Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Most intellectual, hipster-like, diverse vibes? Denison, Wooster, Allegheny, Earlham, Kalamazoo.

Replies to: Most intellectual, hipster-like, diverse vibes? Denison, Wooster, Allegheny, Earlham, Kalamazoo.

• morningside95morningside95 Registered User Posts: 346 Member
    **I can't recall if you mentioned it, but where is your 2017 considering? It's getting down to the wire! Good luc! **
    Also, @lisabees, I am putting in my 2 thumbs-up for Lawrence and Beloit.

I found schools in the Midwest have lower COA and offer more aid. Especially since is sounds like you'll have 2 in college at the same time. My sons applied to both Lawrence and Beloit. They fit the overall vibe your D is looking for, the kids that go there are very bright, and the they are both in fairly nice large towns.

Use NPCs and find schools that meet close to 100% of need, per the College Data website. Ex. for Beloit:
    http://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg03_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=301

Beloit meets 95% of need.

Now "Need" won't be based on your FAFSA, as no school I know of meets that #, but if you use the EFC calculator on the CollegeBoard.org website: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/paying-your-share/expected-family-contribution-calculator and select "Institutional Method," you'll get an idea of what most colleges think your Expected Family (meaning parent) Contribution will be.

Per my quick check:
    Lawrence - 97%
    Beloit - 95%
    Wooster - 95%
    Denison - 90%
    Lewis & Clark - 90%
    Willamette - 84%
    Univ Puget Sound - 74%

Not to be a downer, and your probably already know this, as great as Bryn Mawr and Mt Holyoke are, the avg stats for their admitted students is about a 3.8 GPA and 1400 SAT / 30 ACT. It is totally worth it to apply, as they both meet 100% of need, and your D has a well-rounded background, but your D cannot get too attached.
    AND - Since your D said she's interested in considering a school where their might be a mix of hippies, nerds and more traditional students, I am going to throw St. Olaf into the ring. That's where S17 is going. He had a 3.25 W GPA, and a 28 on the ACT. Lots of good ECs, outside work and is strong with in-person interviews and his essay. He is on the lower end of the stats of St Olaf, but he got in, and the Ad Rep said he is not the only one. They want interesting, well-rounded students. S17 is very smart, but still working on developing his study skills, (hence the GPA), and he is aware St Olaf is somewhat rigorous, so we were glad to hear him ask about academic help from profs and their writing lab, etc, during Accepted Students weekend.

Overall the school definitely leans liberal, but when we were just on campus and liked the diff types of kids we saw there. Most kids looks pretty avg - mostly in sweats etc. with the cool weather. but there were plenty of more artsy looking kids. They have a dance program: https://wp.stolaf.edu/dance/

Also, Carleton College is just 2 miles away, and you can actually request to take a class there. They have a shuttle between the schools, and kids share dining hall privileges. I think St Olaf would be very interested in a student like your daughter, as they are working hard to attract kids who are from other parts of the country and are from diff cultural backgrounds. AND they meet 100% of need, and seem to be generous when a family has 2 in college at the same time (like we are). Their NPC for us was nearly spot on! One last thing. It is a dry campus. There is a lot to do on the weekends, and the 3,000 (larger than some LACs) students do stick around, but I've heard that kids that want to "party" go to Carleton on weekend, or to the home of an upperclassman, who lives off campus. But overall, not a partying school, but not stiff either. No Greek.

Just thowin' it out there!
  • 93pilots93pilots Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    @lisabees we have also been to Lewis & Clark and Willamette. Agree with what @morningside95 said. My S preferred L&C so we had opposite result though. Couple of other things:

L&C runs a shuttle to the local grocery store and downtown Portland and from what my S could tell kids actually use it. So not having car may not be super big deal. L&C has a fabulous study abroad program, most kids do it, they run a lot of their own programs which is nice, I think it is a signature thing about the school.

Willamette would probably be a great place to go to school if you wanted easy access to state government internships. People from the government offices cross the street to eat in the dining hall, it's that close! It does feel very unpretentious in a good way. Salem seems okay, is far enough from Portland (1 hour) to make it unlikely that students go very often.

