Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Rest in Peace: College Closings

13»

Replies to: Rest in Peace: College Closings

• MinnesotaDadof3MinnesotaDadof3 Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    Marygrove College, Detroit, Mich., will drop all of its undergraduate degree programs as of winter semester 2018, due to declining enrollment. See the following Detroit Free Press newspaper article link: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/08/09/marygrove-college-undergraduate-programs/551948001/
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 21,177 Senior Member
    Totally an aside, but from the list of closed New England colleges, best law school name ever: Portia School of Law. :)
  • exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 708 Member
    @Snowball City I wouldn't worry about Bennington. While they don't meet full need, they attract a huge number of students from wealthy families and are very popular with the East Coast Prep Schools. Indeed, when I worked in admissions I visited a number of prep schools where fewer than 15% of the students applied for financial aid. Places like Bennington target these schools. The cohort of "monied" applicants is huge. (Indeed, look at Princeton and Harvard. They have very generous financial aid policies but upwards of 60% of their students are full-pay.)
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,958 Senior Member
    My mother's aunt went to the Portia School of Law. When it merged she was offered a diploma from, I think, Sussex. She never practiced law, but I was always impressed that she went in the 1920's.
    edited August 12
    The 08/11/17 Wall Street Journal article "Seminaries Struggle to Maintain Their Roles" notes that Episcopal Divinity School, Cambridge, Mass., is closing, this summer has laid off all faculty and is putting up for sale its campus. It will affiliate with Union Theological Seminary (NYC) "But the school's faculty and students aren't invited to join."

Also noted is that the U.S.'s first seminary graduate school, 210-year-old Andover-Newton Theological sold its campus in July and is moving to the Yale Divinity School.

Claremont School of Theology (Calif.) hopes to sell its southern California campus and move somewhere less expensive. [Fargo, anyone?]

"Mainline Protestant seminaries are facing an existential crisis after a decade of mounting red ink. Enrollment has fallen by nearly 25% over the past decade, according to the Association of Theological Schools, an accrediting agency," reports the WSJ.
    The for-profit Charlotte (N.C.) School of Law has closed. See the following The Chronicle of Higher Education article:

http://www.chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/troubled-charlotte-school-of-law-will-close-its-doors-reports-say/119675?cid=wcontentlist
13»