Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Crowd-sourcing a final decision?

Replies to: Crowd-sourcing a final decision?

• MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,456 Senior Member
    On Villanova being 35 minutes from home -- I went to college 10 minutes from home, lived on campus, and the first time I saw my family/went home freshman year was T'giving break. The advantage was, I could hop on the commuter rail and be home without fighting crowds in airline terminals etc. Physical proximity does not mean a student will come home more frequently than being a few hours away so, to the extent that is a consideration to the OP about Villanova, I would put that one aside. And its not like South Bend is some great shakes as compared to Main Line Philadelphia (no slight to SB, but it's 90 minutes from Chicago vs. Villanova being 30 minutes by rail to Center City Philly).
  • LurkerDad2LurkerDad2 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Really great feedback from everyone. Lots to think about. We just finished Day 1 of Case's accepted students day and he's in the dorms overnight. A little more background on his personality....not a huge sports fan (I know that's a big draw of Notre Dame) but does like to run and is considering club running or crew at a school ( or maybe trying to walk-on X-Country at a D3 like Case or URoch.

He's a very interdisciplinary thinker and really wants to do research (which would be a requirement in Nova's Honor's Program). For example, in high school he wrote code for a stats class that pulls twitter feeds and performed a statistical demographic analysis based on a government happiness index, and also is developing an algorithm for a history class that takes historical maps and transforms them based on modern satellite data. Also is a bit entrepreneurial with 3 games in the apple and google stores, and a 4th coming.

He really liked the think[box] at Case today, and one CS major was talking about her research in other labs and how CS skills are needed by a lot of the research labs. Also..seems to be thinking less about doubling up with bio and just taking the required premed classes. My guess is that after this weekend he has it down to Case or Nova.

• jollymamajollymama Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    @LurkerDad, as a Case parent, I'm glad your son is having a good time on accepted students day. Really, with his wonderful choices, it is all about fit-- if the finances work! Accepted students weekend two years ago is when my son announced he had found "his people."

I did want to draw your attention to this older thread in which Case gets some love. Of course your son's real-life impressions outweigh any opinions from people on the internet!

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/case-western-reserve-university/1816795-case-western-reserve-university-ea-2020-fit-p1.html

Best wishes to you and DS on the decision.

• arwarwarwarw Registered User Posts: 1,244 Senior Member
    edited April 13
    I hope he'll have a chance to visit Brown, sit in on some classes and meet some professors and students. From what I hear from my daughter and her friends, the lectures and classroom experience is fantastic. They take their "shopping period" and course selection very seriously. I took one Brown online class and was blown away by the professor, who was both brilliant and humble. My daugher has had a truly transformative education, and I have no regrets about the large price tag.

Here is some post graduate-data on computational Biology at Brown https://www.brown.edu/campus-life/support/careerlab/post_grad_data/concentration/CSBI

And a good Ted Talk on Brown's unique approach to undergraduate education. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aNp6bJCAhU

Congratulations to your son!

• mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 28,678 Senior Member
    So much of how you do in college is related to your major. I was one A away from graduating summa. I didn't feel like finding another social science course, so I didn't, but I easily could have. If I'd majored in almost anything else, I don't think I'd have done as well. I loved every course I took in my major and did very well in them.
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 9,370 Senior Member
    edited April 15
    The obvious, rational, objective choice is Villanova, based only on cost.
    The price premium for any other choice is quite large.
    I see a point of diminishing returns after CWRU and Rochester, and probably would take ND off the table*.

Villanova certainly isn't a CC, but it's closer than the others to what USNWR characterizes as a "regional" university (in fact, that's how it used to be classified). Compared to "national" universities, "regional" schools generally have fewer/weaker doctoral programs, more emphasis on pre-professional programs at the undergraduate level, and less geographic diversity in the student body. Nevertheless they usually don't offer the high percentage of very small classes you'd find at a LAC.

Villanova does not have a doctoral program in CS. Less than 43% of classes have fewer than 20-students (compared to more than 70% at Brown or Rochester). Business is by far the most popular major at Villanova (accounting for nearly a third of graduating seniors, compared to < 1% in computer & information sciences). More than 2/3 of Villanova students come from PA, NJ, or NY (compared to about 1/3 of Brown students from MA, RI, CT, NY, and NJ). As mentioned above, ~75% of Villanova students are Roman Catholic.

I wonder whether Villanova can provide a very stimulating intellectual environment for a smart, creative, entrepreneurial kid like this. I don't know the answer. I think Rochester or CWRU could (and Brown surely could). If it were my kid, I'd be willing to pay a fairly large price premium if we decided Villanova wasn't a good fit ... assuming we could afford an alternative. Is CWRU or Rochester worth an extra ~$140K? If he's leaning very strongly toward med school, I'd say no. Otherwise, I think the campus visits become pretty important.