Agree that University of Puget Sound is worth a look. And Beloit! i am still a little in love with that school based solely on their interactions with my S.

L&C has more of a hippie vibe than UPS or Willamette. I hear that Beloit does as well though I may never know firsthand.
  • kt1969kt1969 Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
    Just chiming in as my D has similar stats to yours [1230 SAT, 3.25 UW GPA] and applied to some of the same schools you are looking at. Got money from all but varying amounts:

Wooster 26K
    Denison 24K
    Muhlenberg 12K
    Lewis & Clark no merit but 15K need-based, which nobody else gave us--kinda weird

others mentioned on the thread:
    Goucher 22K [she will be attending Goucher]
    Knox 20K

I found the NPCs to be mostly pretty accurate, but Denison changed theirs recently and it went from very accurate [had listed her at 23-25K] to totally inaccurate. So be careful on that one and don't assume she will get a low amount.
  • lisabeeslisabees Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    edited April 20
    kt - thank you ever so much for sharing your D's stats and results! It is exactly what I needed!

93 and morningside - You are awesome!!!! I will share this with D.

Morningside - I don't think I shared my S's choices. CMU and Columbia. Unless he miraculously gets off MIT's waitlist! He is almost positive he is choosing CMU - more nerdy; more math; more options for CS; and they just won Putnam Math Competition. All things important to a math kid.

Re: Mt Holyoke and Bryn Mawr. I absolutely know the reality of the situation. Sigh. That's why it is imperative that she find other schools that she loves.

Two notes:

The trip was made only by my stepdaughter and me. The fact that it was only the two of us made it much easier! And special. She and I are super close. :)

When she enters school, we will have a grand total of 3 in college. I am getting married in June, which really complicates financial matters! Ah, but that's an entirely different thread!

I cannot thank you all enough! I am in absolute awe of how much you have been willing to share.

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,072 Senior Member
    She's liking the idea of women's schools? She might like Agnes Scott. Just outside Atlanta, right near Emory.
    Also maybe Mills, in Northern California? Having only a son I don't know that much about so please take this with the huge grain of salt it deserves, but I had the impression that it has a social justice vibe, and claims to meet 95% of need.
    Glad you had such a great whirlwind trip, @lisabees! I went on trips with each of our sons and really enjoyed the personal time together. I grew up being close to step-family too, so cool that you have such a strong relationship w/ you SD. Getting married too?! That DOES sound complicated!

I would listen to @93pilots' info over mine, as she has the best information, having just been there, and with students on the campus. Good to hear there is a shuttle for the L&C kids, since that campus is so suburban. Study Abroad was an important factor for both our sons. There is an Amtrak commuter train right next to the south side of the Willamette campus, so you can get to and from Portland pretty easily.

Congrats to your S17! Those are wonderful choices for a math whiz! My S16's close HS friend was a top math student, here in MN. Took most of his math classes during HS at the U of MN. He was on tv for being able to recite Pi to the 500th digit or something! Your S might get a kick out of this: http://www.kare11.com/news/more-than-314-edina-teen-recites-509-digits-of-pi/82463714 Most of S16's friends are super bright but played a sport too. When I asked this boy what sport he played, he paused, and then just said, "Math!"

Good luck to both all 3 of your kids!
  • WalknOnEggShellsWalknOnEggShells Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    @lisabees, not sure if you're considering out of state publics, but SUNY Purchase in New York might work. I think it's around 32 - 35K out of state.

Two other hippy schools that come to mind are SUNY New Paltz and University Of North Carolina, Asheville. I don't think either has a Dance department, but I think they're both artsy.

Someone on here recently disputed the fact that New Paltz is a hippy school , saying that it was an outdated reputation. I met a former New Paltz student recently, who had transferred to Purchase. She said that New Paltz was too liberal for her. I found that surprising, since Purchase is an Arts school.

This is obviously an N of 1, but I thought I'd throw it out there so people can do some research on this. I have no personal experience with either school, but I do have the impression that both are pretty liberal/artsy.
  • lisabeeslisabees Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    So much to say!

@morningside your S's friend was so cute! And...that is amazing. S got the world record in solving the Rubik's cube a couple of years ago, and the video is priceless.

