Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Two classes short for Spring graduation... what I can do?

2»

Replies to: Two classes short for Spring graduation... what I can do?

• inthegardeninthegarden Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    yes, please do! I ran this by my husband (who is a college prof.) He said that in his university, when course requirements change late in any given student's progression toward a degree, the student can be "grandfathered in" to earn the degree according to the earlier set of requirements...in other words, the newer requirements only apply to the newer set of students. That seems fair.

Sounds as if your department/college is in quite a state of disorganization and miscommunication... if it is true that students are told to rely solely on the advisor, yet are misadvised (even if quite unintentionally) then it seems to me that, on ethical grounds, the school should award your degree or find a way for you to take the required work. I am not familiar with legal matters, but it seems to me to be a legal issue if you were actually misguided in such an expensive and consequential way. Tomorrow is going to be a very long day for you, I'm sure. I will be very interested to find out what happens on Monday.
    I will also add that my husband just said that he and other profs are regularly reminded that even a class syllabus, detailing what is to be covered in a course, is considered a legally-binding document. I would also think that any information emailed to you about graduation requirements (that later changed) and signed checklists/plans would be considered legal documents that the school is answerable to. No student should pay so dearly for chaos and flux within the school when there is miscommunication on the part of the school.
  • ConfusedBugConfusedBug Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I believe theres a huge miscommunication among the school's aged system and website. The unreliable degree audit and confusing graduation process really make it hard for us. We cannot be sure for 100% what is required. For example, on the degree audit, it says "96 credits are required" and it lists three of my college classes as "non-used courses". meanwhile, the degree guide says "90 credits are required for degree". The information emailed to me changed within several months so it's probably they recommend students to work closely with an adviser and I did but got screwed up anyway. This is a very unfair situation considering I was not trying to bail on any class, I was instructed to do so. I'm also a straight A student so I pay really good attention to the process.
  • ConfusedBugConfusedBug Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    The syllabuses are painfully outdated, one of them says it's still 2005. :|
    What a relief! Thank goodness! I really did think he would have to help you, given that he had a great deal of responsibility in what happened.
2»