Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 2,958 Senior Member
    edited May 15
    @Old_parent I challenge you to find a picture of snow anywhere on their marketing material. I guess its their four letter word. :D

Actually, I found a snow photo...from 1959. In the "Campus Life" photo gallery...

https://ubphoto.smugmug.com/search/index.mg?searchWords=Campus Life, Student Life&submitSearch=&searchType=InUser&NickName=ubphoto#i=0
  • Old_parentOld_parent Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    @moooop I had no expectations for the school or it's location. I don't know how I developed expectations in the intervening 40 years for my daughter? Hopefully just a transient neurosis?
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 11,331 Senior Member
    "I never did get the logic of the blue light thing -- they all seem to be few and far between, and inconveniently located."

Actually, at Trinity CT they seem to appear literally every 20 feet. That plus the sketchy neighborhood and several other things removed the school from contention quickly.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 11,794 Senior Member
    This spring break I visited my daughter at her school, which is about 4 miles from the beach. I was sitting on the beach and sent a text picture to my friend who was considering D's school and said "you could be here next year." She texted back that he'd just picked Buffalo.

I give him a year. He'll be cold and lonely.
  • RegretfulRegretful Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I visited RPI twice and did not like it either time. The campus was austere and dated. Buildings and poles littered with new and old announcements. The freshmen dorms were dark and unwelcoming. They announced the required Summer Arch program which was never mentioned during a recent tour or during the admissions process. They did a terrible job selling it. I am sure my son would have gotten an excellent education but it was not estetically pleasing nor did I think they were very organized.
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,445 Senior Member
    The UW Madison viewbook has two snow pix and about 30 without any. It never rains. https://www.admissions.wisc.edu/assets/pdfs/UW_Viewbook.pdf
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,382 Senior Member
    Wow, that makes it look like the biggest weather-related problems you might run into in Madison are a little sunburn on your shoulders when you wear a tank top to class in January, or maybe a little windburn on your cheeks from spending too much time in your sailboat in February.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 11,331 Senior Member
    Old but still good - honest college marketing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsdlSpA2GU
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 11,783 Senior Member
    Excuse me, but despite plenty of snowfall winters can have plenty of sunshine- unlike the warmer Pacific NW. Those lake effect snows dump a lot of snow in a short time period, like Florida rains and no constant drizzle.

My vote(s) for least favorite schools are those where it is too hot to spend time outdoors. Moved to Tampa- flat and hot too much (Indian H loves the heat, I prefer here to winters...).
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,382 Senior Member
    Yeah, but the academic year runs from September thru April. And winter in Madison runs mid-September thru mid-April. So it might have warm sunny days, but the students don't get to enjoy many of them
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 11,783 Senior Member
    Winter weather does NOT run that long! Late September still can have very HOT days...Actually, not having ideal outdoor conditions makes it easier to focus on things, move faster, get things done.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 722 Member
    A bit of clarification on the blue lights...the gold standard is that from every one of them you should be able to see another.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    Winter in Madison is Nov to March. In September, kids are complaining about no A/C in the dorms or older apartments. On the plus side of winter in Madison, there is pond hockey on the Lake, ice skating etc. On the negative side, there is walking up Bascom Hill in negative temps. The pay off is the Terrace in fall and spring (and summer, for many students who work in Madison for the summer).