Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Colleges with 3+3, direct freshman entry, accelerated program for Physical Therapy?

Replies to: Colleges with 3+3, direct freshman entry, accelerated program for Physical Therapy?

• cowtown33cowtown33 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    @2017mdmom Thank You! If you could I would love the full list you have.
  • 2017mdmom2017mdmom Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Duquesne. Marquette was WAAAy too cold to even apply!
  • 2017mdmom2017mdmom Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I have gotten several messages requesting a list of programs. The best way to find a program is this link http://aptaapps.apta.org/accreditedschoolsdirectory/AllPrograms.aspx?UniqueKey=
    and filter for Key Code A2. You may need to look them up state by state.
  • lilabalilaba Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    I know someone who went to a pt program at Northeastern. Idk the details but they definitely have a program
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,155 Senior Member
    Northeastern University in Boston is 0-6 DPT.
  • shelly10shelly10 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    edited March 20
    Hi 2017mdmom, what schools did your daughter get accepted to? 34263426 my daughter also got into Marquette DPT program. Do you think your D will go there? Cowtown33 a couple of other schools that have not been mentioned on this thread are Ithaca University in NY and Arcadia University in PA
  • mistrymanmistryman Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Hello 2017mdmom,

Thanks for posting this information. My D currently in 10th grade and very much interested in Physical Therapy. One of the question I have is

1. Are there any summer volunteer ship in Philadelphia area (Bucks, Montgomery, or Philly)?
    2. What are the requirements for 3 + 3 programs?
    3. What additional activity my D should be doing ?
    4. Are any of these Colleges/Universities provide scholarships for 3 + 3 programs?

Mistry

• GoingtoPTschoolGoingtoPTschool Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am new to this thread and would like to see the complete list. You are a great resource.
  • AnnGuagAnnGuag Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi 2017mdmom,
    I would LOVE to pick your brain about your experience with applying to PT schools. When did you daughter start her applications? Did she do ONLY Direct Admit? Did she do 3+3? Was it a crazy process? Were some programs easier to maneuver than others? PLEASE! My head is spinning and I fear my son is running out of time - he's starting his HS Senior year in the fall.
  • mamag2855mamag2855 Registered User Posts: 665 Member
    Arcadia U in PA has a 3+3 DPT program. A friend's D is in the program, doing well and likes the school. https://www.arcadia.edu/academics/programs/pre-physical-therapy-accelerated
  • Michelem254Michelem254 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    i am following this thread as my daughter (senior in the fall) wishes to study PT also. Is Arcadia a true direct admission school?
  • mamag2855mamag2855 Registered User Posts: 665 Member
    Yes, Arcadia has both a 4+2 DPT program and a 3+3 direct admissions DPT program. The direct entry program has minimum requirements which must be met to stay in, and advance in the program, minimum gpa, grades, GRE scores, etc. More info. here:

https://www.arcadia.edu/academics/programs/pre-physical-therapy-accelerated#tab3
  • MamacatTXMamacatTX Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    My DS is a PT - He graduated in late 2015
    He did undergrad at a state school and then a full time DPT program at the University of St. Augustine.
    He is now a traveling PT and loves loves loves his career choice. His DPT was very expensive, thankfully he went cheap on his undergrad.
  • atlgal2016atlgal2016 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Supposedly, getting into DPT schools is like "med school" - very low acceptance rates, you must have at least a 3.5 undergrad, etc. Did your son experience this? Our D is a senior in HS and very interested in PT but we have been planning for her to do undergrad at a large public school, to save money and in case she changes her mind. Curious how it was for him after graduating from a public undergrad program. Thanks.
  • MamacatTXMamacatTX Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    @atigL2016 - My DS's overall GPA was somewhere in the 3.25 range BUT he was higher in the sciences where it counted. He took 5 years to finish his undergrad due to a dismal spring semester his freshman year when he discovered girls and alcohol, lol. That extra time allowed him to boost up that GPA - He majored in Community Health Sciences
    He applied to approx 10 programs all over the country (public and private) and was accepted to two - both private.
    Yes, statistically, med school is easier to get into.

DS's girlfriend is also a PT, they met in school. She went to a private university, was an athlete and had a better GPA than DS. It took her a couple of years of applying to get into PT school.

At the same time, DS has friends from college who got into public school PT programs.
    The public school programs tend to be the ones that everyone is after due to low cost but the added time to achieve the degree, get in the internships etc. needs to be evaluated as the extra year/years are lost earnings. DS walked out of school, took his national boards a few weeks later and was working one week post boards at a low 6 figure salary. Not bad for a 26 year old straight out of school.

DS's Doctorate of PT was 7 Trimesters (I believe it is now 8) He started in August of 2013, completed in December of 2015. 40+ hours per week for that entire time, plus study groups etc. He had approx 7-10 day breaks between Trimesters but other than that it was round the clock PT school or internships for 2 & 1/3 years. No time for much of anything else.

He is thrilled with his life plan and I think that he chose wisely. He now travels and takes different assignments which gives him experience in many settings as well as he is able to have a full time job and pull in PRN hours to help pay down the hefty student loans he acquired in PT school.