Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Why don't Colleges teach students how to speak ?

ChrchillChrchill Registered User Posts: 864 Member
They should fine each student for each "like" per sentence. These artificial voice inflections that turn affirmative sentences
into questions marks. should be punishable with three years in prison. These are supremely annoying as they impose on the listener to constantly nod and affirm. Our must well educated college grads sound like insipid insecure Barbie dolls when they converse. We must rescue them !

Replies to: Why don't Colleges teach students how to speak ?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,072 Senior Member
    CSUs have an oral communication requirement.
  • sseamomsseamom Registered User Posts: 4,868 Senior Member
    I've met plenty of young people who know how to speak well. At D's HS they certainly taught the kids how to speak, greet adults, introduce themselves, even how to make business/professional phone calls. But I have met those who did not attend that school who know how to comport themselves. I'm sure there are more who CAN than who sound like a Valley Girl.
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Registered User Posts: 8,987 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    Barbie dolls
    Both "like" and "uptalk" are associated with young women and are often traced back to California "valley girl" dialect.
    I hear men (mostly students my own age, but also professors in their forties) using uptalk all the time. I don't know why no one else notices. :p I do it to some extent, and while I've tried to reduce it, it's part of my accent and pretty hard to change.
    Who learns to "speak" in school? Really? We learn speech patterns from our families and friends.
    I think I speak the way I do because of school, although for the most part I wasn't explicitly taught how to speak. Before I went to school, I said "ain't" and had kind of a drawl because my mom does. (My family is from rural northern Ohio, so I'm not really sure why my mom has a drawl, but she does.) After attending school for a couple of years and being chastised for "ain't," I acquired a more typical American accent and have spoken that way ever since.
  • malvernvarnamalvernvarna Registered User Posts: 172 Junior Member
    edited February 12
    These are supremely annoying as they impose on the listener to constantly nod and affirm.
    I don't know about you, but I call this "active listening" and see it as a positive effect.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    I hear men (mostly students my own age, but also professors in their forties) using uptalk all the time.

Yes, and it's one of the fascinating paradoxes of speech policing: Speech habits associated or originating with young women are the most criticized but also the most rapidly imitated.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/science/young-women-often-trendsetters-in-vocal-patterns.html

(I teach a unit on this stuff)
  • rainierdaysrainierdays Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    I am currently in a senior level, undergrad English class in literary theory. My (male) professor says "like" and "um" in almost every sentence. He's a very fast talker, so he happens to stumbles over words frequently. Although his speech is imperfect, he's a brilliant guy nonetheless.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,428 Senior Member
    I was watching, "Shark Tank" a short time ago, and there were two 20-something female presenters. Their "uptalk" was juvenile-sounding. I was then shocked to learn that they were both Harvard grads. I would have thought that their years at H would have had more of a positive influence on their speech patterns.