Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Nervous Jitters from CA mom

Replies to: Nervous Jitters from CA mom

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 57,486 Senior Member
    2230 SAT, (800,650,780) and 3.94 unweighted GPA.

What was the 650 section of the SAT? Did he retake after this? Did he take the ACT?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 57,137 Senior Member
    CoramDeo7 wrote:
    He has applied to UChicago (his first pick,) MIT, Harvard, Amherst, Williams, Rice, Duke, Northwestern and UCBerkeley.

Based on other threads, he got shut out last year with an all-reach list, took a gap year, and is applying to an all-reach list again (except maybe UCB, but UCB cannot be counted on as a safety).

Does he have any safeties this year, or is his safety plan to start at a community college and then transfer to a UC?
  • CoramDeo7CoramDeo7 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Thanks for all the feedback. @intparent I'll mention Dickinson for him to check out - thanks! He may wind up applying to more schools; he knows we support that but it's ultimately up to him.

@thumper1 his SAT was 2230, +800 in Biology subject test and 760 in Literature. His GPA, weighted with the community college classes is 4.14. His strongest non academic interest is music - beautiful on the viola, violin, piano and tablas. He submitted samples in slideroom on some of his applications, provided link to his soundcloud page on others.

@doschicos I think one thing that changed in the past year is his ability to pull together the college application process better (last year he skidded all his applications in at the last minute and with several errors) and be more sure of himself. Hopefully that came across in his applications this year.

He doesn't seem to care so strongly about the do or die for college that he is willing to put in too much more effort beyond the 9 applications he gave his best to, which took a lot of energy and time for him because he belabored his essays so much. There might be a couple more that he considers. But his thinking is a decision of where he will be spending the next 4 years of his life and getting his higher education is pretty significant, and he would rather only pursue and commit to that if it is at an institution with a lot of research potential, is need blind and can afford to cover almost all of his tuition.

Otherwise, he'd like to explore non college route options like certification in programming (one of his skills) and freelance work, something entrepreneurial. Who knows. I think if a person is motivated enough to learn and succeed there is more than one way of going about doing that. He has certainly surprised us to date with some of his successful ideas.

I'll continue to support the idea of his looking into more safety colleges to apply to. After running head down for awhile in the gift/course of motherhood I'm just taking a moment to process this whole thing of kids becoming young adults and having futures ahead of them - hence 'nervous jitters.' And I still have 3 more to go after him! (His younger 3 sisters - all in high school.)
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 57,137 Senior Member
    Did he check the box on the UC application for any other UCs besides UCB?

If he is highly motivated to self-study CS, he can go through the course materials at https://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/classes-eecs.html (start with CS 61A, 61B, 61C, 70, or CS 10 if very minimal to no programming experience).
  • CoramDeo7CoramDeo7 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Thanks all, truly, for your input and suggestions for my son. He is definitely aware of odds and reality in college admissions. Husband and I will continue to encourage more applications to safeties and support from the sidelines. He is a bright, hardworking and independent kid and will work it out, I'm sure. My aim wasn't so much to discuss my son's credentials and options, chances, etc but to decompress a tad as a parent, away from the college application threads, about the nervous jitters of milestones and college admissions for me as a parent. Wondering if anyone else has moments as a parent where they are eager to see how their children's futures will pan out, and processing at the same time the bittersweetness of letting them go and grow. It's not my norm, but I felt like taking a moment to process it. I think the jitters have mostly passed. :)
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 2,615 Senior Member
    It was two years ago for my daughter and I had serious jitters. My daughter's admissions year went on much longer than expected. We needed merit. She got offers from her first admission in early October until the competitive merit offer surprise in mid-April. It was stressful and a year of shifting sands, but it was worth it and she is now a sophomore at a school that is perfect for her. You can't take the stress away, it is part of the process, hang in there.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    Agree with the poster who pointed out if the 650 was in math or reading, that could be problematic for that list of schools.
    Does he have more than 2 subject tests? Usually for home schooled kids, colleges like to see several.
    He sounds like a great kid, but do think you could reduce your jitters by adding a match and a safety school. Good luck
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 7,991 Senior Member
    Working and then going back to college at a later date may not be a bad path. And if everyone is OK with that path, then you can just kick back and not worry.
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 2,881 Senior Member
    Wondering if anyone else has moments as a parent where they are eager to see how their children's futures will pan out, and processing at the same time the bittersweetness of letting them go and grow. It's not my norm, but I felt like taking a moment to process it.

Yes. I wanted to chime in and extend you a virtual hug! We were a homeschooling family, and what you're experiencing is consistent with many feelings that I had last year when our son was making his applications.

It's a strange thing to be so extremely involved and invested in your child's education, and then to have to pull away and let them take the wheel. There are many issues wrapped up in there, not the least of which is that your job in life is changing. And then, of course, you have all the conventional worrying that any first-time college parent will have.

Chances are, there are better days ahead. Our son is in his spring semester of freshman year, and doing well. I wanted to encourage you to look at some safety and state options where he could still get an excellent education. We followed more of a delight-directed learning path when son was younger but it has been good for him, in terms of university life, to be in a system that is more formatted, with a clear path on what he needs to do. It has helped to smooth out some of the rough edges of a non-traditional education (which was wonderful for him btw). I, too, think your net should cast a little wider.

Are you a member of any local homeschooling support groups? They often have veteran moms who have been through the college application and financing process. We had a mom who put together a booklet and ran a little consulting business on the side, helping families with all this stuff.

You are entering deep water, but luckily with technology and forums there are many maps and charts to follow! Fight your anxiety with solid, actionable steps. Make sure to look at different pathways. Have faith that all will be well. You have done your best. Great job!
  • prof2dadprof2dad Registered User Posts: 441 Member
    I do not know much on UCs' admission standard. Would a 650 in math or CR create admission issues with UCB, UCLA, or UCSD?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 57,486 Senior Member
    edited January 18
    In my opinion...for those UCs....yes...a 650 would,not be a guarantee for admissions. But I'm not an adcom.