* Would I also take Brown off the table and not even bother to visit? I probably would if CWRU or Rochester really clicked after a visit. However, from the descriptions, this does sound to me like the kind of kid who could thrive at a place like Brown (assuming, again, that it's even an affordable option).
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 7,584 Senior Member
    I think this will be an easy decision once he sees both places-- the vibe is very different.
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,263 Senior Member
    I would insist he visit Brown before making a decision. He applied there for a reason, and everyone here is saying they have a great CS program.
  • LurkerDad2LurkerDad2 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    @citymama9 - yes..he applied there not knowing what merit aid he'd get from other places. However, he took a look at the numbers (full price for Brown) and said to me, "Brown has a good program, but not $280,000 better than Villanova).
  • arwarwarwarw Registered User Posts: 1,244 Senior Member
    edited April 20
    "Brown has a good program, but not $280,000 better than Villanova).

I would make sure he evaluates this in the context of lifetime earnings and access to industries and graduate schools.

Brown has an 80+ % acceptance rate to medical schools and great placements in most other graduate programs. Source: https://www.brown.edu/academics/college/advising/health-careers/medical-admission-data-snapshot

Also, great recruiting for computer science.

Here are placements for class 2015:
    https://www.brown.edu/campus-life/support/careerlab/post_grad_data/concentration/COMP

• Associate Product Manager, Google
    • Associate Product Manager, Google
    • Data Scientist, Censio, Inc.
    • DevOps Engineer, Kyruus
    • Developer, Microsoft Corp.
    • Growth Marketing Intern, DataFox Intelligence, Inc.
    • Product Manager, Microsoft Corp.
    • Product Quality Engineer, Palantir Technologies
    • Production Intern, Imprint Projects
    • Program Manager, Microsoft Corp.
    • Project Manager, Microsoft Corp.
    • Research Developer, Vision Systems, Inc.
    • Security Researcher, Salesforce
    • Software Developer - Big Data Discovery Team, Oracle Corporation
    • Software Developer, Casper
    • Software Developer, Jane Street Capital
    • Software Developer, Surround.io
    • Software Development Engineer, Amazon.com
    • Software Engineer, AppDynamics
    • Software Engineer, Appnexus
    • Software Engineer, Blend Labs
    • Software Engineer, Computer Science Corporation
    • Software Engineer, Delphix
    • Software Engineer, Dropbox Inc.
    • Software Engineer, Facebook
    • Software Engineer, Facebook
    • Software Engineer, Google
    • Software Engineer, Joyent, Inc.
    • Software Engineer, MathWorks
    • Software Engineer, Microsoft Corp.
    • Software Engineer, Microsoft Corp.
    • Software Engineer, Mitre Corp.
    • Software Engineer, Pinterest
    • Software Engineer, Pure Storage
    • Software Engineer, Quora Inc.
    • Software Engineer, Redfin
    • Software Engineer, Redfin
    • Software Engineer, Twitter Inc.
    • Software Engineer, Vistaprint
    • Software Engineer, Zillow.com
    • Software Engineering Intern, Yelp
    • Summer Imersion Program Teacher, Girls Who Code
    • Technical Director Intern, Pixar
    • iOS Engineer, Getaround

Best of luck with his decision!

• PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 8,939 Senior Member
    edited April 20
    @arwarw: Hard to evaluate when you don't have the same student attending both Brown and Villanova.

BTW, if you're going to go by earnings, 5 years out, the average Villanova grad is doing substantially better than the average Brown grad according to College Scorecard.
    But again, nobody graduates from both these schools for undergrad, so it's hard to compare.

• northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,275 Senior Member
    edited April 20
    Brown claims 80% med school acceptance rate. Nova claims 70%.

A lot of that data relates to how strong the students are who go to a particular school. Given the lower selectivity (i.e. the raw material input going into the school) of Nova, I'd say their output number is more impressive than Brown's. But you have to take all those numbers with a boulder of salt.

Since they only include the kids that actually wind up applying to med school at the end of a multi-year process. So don't include all the kids (like this one) who expressed interest in med school as an incoming freshman. There's a lot of dropping out and de facto weeding out that happens at any school over the next 3-4 years.
  • bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 6,531 Senior Member
    edited April 20
    Come over to the CWRU subforum and check it out.

THis is a great thread to read: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/case-western-reserve-university/1729119-a-definitive-objective-description-of-case-western-by-a-current-student.html

BTW Case has like 3 hospitals literally across the street so volunteering is easy peasy
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 8,939 Senior Member
    ^ And at some schools, if you don't get a committee recommendation, there's no point applying to med school, so there's weeding out even at the end.