Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use the following form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

Berkeley Will Delete Online Content

2»

Replies to: Berkeley Will Delete Online Content

• PentaprismPentaprism Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    Turns out, although it is a Youtube "video," the content is all audio!
    Many of the "videos" are in the same situation as my D's (see post #8), but the instructor (or the person in charge of recording) didn't have the same setup as my D did, which also recorded the slides and the annotations.
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,702 Senior Member
    With any luck, Google's voice transcription will continue to improve and the automatic captions will actually match the audio, or be close enough that editing them is not onerous. Their voice transcription is pretty good now for dictating emails and texts, but I have yet to see accurate and not ridiculous automatic captions on YouTube.
  • dadoftwingirlsdadoftwingirls Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    The other problem is YouTube is not a 508 compliant video player for people with motor skills limitations. The university has no choice but to remove the videos to be in compliance with the law.

Besides the audio transcription of what the speaker is saying, you need an audio transcription of what they are doing if that is part of the lecture, i.e. describing a painting or piece of artwork if the lecture is art history.

Went through this issue at work. Doesn't include the updates that have to happen when the 508 compliant software your using is updated or changed.
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 3,559 Senior Member
    edited March 17
    Didn't know if this had been linked elsewhere, but they are now available at another site online. I am not sure if I can link it or not. You can find them by googling mirrored Berkeley lectures.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,403 Senior Member
    Thank you @Mom2aphysicsgeek and Jeremy Kaufman.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    https://lbry.io/news/20000-illegal-college-lectures-rescued
    Today, the University of California at Berkeley has deleted 20,000 college lectures from its YouTube channel. Berkeley removed the videos because of a lawsuit brought by two students from another university under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

We copied all 20,000 and are making them permanently available for free via LBRY.
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 Registered User Posts: 787 Member
    Wouldn't that be a de facto breach of copyright?
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    Absolutely, @Conformist1688 -- lbry.io is engaged in an act of civil disobedience, make no mistake.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,014 Senior Member
    Somebody better get the young lady who brought the original suit and make sure she shuts down this obvious, abhorrent and disgusting behavior. It will harm her to such a great extend, knowing this stuff is out there - for 99% to use. Must stand up for the 1%....
  • lcb56787lcb56787 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    They believe it to be legal because of the original license Berkeley released it under:

Is This Legal?
    Almost certainly.

The vast majority of the lectures are licensed under a Creative Commons license that allows attributed, non-commercial redistribution. The price for this content has been set to free and all LBRY metadata attributes it to UC Berkeley.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,734 Senior Member
    edited March 21
    Here's a link to the Justice Department letter: https://news.berkeley.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2016-08-30-UC-Berkeley-LOF.pdf

I don't find its reasoning all that compelling with respect to stuff that was just uploaded for free onto iTunes. I would also note that if Berkeley went back to the Justice Department with its current leadership, the outcome would probably be different.

Let me add this: what I find uncompelling is not so much the analysis, but the remedy. Any sensible person would realize that the result of this order would be the removal of most of this stuff from the Internet, resulting in much less access to it. A more sensible remedy would have focused on future additions, and perhaps a gradual process of making the existing stuff accessible.
2»