experience.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,100 Senior Member
    @Nrdsb4, thank you for that tip. I'll ask her if she's considering that. (I said to her this morning, "Will you be able to find out if the people are nice?" Always a mom here!)
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 1,404 Senior Member
    At my school we didn't choose advisers until near end of first year. By that time we had taken classes from many of them or TA'ed for them. Or at least gone to brown bag talks by them and their post-docs.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 14,148 Senior Member
    Wow. D met all prospective Advisers when interviewing. She didn't apply to any school that didn't have an Adviser in her desired specific specialty who was accepting a first year Ph.D student.
  • chzbrgrchzbrgr Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    I think this varies a lot by field. In the humanities, incoming PhD students typically spend the first couple of years taking classes, and so may not pick a phd advisor until several years in, when they begin their dissertation. I was assigned an 'adviser' when I was a first year incoming student, but everyone knew it was just a formality, really he was the person I might go to for advice if there was a problem, but he wasn't an academic supervisor.
    First year chem PhD students in my department took 3 classes a quarter, ta'ed freshman chem or O Chem all 3 quarters, and studied for written comps (given in June)

Not much time for research. That kicked in the summer after first year. So no real need to choose adviser before then.
  • MLMMLM Registered User Posts: 690 Member
    @Nrdsb4 @chzbrgr Each PhD program and college handles it differently. My (chem) son has been visiting the colleges he’s been accepted to and some follow the procedure @vickisocal has mentioned where you take classes the first year and select advisor to work with 2nd year (and begin research the 2nd year) and at other colleges you begin working with an advisor the first year and also begin research immediately.
    I hope they have a lighter class load, because between teaching and my classes I was busy that first year.