Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• eh1234eh1234 Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    @lalalander111 You're so right. Then there's my kid, who would probably reject any school with a campus that could be described as "pristine" and "boarding school like."

Is there a safe, nondescript campus full of laid back, smart, lazy kids in normal clothes who like to longboard, snowboard, play music and sort of study sometimes?
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 12,254 Senior Member
    Sounds like a state flagship to me. Large enough to have a wide diversity of interests, even within a major and/or honors program.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,084 Senior Member
    "Is there a safe, nondescript campus full of laid back, smart, lazy kids in normal clothes who like to longboard, snowboard, play music and sort of study sometimes?"

I wouldn't call them lazy and they definitely study, but look at schools like UVM, UNH, and a notch lower academics wise Plymouth State.
  • maroon79maroon79 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    "We visited just about every school in the southeast. Texas A &M was horrible. It was like exhurbia on steroids. Ugly architecture and felt like you would have to walk miles from class to class. Major roads surrounding campus made it feel even more austere"

I went to A&M.. it is not a pretty campus except for some of the large oak trees. When the school admitted women in the late 60's it experienced a flood of new students and had to throw up a bunch of very ugly buildings to teach and house those students. Needless to say there was no thought to architecture. The dominant building color is tan brick which is depressing. That being said, its a very fun place to go to college and very unique. You made a mistake cancelling a tour based on the look of the campus. Also the complaint about major roads surrounding the campus is true - that's because no city roads go through campus, which makes the campus somewhat of a sanctuary from city traffic. That's actually a good thing.
  • Muad_dibMuad_dib Registered User Posts: 498 Member
    ...that's because no city roads go through campus, which makes the campus somewhat of a sanctuary from city traffic

Wellborn Road might be considered a city road that cuts through campus, especially since the Mays Business School moved over to west campus. Plus, all of the animal/ag related departments are on that side.

I went to A&M for grad school and compared to my undergrad institution (Stony Brook), the campus was exquisite. And the students are very friendly.
  • AidaAida Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    @eh1234 said "Then there's my kid, who would probably reject any school with a campus that could be described as "pristine" and "boarding school like."

My kids rejected every school that they found "boarding school like", which effectively was every liberal arts college.

As none of them has ever attended boarding school, or even seen one, AFAIK, the judgement seems a bit without merit.
  • maroon79maroon79 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    very true about wellborn road. When I was in school the only buildings on the other side of wellborn was the medical school and maybe a Ag building, along with all the parking lots and intramural fields. They have made a major improvement by adding the tunnels so you don't have to cross the street - plus I think the campus shuttle buses are pretty convenient.
  • timekeepertimekeeper Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    My complaint is IF you host a student overnight do not do it in a quint room of 5 girls who apparently hate each other. They hosted only three students across campus that night and you could not have had a student in a double room host? The arguing and roommate issues turned my Dd off the school. She said it seemed like every student she met hated the other students. One RA even told her she would transfer if she could, good endorsement!
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,782 Senior Member
    @eh1234 that's the school for my son! And funnily enough, @doschicos hit the nail on the head, because we just looked at both UVM and UNH. I think UNH might just be his dream school. Could be the school for your kid too, lol!
  • swtaffy904swtaffy904 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @timekeeper that is awful! If we are going to invest the effort to get D there for an overnight the least they could is have a host who at least tries to put their best foot forward!
    My D did one overnight; the next ones will come as accepted student. She did overnight at Vassar. It went from being high on her list to #1 on her list. Host and her friends sound like they were perfect.
    So much of this is really luck.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,865 Senior Member
    @swtaffy904 could you be a little more specific about what your D liked about Vassar? We looked at it recently, but are still trying to form our opinion
  • Old_parentOld_parent Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    @wisteria100

Sorry to intrude in the discussion but the positives for me for Vassar are...
    1) Gothic wonderland. Imagine this school during Halloween!
    2) Awesome library. I would never leave!
    3) CIA just due north. You can actually get an incredible meal each time you visit. BTW Malcolm Gladwell did an excellent episode of his podcast "revisionist history", which explained why the food at Vassar being horrible is a good thing.
    4) Non descript dorms, but a grand piano is a nice touch.
    5) Anthony Bourdain dropped out of here.
    6) 2 hour train ride to NYC.

• wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,865 Senior Member
    @Old_parent
    Thanks - I did not know about #5. He's such a foodie, perhaps that is why he dropped out - lol.
    I was aware of the others you mentioned, but trying to get more of a read on student vibe. The gender imbalance was worrisome for my D, though not so much different than at other LACs. But what is different about it, is that they get so few male applicants. They admit 55% of males and 15% of females. Wondering if the genders are equal academically with that imbalance?
    I did listen to the podcast too. I thought it was a little silly, though our tour guide did hint that the food was not a highlight!
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    We were told on our Vassar tour that it was lucky (I think for admissions purposes) to see groundhogs on campus. We actually saw two, who were kissing. I hope that brought luck to my two kids!
    We grabbed lunch there and it was not good, but they were completely revamping their dining hall and had contracted with the same food service company that serves Wesleyan, where the food was terrific.

Oops, sorry, this is the hate on colleges thread and I am off topic, but I will just leave my inappropriately positive post in place.
  • swtaffy904swtaffy904 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @wisteria100 my D is an artsy kid. She is looking for a place where she will be academically challenged but also able to play music and do theatre. The vibe just was right for her from the minute she got out of the car. Im having trouble putting my finger on it but some of it was the little things, the Shakespeare garden. She loved the library. She didn't mind the food at all; I didn't eat on campus so can't comment. She is aware of the gender imbalance but she is also applying to Smith so that is not a huge factor.
    We saw Vassar and then Skidmore. We were completely underwhelmed by Skidmore and left scratching our heads because we know a couple of friends who preferred Skidmore.
    I guess it's good they don't all feel the same way. It work be a free for all