Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

The 10 Worst Colleges For Free Speech: 2017

ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,283 Senior Member
edited February 22 in Parents Forum
From Huffpost:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/58ac64bfe4b0417c4066c2f1
There isn’t a week that goes by without a campus free speech controversy reaching the headlines. That’s why it’s as important as ever that we at the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) review the record each year and shine a spotlight on the 10 worst schools for free speech.

Since FIRE’s first “worst of the worst” list was released in 2011, the number of colleges and universities with the most restrictive speech codes has declined. However, 92 percent of American colleges still maintain speech codes that either clearly restrict—or could too easily be used to restrict—free speech. Students still find themselves corralled into absurdly-named “free speech zones,” taxed when they invite speakers deemed “controversial” by administrators, or even anonymously reported on by their fellow students when their speech is subjectively perceived to be “biased."

Replies to: The 10 Worst Colleges For Free Speech: 2017

• CorinthianCorinthian Registered User Posts: 1,277 Senior Member
    edited February 22
    Note that FIRE includes Fordham on the Top Ten list for restricting the Students for Justice in Palestine and Georgetown for restricting Bernie Sanders supporters from speaking.
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • ZekesimaZekesima Registered User Posts: 354 Member
    edited February 22
    Nobody knew about that at UCB a month ago. I heard a lot of people in the crowd calling him a homophobe. ETA: Please don't start arguing with me about Milo--I am in no way a supporter or defender of his. Just pointing out how ridiculous it is to call him anti-gay.
  • CorinthianCorinthian Registered User Posts: 1,277 Senior Member
    edited February 22
    I hope this isn't going to turn into a thread about Milo.

MODERATOR'S NOTE; Balance of post deleted.
  • colfac92colfac92 Registered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    Regardless of the top 10, or controversies around current provocateurs, I found it interesting to go to the FIRE site and search their database for colleges I am associated with one way or another to see what sorts of "free speech" issues they might have identified on those campuses. FWIW.
  • perspectivestudeperspectivestude Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 23,416 Super Moderator
    edited February 22
    MODERATOR'S NOTE
    I hope this isn't going to turn into a thread about Milo.
    Nope. Going too far off topic. Plus there is an entire thread devoted to that topic already. 5 posts deleted.
  • droppeditdroppedit Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    sourcewatch.org - LOL
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    That's a compelling counterargument, @droppedit . Care to do better?
  • droppeditdroppedit Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    Nope. You can read all about CMD yourself. I especially like how one CMD front quotes another CMD front as a reference in defending itself (sourcewatch.org defends prwatch.org and vice-versa).
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School Registered User Posts: 2,486 Senior Member
    I found it interesting that Northern Michigan University had a speech code prohibiting talk of suicide. NMU gets around 150 inches of snow per year and it gets really, really cold (-20 to -30 deg) on occasion. Mix in the hard drinking culture of the UP+ short winter days and it does not seem like a coincidence.