Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Betsy DeVos statement on historically black colleges and universities

Replies to: Betsy DeVos statement on historically black colleges and universities

• marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    Oh that's hilarious, @katliamom
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Registered User Posts: 1,837 Senior Member
    edited March 1
    @marvin100, I get the issue with DeVos' lack of experience in education. I am married to a teacher after all. But that is a completely different thing than the criticism leveled about these comments.

And @katliamom, at least they finally let her in the school. Baby steps.
    Sure @Ohiodad51 (and power to your spouse!). I was just responding to the idea that people are "assuming" she's ignorant, since it's long past assumption and into substantiation at this point :)
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 10,357 Senior Member
    @Ohiodad51 -- it might have been better for her reputation if they hadn't!
    Wow. Thanks for sharing, @sseamom .
    @marvin100, we will see. She's gonna be in the job for a bit yet. We will know if she can handle it soon enough.

@katliamom, actually, despite the "tweet storm" referenced in the article, the most interesting thing to me was the last part. You know, the statement that less than half of the students were meeting or approaching grade level expectations.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 10,357 Senior Member
    edited March 1
    @Ohiodad51... imagine where these kids were when they started, considering the school is one of the fastest-improving schools in DC.

Point being, the failures of schools serving impoverished populations are complex by nature, and years in the making. Something De Vos should learn in her new role, I would hope. (But don't count on.)
    @katliamom, sure. I just reject the idea that the only possible solution to very complex problems is to keep doing what we are doing. I would rather give DeVos, and the ideas she represents, a chance.
    Ohiodad51 wrote:
    I just reject the idea that the only possible solution to very complex problems is to keep doing what we are doing. I would rather give DeVos, and the ideas she represents, a chance.

That's fair, but I feel the need to point out that bringing in a multi-hundred-million-dollar donor with zero education experience and zero interaction with public schools who is on the record as wanting more fundamentalist Christian education (read: Creationism) is a pretty jarring choice, and the fact that her selection and policies are fiercely opposed by an overwhelming number of educators (and not just public school, and not just unionized, and not just non-Christian, and not just liberal) isn't a very good sign.
    @marvin100, fair enough. Like I said, we will see.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 11,488 Senior Member
    @cobrat

Then, you completely missed marvin100's point. He was equating academic tracking to a dual class system. He wasn't talking about race or even directly class.

Actually, you're the one missing the point by ignoring the context in which Woodrow Wilson's made that quoted speech.

Specifically, the fact he was raised in and heavily influenced by a Confederate sympathizing southern elite White family and neighbors in which the ideal society is one organized on rigid feudalistic lines....a mentality common among elite White southerners of his generation and before.
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 917 Member
    @cobrat

You're still not getting it. What Wilson meant or didn't mean is irrelevant to why marvin100 used that quote. Marvin100 was trying to rebut a very specific point I made about academic tracking, when you interjected yourself into the middle of the conversation and tried to change the subject to a history lesson.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 11,488 Senior Member
    Based on what we've heard about Best De Vos' educational philosophy -- it's not going to get better.

But according to some FB friends' alternative critical thinking interpretations of her philosophy, she did promise a dinosaur for every student and a grizzly bear in every classroom. :D