Re: St Olaf. Is it religious?

Ok, so I have learned something new (she will be the fourth in college and we have two after her). I should really pay attention to who meets full need or the largest percentage of it. Once I marry, everything changes. Now, ex and I need lots of f/a. Once I marry, new H will probably be deemed as having no or very little need, but of course we do. Even with three in college, it won't make much of a difference. Three in college may make a little dent in what we pay for my stepdaughter, but it will be a huge loss for the CMU kid. I am hoping that the prior prior year (2016) when I wasn't married will be looked at a bit differently. What do I know?! The NPCs won't be too accurate for us, from what I understand, because of the blended family thing.

My 20 year old's school (Susquehanna) only uses FAFSA, so no huge worries there if S uses his father as primary custodian. It will be his senior year.

L&C - That sounds a bit reachy for merit. @93pilots - thoughts on that?

Agnes Scott and Mills. I will look into those. She does like the idea of women's colleges. Going South may be way out of her comfort zone. After our trip and seeing her compared to the other kids, she is extremely low on the self-confidence scale. She is super shy and ALWAYS comparing herself to others. She needs a place that will take all of her potential, make her feel safe so that she can grow and thrive.

@WalkOnEggShells, thanks for those ideas. I look forward to hearing from anyone about them.
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 2,407 Senior Member
    @lisabees My recollection is that Mount Holyoke is an easier admit than Bryn Mawr (larger student body, higher acceptance rate) so her chances would be somewhat greater there.

St. Olaf is a Lutheran school (of a more politically liberal variety), daily chapel is offered (but optional) and students are required to take two religion courses to fulfill their distribution requirements, but they are along the lines of History of Christianity from a scholarly perspective, not indoctrination. Non-Lutherans (or non-Christians, for that matter) are welcomed. I know a girl who is an atheist who went there and felt comfortable. My non-religious daughter applied.
  • janjmomjanjmom Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    <Agnes Scott and Mills. I will look into those. She does like the idea of women's colleges. Going South may be way out of her comfort zone. After our trip and seeing her compared to the other kids, she is extremely low on the self-confidence scale. She is super shy and ALWAYS comparing herself to others. She needs a place that will take all of her potential, make her feel safe so that she can grow and thrive.>

(I can't remember how to do the little quote thingy, but you get the idea!!!)

So in terms of this^^ I go back to what I said upthread about Moravian. Building confidence in bright kids who haven't hit their academic stride is their specialty. And if she is considering a women's college and considering looking south, MAYBE look at Meredith College. It's a little bit of an outlier in terms of some of the others on your list but there are some strengths in their program and a lot to say for being in Raleigh, NC.
    @lisabees I am not positive about L&C merit but think it would be worth trying. My S was offered $18k merit with a similar GPA but test scores a bit higher (32 ACT). They have a non-binding Early Action application cycle which has historically had a much higher admit rate than regular decision, not sure if the money is better there or not.

Another school on S's list at that seemed very friendly and nurturing was Whittier College, in Southern California. It is probably not as highly ranked as some others people are mentioning but we really liked it. Very caring, hands on faculty that seemed like they would go out of their way to get to know kids and seek out opportunities for them. Good merit, too.

• DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,018 Senior Member
    edited April 21
    Agnes Scott and Mills. I will look into those. She does like the idea of women's colleges. Going South may be way out of her comfort zone. After our trip and seeing her compared to the other kids, she is extremely low on the self-confidence scale. She is super shy and ALWAYS comparing herself to others. She needs a place that will take all of her potential, make her feel safe so that she can grow and thrive.

Agnes scott would be great for this! It's small, lovely, very open to all kinds of women, and it has cross registration with Emory. If my daughter didn't have skin issues whenever there's a breath of humidity, it would be at the top of our list.

A friend of mine's D is at Mills currently. They also loved BMC and HMC and she was offered space at both. She chose Mills though and she's happy. It's also a nurturing quiet small campus, beautiful. They allow cross reg at a number of schools in the area, an art school and Berkeley, among many others. the BART and MUNI systems and other public transit make getting around fairly easy. The campus itself is quiet but you can get out to other areas as you wish. Also, it's in the area of start ups and lots of internships.