Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Most intellectual, hipster-like, diverse vibes? Denison, Wooster, Allegheny, Earlham, Kalamazoo.

Replies to: Most intellectual, hipster-like, diverse vibes? Denison, Wooster, Allegheny, Earlham, Kalamazoo.

• deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 4,423 Senior Member
    Kalamazoo! Great school, has that vibe.

Suprisingly I felt Case could be arty, it has a music school and the location is great. Lots of culture near by. Don't knock Cleveland, it's much much nicer than its reputation.
  • greenbuttongreenbutton Registered User Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Allegheny is pretty generous with aid -- maybe not hipster, but social justice and writing are strong. Has she looked at Baldwin-Wallace? Or Susquehanna (also aid-generous and supportive environment, but not as liberal)
  • lisabeeslisabees Registered User Posts: 459 Member
    deb, thanks for the heads up on Kalamazoo.

We may stop at Case. My senior was just accepted there and we had never even visited. In all of the time oldest was at Oberlin, we never actually went to Cleveland. Too many wonderful schools; such little time!
  • lisabeeslisabees Registered User Posts: 459 Member
    edited April 16
    Shoot. inthegarden, I keep missing your posts.

Re; Dickinson. Awesome school, but I don't think she would get merit. I have a bad taste in my mouth about them because oldest son (who got into Haverford, went to Oberlin with tons of merit) got not one lick of merit from Dickinson. And he showed lots of interest - visiting three times. We were considered full pay then and they apparently expected us to be full pay!
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 14,916 Senior Member
    Bard is very hipster/intellectual and has merit scholarships, according to their website.
  • LadyMeowMeowLadyMeowMeow Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    @lisabees I second the recommendation for your daughter to visit Baldwin Wallace if you're in & around Cleveland.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,448 Senior Member
    edited April 16
    You need merit, so it's going to be tough with her grades and tests scores. Being honest, I think you need to checkout your in-state unis and see which ones she likes.

Or she can retest, or try the ACT. If she can get a higher test score, that will help.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,931 Senior Member
    Crunch the numbers first. Every college has a net price calculator on it. Use that.

Beloit is a great choice.
  • cellomom2cellomom2 Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    If you're looking at Beloit and Lawrence, it may be worth it to look at Knox college also. Case Western is located in a cool area of Cleveland surrounded by various cultural institutions, however I think your D will have a hard time getting the merit she needs at Case.
  • cellomom2cellomom2 Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    Also, you asked if Lawrence would be a good fit and I think it would. The students are academically serious but tend toward collaborative and laid back vs. competitive. I don't know that I would describe it as hipster but I think there is a mix of style and I have seen students there who fit the hipster vibe. Definitely not preppy. Having a music conservatory adds a lot to the culture of the campus. It seems to me they do a great job of bringing interesting speakers to campus. Since my D has been there she has heard talks by John Lewis and Ta Nehisi Coates just to name a few. Definitely worth a look.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,931 Senior Member
    edited April 16
    I'm from Cleveland...and Case location is familiar to me. It's a terrific school, but I would NOT call it a hipster place...at all.

The location of Case has its ups and downs. The university is buying up property all over the area...so it has changed a lot over the years. For the "hipster" location...look up Coventry. It's up the hill from Case and a lot of off campus and Case professional students...and University Hospital staff live there.

It's an urban campus. Is that what she wants? Many of the smaller colleges being suggest are in small towns.

If your daughter NEEDS merit aid, I'm not sure Ithaca will end up being affordable.

ETA....look at the list of Colleges that Changed Lives. Many of them have a nice vibe to them...and are also located close to or in PA.
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,198 Senior Member
    You might want to look into Ursinus. They seem to give quite a bit of merit aid, and I'll bet your daughter would qualify. Not really an artsy vibe, but definitely plenty of arts opportunities. I dissed it on another thread because it wasn't right for my kids, but really I was very impressed and thought it looked like a great school for the right student.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,699 Senior Member
    edited April 16
    Earlham and Kzoo for sure, Lawrence, Beloit and Knox if you will consider WI and Illinois. All are test optional and give merit aid (up to 1/2 tuition) without scores. We visited all except Beloit multiple times, wonderful communities.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,699 Senior Member
    edited April 16
    Following up to say, Denison is blended student population, very diverse in terms of race/ethnicity/socio-economic but may not come through with enough merit for OP. I've written a lot about Kzoo, Knox, Wooster, Earlham etc. as they were all schools my kid looked at closely -- the OP might want to read some of my prior post history on those schools as I regret I'm not able to go into detail right now about them. Bottom line -- Kzoo, Earlham, Lawrence and Knox are all wonderful, inclusive, diverse communities with strong academics and places where kids can really blossom. All give merit aid without test scores.