Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use the following form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 1,554 Senior Member
    Just hoping that @Porcupine98 will keep posting now that s/he is on such a roll!
  • porcupine98porcupine98 Registered User Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    OWU also had a medallion. Or maybe it was an archway. Or a rock. I forget.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 12,462 Senior Member
    "Honestly, I defy anyone to beat TAMU at the ugly school game. HUGE campus, mismatched, awful architecture and a truly boring college town."

@ollie113 Are you an alum of UT-Austin? ;)
  • WalknOnEggShellsWalknOnEggShells Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    Lehigh

I know people are split on their reaction to "The Hill". I'm definitely on the No Thank You side of the argument, but I'm not the prospective student.

I really love everything else about the school. I think it's right in the sweet spot of student body size. It's a great research university with relatively small classes, and the kids have fun there. That's a lot of upside.

But that hill and that depressing town. They must be having a whole lot of fun there, because the kids seem to like it, and they don't seem to be having any trouble attracting good students.

I have to admit, there was a very active, upbeat vibe there. I couldn't stop thinking about the Hill, but my daughter was soaking in the energy of the students. Maybe all that Hill climbing has their blood pumping :-)
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 1,792 Senior Member
    We visited CMU with our oldest D. Overall she liked it. I was underwhelmed. I thought the dorms looked like barracks and the campus overall just didn't impress me. That combined with the guide who looked like she hadn't showered in a while and prefaced every statement with "that being said" it just didn't give me that we cost $65,000/year vibe. I was impressed with the University of Pittsburgh however. It didn't strike me so much as a college campus as a college city but it was much more impressive to me than CMU.