Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Nervous Jitters from CA mom

CoramDeo7CoramDeo7 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
This is my first post on the parent forum. After reading, multiple times, the threads of the colleges my DS has applied to it occurred to me that it would probably be best for me to move myself over here. :)

Argh! The bittersweet milestones. I am just hoping the best for my son, who we love so much. We homeschooled from the beginning, and graduated him in June. He has applied to UChicago (his first pick,) MIT, Harvard, Amherst, Williams, Rice, Duke, Northwestern and UCBerkeley. He is a bright kid - top 1% of SAT tests and GPA, thoughtful, curious well rounded and has some really great EC's and special interests. We utilized all kinds of resources in homeschooling him including charters and community college classes (excellent grades.)

Yet with all this going for him, I'm wondering how much his being homeschooled, his gap year, and us being low income will impact his chances. On the one hand I am at peace knowing that what will be, will be. On the other hand I find myself checking and rechecking everything to see if we missed anything in the applications, any deadlines, criteria, financial aid, etc. My son is much more relaxed about it all than I am. I am feeling the nervous jitters and sentimentality of being at this stage with my firstborn. Neither my husband nor myself went to college, so this is all new to us. I go back and forth from thinking no college is good enough for him to thinking we'll be thrilled beyond words if anyone accepts him.

Thanks to any who have taken the time to read, and I welcome any insight - especially if you've been here before. I hope the best for all the dear sons and daughters you're rooting for.

Replies to: Nervous Jitters from CA mom

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 9,187 Senior Member
    Being low income won't hurt him for the private schools.

What has he been doing on his gap year?

I agree it is a very reach heavy list - for any student.
  • CoramDeo7CoramDeo7 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Hi - thanks for the response. Yes, we are CA - Silicon Valley/Coast area. I do wish DS had been able to get in more safety school applications. He was waitlisted for UChicago last year, and really wanted to focus on his ED application with them this year so he didn't have a lot of extra energy for applying to other schools that weren't on the Coalition Application (MIT was the only one that wasn't.) If he does not wind up being admitted to any of these he will probably either look into remaining colleges with rolling/later admission deadlines or attend our community college for the next two years and apply as a transfer. Or option C of some sort.
    Hello doschicos - thanks for responding. I don't think he has anything really impressive, at least yet, to account for his gap year by admission standards. Even though he has officially graduated as of June he has continued as a devoted student, continuing his own fascination of self-study in biology (his chosen major is neurobiology,) math, computer programming and philosophy with a pretty intense and disciplined drive. Some math/science tutoring, some working with his dad, violin/viola study. He may wind up doing some summer travel/community service work. But nothing really out of the ordinary, and he doesn't seem especially concerned about it. He just had his 19th birthday, so I'm trying to balance recognizing he is a young man needing to make his own decisions with wanting to double check everything.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 57,428 Senior Member
    Did he apply to the same list of colleges this year as last?
    thumper1, as of this year UChicago decided to offer two Early Decion rounds. My S applied in EDII and will hear back by 2/15. I'm sure it will all work out one way or another. Either he will get accepted somewhere, or not, and find another way to continue his education. But it's hard watching from the sidelines sometimes!
    No, last year he only applied to a few, this year he applied to 9 (on Coalition) and made sure to include UCBerkeley.
  • AlbionGirlAlbionGirl Registered User Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 17
    Regarding the community college transfer into UC route, I would advise talking to an counselor at your local community college. Some majors are easier than others to transfer into and you might be surprised how difficult it can be depending on what your son intends to study.
  • my2caligirlsmy2caligirls Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    UC San Diego very strong in his major - hope made the list. Good luck - sounds like a bright kid.
  • socalmom007socalmom007 Registered User Posts: 484 Member
    Lots of good schools still accepting actually, Baylor, Dickinson, Gonzaga, on and on...