Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Why don't Colleges teach students how to speak ?

Replies to: Why don't Colleges teach students how to speak ?

• snarlatronsnarlatron Registered User Posts: 1,474 Senior Member
    Use of the quotative like, uptalk, and vocal fry can sink an interview; that's just the way it is.
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Registered User Posts: 8,987 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    If you look on YouTube for "day in the life" type interviews of people in different careers, if the professional is an American under 40 there's a good chance they'll be using uptalk. Some examples are this software engineer (link) and this aerospace engineer (link).
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 22,328 Senior Member
    C'mon, people where using "like" back when I was in middle school. Believe me, that's some time ago, well before the valley girls. I remember my mom correcting me. The other was "ya know," which I do use in certain casual contexts. But, consciously.

Loved the VG song, btw.
    Oops, Omagawd.

• ChrchillChrchill Registered User Posts: 655 Member
    The pernicious overuse of "like" and tedious uptalk is not a gender issue. Both male and females are afflicted by them. The problem is that are not just annoying informal slang. They are pervasive in professional settings and even job interviews. They make the speaker sound inane and can indeed sink a job interview.
    This is fascinating. Moreover, these speech pattern have now been exported into many foreign languages including German, French, Italian and even Arabic and Hebrew. God Help!
    @marvin100 eloquence and vocabulary are critical in many professional settings. These speech patterns could bevy immaturity, insecurity and a casual attitude that is unprofessional and undermines the speaker no matter how smart he/she may be.
  • Fishnlines29Fishnlines29 Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    I find it distracting when I'm attending a business seminar OR when I'm just having a casual conversation with someone and the speaker uses "like" or "um" constantly. Maybe the person is very bright, but it's still distracting. I don't think it's a bad idea to teach our kids to communicate more effectively and not use fillers.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 3,804 Senior Member
    Most of my fellow profs would happily put up with annoying speech patterns if the students arrived knowing how to write an essay with reasonable grammar and spelling, and a structure or a line of sight through it.
  • reformedmanreformedman Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    I noticed this problem started with my kids about 2 years ago and quickly within a week after noticing it, had them correct themselves. Each time they did it, I'd make them repeat their sentence correctly. Many of their friends at school are prone to use the occasional unnecessary 'like'.

I think parents really are the ones that have to be held accountable to be their help, I wouldn't leave it to the school; I see schools as a help for these personal traits.

I wanted to add another annoying thing to add to this thread, it is the starting of a sentence with 'so'. My manager's boss can't start a sentence without the word 'so' and at first it was laughable, but now it's quite miserable that for so many years he still doesn't see a problem with it.
  • hoosiermomhoosiermom Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    When one of my daughters was in highschool, her constant use of the word "like" was irritating me. It continued for several months despite my occasional comments warning her that the habit was very distracting to anyone conversing with her. Finally, I started to count the "likes" out loud when we were engaged in conversations at home (never in public or in front of friends). She was not appreciative and actually became very angry with me. But the counting did finally make her realize how often she was using that word and she quit doing so.

Our minister got in the habit of using the word "ultimately" so much that our family began adding them up during sermons. The record was over 40 times one week. I was appalled when one of my daughter's told me they had laughed about the overuse with the pastor's daughter! Beginning with the next sermon, "ultimately" was no more frequently used than any other synonym of ultimately.
    These insertions aren't just exported. Many came to us as imports, patterns from other languages, the variety in our peoples.

Yes, some make one seem lesser. But I think we should each be aware of our own patterns, not just point fingers.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 31,109 Senior Member
    I have had uptalk and whatnot explained to me umpteen times and I *still* can't hear it.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,213 Senior Member
    I had a teacher 40 years ago who said "okay" as his space filler. It was a total joke in the class. We just sat around and counted the times he said it instead of listening to anything he presented.

I too killed the habit with my kids by repeating "like" after every time they said it. Didn't take very long actually but it did make them mad for a bit. Worth it.

Another annoying speech habit is the constant tongue click/lip smacking. Anyone else hear it lately?
    Blah, blah, tsk, blah blah blah, tsk , Drives me nuts! They got rid of um,er and like and inserted a tongue click.
    Sniffing.
    I know some who sniffle between phrases.