Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How can you help your shy Asian son thrive?

13»

Replies to: How can you help your shy Asian son thrive?

• Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 2,812 Senior Member
    This is an off-the-wall ideal but I've see it work with shy kids. I suggest your son take a drama class or try out for a school play. Often, introverts are able to step out of their comfort zone when they are put in the position of having to play another character. Your son might find that he enjoys acting and could end up with a group of drama friends as well. Drama kids are very accepting, IME.
  • astute12astute12 Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
    Ditto drama or sports or both! Drama kids are incredibly accepting and I have seen a really shy kid blossom on my son's tennis team. A smaller school could also be a good idea. You are an awesome parent for helping your son!
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 14,658 Senior Member
    Crazy thought but have you had his vision checked lately?
  • mamalionmamalion Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    My younger daughter is very introverted and a bit shy. She works very hard for her grades.

She also doesn't transition well, and so had a bad year starting middle school and starting high school. She is doing well her sophomore year. That said, she is in a very good private school where the classes are small and the teachers attentive. I think she would be lost in a big school. I worry about her transition to college . . .
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 11,669 Senior Member
    mamalion- don't worry about college. So much growing/maturing will happen in the next few years. Plus, she'll get to choose a school that suits her more than the one size fits all HS experience. I worried about my son who never heard the loud alarm clock we parents heard down the hall- he had no trouble being responsible in college.

OP- I see a trend here. You need to get an evaluation done. Checking to see if that 5 hours is truly study time is a start. Getting the school's input for any testing they can do is another. Just changing schools may not be the answer- the same underlying issues will follow him.
  • bestmom888bestmom888 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    @katliamom How big is your son's high school? I think you are on the right track thinking about transferring him to a smaller school. My daughter is a junior in a 2500+ student high school. I have learned that a student's willingness to advocate for herself can often make the difference between a B and an A, especially in the more "subjective" subjects such as English and History. In a big school, there are all kinds of teachers. Some will refuse to round up a 89.49 to an A even if the student had missed several weeks of class due to illness, while others will "gift" 10+ points on a final quarterly grade to her favorite student for "trying hard". It can be very intimidating to approach a teacher in such an environment. I think a smaller school, where there are fewer "superstars" or "troublemakers", can provide a more nurturing/calmer environment where your son can start to learn to speak up for himself.

And definitely continue to encourage him to engage with his peers and his teachers. Some people have pointed out possibility of depression or ADHD. I think that's a possibility and could be the reason why he has trouble focusing. Many kids are not diagnosed until high school age.
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Is your son being bullied at school? Make sure he isn't. Bullied kids often feel ashamed of themselves for being bullied, and are reluctant to admit it.
13»