Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

1666768697072»

Replies to: What school was unexpectedly your least favorite when you visited?

• gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 2,927 Senior Member
    @swtaffy904 , did you look at Bard? Our guide told us it was known as the "dinner party school ". Apparently, all dorms have cooking facilities so students won't set the place on fire with toaster ovens. Our tour there included a lot of very funny moments. ..
  • swtaffy904swtaffy904 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @gardenstategal we did look at Bard and it is on her to apply there. I liked it less than Vassar, didn't quite get the intellectual vibe there. But my D did feel she would be happy there
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 2,104 Senior Member
    I just saw that Satchel Ronan Farrow, son of Mia Farrow and Woody Allen (now doing the expose on Harvey W), graduated from Bard at age 15, and went on to Yale Law School, and got a Rhodes to Oxford in Journalism which he did not complete.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,550 Senior Member
    @preppedpolished FWIW he actually started college early at Bard College at Simons Rock which is a program specifically geared for HS aged students who are ready for college level work.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,847 Senior Member
    @Old_parent 5) Anthony Bourdain dropped out of here.

He and I have that in common, never knew!
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,084 Senior Member
    Ronan Farrow started at Bard/Simon Rock then transferred to Bard.

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, child #1, the artsy one, and I thought Bard was a wonderful fit on paper. Not in real life, though. It struck us as a bunch of angsty types, guys all wearing skinny jeans, and the real killer - more smokers than I've ever seen in my life and butts littered across the otherwise pretty campus.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,084 Senior Member
    Hear, hear, @PetulaClark! The school this kid eventually chose was largely due to meeting and interacting with a variety of kids who were all very different from each other yet all very welcoming and the types that kiddo knew could be friend material.
  • ninakatarinaninakatarina Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    St. John's of Annapolis got crossed off the list because of smokers. It was always a long shot because it's just a bit too close to home, but we had a great tour guide and my kid was grooving on it. I actually saw the change, the moment my kid had to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke to get into a building and turned against the place.
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 368 Member
    I didn’t go on the tour, but according to my wife Tufts was rather underwhelming since the tour guide seemed to mention the history and traditions of Tufts more than the academics and facilities. Meaning the hour was spent on Jumbo and vandalizing the cannon. Son thought it was cool and applied, but withdrew the application when he got into his ED choice.

We never toured the campus, but the regional presentation for Northwestern didn’t go well. The alumni presenters didn’t seem like they wanted to be there and 2 of them were recent grads still looking for their first job. My son wasn’t considering Northwestern anyways but the local representatives could have done a more professional job with the presentation.
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,698 Senior Member
    Hated Tufts. See post #545.

• simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,636 Senior Member
    edited October 13
    I hate to say this about my daughter's school, but Middle Tennessee State was about the ugliest campus I've ever seen. She was commuting to class from Nashville, so I guess the aesthetics and atmosphere didn't matter to her.