Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• EyeVeeeEyeVeee Registered User Posts: 402 Member
    @WalknOnEggShells ....as I said earlier in the thread (#144)...Lehigh was a good fit for one child on paper, yet everyone else in the family felt as though it was the set of a horror movie (someone chasing you up or down the hill, zigzag paths). I didn't...but I wasn't looking to spend 4 years there.

The town is definitely not helping, but the school seems to be slipping slightly in terms of reputation. 20-30 years ago, it was known in the Philly area as a really strong school. The smart kids in your class were the ones who looked at Lehigh. Lafayette was nearby, but didn't have the same reputation. I think that's flipped in the past 5-10 years, and now Lafayette gets as much or more love than Lehigh. Some of that could be the town (although Easton isn't going to win any "best places" awards either).
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 12,524 Senior Member
    edited April 21
  • exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 708 Member
    @northwesty I suppose you can take some solace that given their insanely low acceptance rate, you probably wouldn't face the dilemma of accept Harvard's offer!
  • pauler80020pauler80020 Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    @porcupine98 I did not do a tour at CU-Boulder with my D, but I work there, and I am LOL at how you nailed it. They are working hard to get off all the "top party school" lists but the campus is just too... pretty.

For me, well, I just spent almost a week in Western Massachusetts because D wanted to attend a couple of accepted student days each at Mt. Holyoke and Smith. Much to our surprise, even after a nice walk around the campus the day before, she lasted 1/2 a day at the Mt. Holyoke event. It seems like a great school, the students look healthy and happy, and it's pretty and out in the woods -- maybe a little bit too out in the woods. When they explained that they have been over capacity and are putting first year students in quads, I saw the color draining from her face. And when they wouldn't let her take a dance class, after earlier saying they would (she's a potential dance major/minor), and the dance professor never answered an email, she was just sad. And then she committed to Smith the next day. End of story.
  • twobugstwobugs Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    On paper, Lehigh was a fit for D. In real life, after driving through a run-down area to get to the campus, one look at the dark, hilly, squashed-in feeling campus was enough. We never even parked the car.
  • jonrijonri Registered User Posts: 6,808 Senior Member
    edited April 21
    @Lindagraf Seriously...did you miss the fact that Army WON the Army-Navy game in 2016. i.e., the most recent game?!!!!!
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,018 Senior Member
    @timekeeper
    Macalester College. Seemed like a good fit on paper but not for her. The poor students looked miserable and there seemed to be tension in the air.

We had a bad Macalester experience at a college fair. Until then I was charmed by the whole idea of the LAc in a city and bagpipes and so on. The rep flipped me the other way when I asked about taking a gap year before applying. He said that it wold be okay if they did something worthwhile "not work at McDonalds" or anything like that. I felt smacked. What's wrong with working at McDonald's? If that's not a great place to learn skills and time management and abuot people, what is? Walked away and never looked back.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,372 Senior Member
    I haven't been to Bethlehem for many years (family there) but I recall it being absolutely adorable with cute shops and the lavish Hotel Bethlehem really amazing my 12 year old self. We were there at Christmas most often, and the family either lived right in town in super cool old mansions, sometimes divided, or way out in the country with lots of land and barns and stuff. As a NYC kid, I thought both were great. Has it changed a lot since the 80's? I thought Bethlehem Steel was already basically gone then.

OK, I just checked a map. Lehigh is not actually IN Bethlehem. It's across the river. Maybe it's funky over there.
  • porcupine98porcupine98 Registered User Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    @pauler80020 Thanks for validating.... ;-)
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,323 Senior Member
    LOL Lindagf. Re West Point. Neither of my kids would look at it, although they know it is a terrific school. H, his father and uncle are all grads .
  • crazymamaBcrazymamaB Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    @OHMomof2 You visited the nice side of Bethlehem; it is exactly as you described it. If I recall, the side butting up against Lehigh--not so much.
  • maroon79maroon79 Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    edited April 21
    ollie113 - sorry but a town full of 55k undergrads is never boring. Its only boring if you make it boring.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 12,018 Senior Member
    Many of you diss brutalist architecture- usually correct in my view. But- those referenced libraries are fantastic! Especially in comparison to the old ugly brick (often red) buildings so many think are beautiful. Too many traditional looks that have outlived their usefulness. Depressing. Reason alone to ignore otherwise probably excellent schools, including Stanford's taco Bell boring architecture.

There. A different opinion.