Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Hidden Gem Colleges - PA and Midwest

Replies to: Hidden Gem Colleges - PA and Midwest

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,939 Senior Member
    What about Rhodes?
  • mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,090 Senior Member
    edited March 16
    What kind of grades/class rank (or quartile) is he in? My son with high SATs and decent, but not top GPA, got into Dickinson and really liked it but no merit aid. My middle one got into Ithaca with very minor merit (maybe $5K if I recall), which did not make enough of a dent in the cost. If you want more than token merit, you need to look at schools where he is well above the curve. Check the scholarship pages on the websites (forgive me if you already know all this, but with our first we did not realize that merit money was so hard to come by).

F&M does not give out ANY merit money, all need based. Muhlenberg is pretty generous.

How about Marist, even though it is in NY not PA? It is a bit less expensive than some of the others and gives merit aid.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,018 Senior Member
    for merit aid and a great school academically and with a happy, creative vibe, in Central PA, look at Muhlenberg.

The Greek is 27% participation, which is a little high for my family but maybe it's okay for you -- http://www.muhlenberg.edu/media/contentassets/pdf/campuslife/greek/Fall 2015 Annual Review_Grade Report.pdf
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,018 Senior Member
    So if he wants to avoid a lot of Greek life, you may want to look at this list. Several of the schools mentioned on this thread appear on this list, like Denison and Drake (I didn't know it had a big Greek life).

http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/greek-life/
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,939 Senior Member
    Why about Drew in NJ?
  • LuckyCharms913LuckyCharms913 Registered User Posts: 701 Member
    You mention small universities, as well as LACs. Not sure how small he wants, but you might consider some Catholic schools. Scranton (4,000 undergrads), Xavier (4,500 undergrads), and St. Joe's (5,400 undergrads) would have very good merit opportunities (probably $20,000/year awards with full tuition a competitive possibility at all three). All are urban although not located downtown. Duquesne is a bit larger (6,000) and doesn't offer full tuition awards, but he'd probably get $20,000/yr there as well. Greek life is usually not a big factor at Catholic colleges (if it exists at all).

• londondadlondondad Registered User Posts: 2,010 Senior Member
    Gettysburg and Knox (IL).
  • porcupine98porcupine98 Registered User Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    Look to see if CTCL has a roadshow coming to your area: http://ctcl.org/events-all/
  • jmnva06jmnva06 Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    Would definitely add Beloit and Juniata to the list
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,367 Senior Member
    Denison has Greek life for sure but none of it is residential. So it's a bit different.
  • beenthereanddonebeenthereanddone Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    Muhlenberg is in Allentown, PA and probably more NE Pennsylvania then Central. I agree with the sentiment that it has a very good academic reputation, happy and creative vibe and a very small Greek scene. They are definitely worth a visit. Best of luck to you!
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,704 Senior Member
    Dickinson and Denison have higher greek life participation among women than among men. We know a bunch of kids (male and female) at Denison and Dickinson, none are in Greek life, and have active social lives without it.

When researching greek life on campus, consider questions like, (1) when is rush -- fall or spring semester, as spring rush gives the freshman time to develop relationships on campus and decide whether they want to affiliate with greek life (Dickinson and Denison are spring rush); (2) housing -- is greek life residential or non-residential and, if residential, do students have to live in the houses for a specific number of years (Denison is non-residential, Kenyon has sections of dorms set aside for greek life members); (3) affiliation with national organizations -- Knox, Wooster, and Lawrence have greek life, but describe it as "non-traditional" -- I think Wooster and Knox are not affiliated with nationals, and therefore have more control of their own chapters, but someone else may know more specifically Your mileage may vary, but my kid found that, as long as greek life hovered around 30%, it was not a dominant part of campus life.
  • Ohiomom91Ohiomom91 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I echo those who mentioned Denison, Ohio Wesleyan and the College of Wooster. Denison and Ohio Wesleyan are both about a half hour from downtown Columbus if your son likes a smaller atmosphere with access to a larger city.
  • jcmom716jcmom716 Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    Thank you to everyone for responding! This will give my son some helpful research to do before and after our trip. To address some questions and comments:

@mamaedefamilia and others on Beloit and Lawrence...I wish hope will consider Wisconsin. I used to travel there for work and always enjoyed it. Will get him to do some research on the schools.

@NJWrestlingmom thank you for the insight on Dickinson, Ursinus, York, and others. I am interested to see his thoughts from his tours in a few weeks and will have him look at the others! What are the top three for your son?

@momofthreeboys and @Midwestmomofboys thank you for Kalamazoo and Hope. Kalamazoo looks interesting and with the town there, could be a good match.He's thinking Michigan is not where he wants to attend, but I may pull that out for the mom choice to visit!!

@mom2and He is in the top 10% for his class and with his PSAT will at least be commended. Thank you for the info on Franklin & Marshall. He had received something in the mail and had originally been interested in it but we saw no merit aid so it's not going on the list. Hoping this thread with your comments and others can help a wide group of families. I will have him look into Marist.

@LuckyCharms913 Thank you! He is not opposed to Catholic schools. We know someone at Duquense, she's enjoying it. My son doesn't care to be right in downtown Pittsburgh but will have him look into the others.

Thanks again to all who have posted. It's very helpful to our family and hope it is to others taking the journey!