Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Oxford/Emory or University of Alabama Huntsville?

2»

Replies to: Oxford/Emory or University of Alabama Huntsville?

• ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 Registered User Posts: 3,419 Senior Member
    edited April 20
    Emory has a unique and powerful alliance with Georgia Tech. Enables students to earn a BA from Emory and an Engineering degree from Georgia Tech.... combined those schools do well over $1.3 billion in research annually.

http://www.emory.edu/home/research/centers-partners/georgia-tech.html
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,673 Senior Member
    Agree that cheaper isnt always better. A friend's son went to UAH as a stem major. Enjoyed it but socially it was a bad fit for him (he is Jewish and the population is small).
    I have heard, in the past, that some Emory students had a derogatory name for the students that started at Oxford. I hope that is inthe past. Emory is a great school and Atlanta is a great city. There is a shuttle that brings Oxford students to the Emory campus, but yes, the Oxford/Covington area is a bit unexciting.

Keep in mind that if you need hours at a hospital, there are several on/near the Emory campus (Emory hospital, the rehab hospital, the geriatric hospital, the VA, etc). IMO Emory would be the better choice.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,648 Senior Member
    the Oxford/Covington area is a bit unexciting

Not if you like hot vampires and werewolves and whatnot! We found some tasty lunch off the square too.

FWIW, a family member was a prof then dean at Emory and all his kids went there. They all started at Oxford because, I was told by him, in general professors feel Oxford offers a better education for the first two years than the Druid Hills campus does. Smaller classes, more attention from professors, more opportunities to lead clubs and such.

There is a shuttle but it takes about an hour, probably not something she'd want to do daily. But to do clinical stuff on weekends or 1-2 days a week? Bring school work and do it on the bus.
    @OHMomof2 - in Atlanta, an hour commute is nothing. Especially now, with one highway bridg still being rebuilt.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,648 Senior Member
    Oh I know @jym626 ...I spent many summers there as a kid and still get there about once a year to visit family who are in just about every corner of the metro area, as far apart as they can possibly be and still sort of be in Atlanta. I haven't been since all the freeways broke, plan to stay away until that's sorted.

But for a college student, commuting two hours on a shuttle every day would, IMO, be a drag. D and I drove, in a car, from Emory/Druid Hills to Emory/Oxford and that drive has zero redeeming qualities. Just ugly freeway and lots of trucks until you get to Covington. But Covington was cute, we thought. Nice residential area near the college, and the town square had Things.
    edited April 21
    Of course- and thats the point--that Oxford students dont go to main campus all that often, from what I hear. Was just making a tongue in cheek comment. And Covington has come alive since the filming of the Walking Dead (pun intended) . And yes, several other TV shows and movies.
  • morningside95morningside95 Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    So it sounds like you've made the choice, together, to go to Emory/Oxford, @4Hurley? If so, congratulations! Look for my handsome but quiet, 6'2" slightly barrel chested, nephew, with dark brown long bang-y hair and big brown eyes. He shy, but a sweetie! He applied there, ED, and is very happy to be attending. I think your family and D will find that it was well worth taking on a modest amount of debt! Again, Congrats!
  • 4Hurley4Hurley Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    I think she's going to pick Oxford, but hasn't officially decided yet. My husband and I definitely think it's a worthwhile investment :-)
    Maybe she'll meet your nephew!
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,072 Senior Member
    @4Hurley Sounds like you did your due diligence and came to a logical conclusion as a family. Kudos. Best of luck to your D.
  • worth2tryworth2try Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    Congratulations on her decision. With the smaller classes, it will be easier to obtain letters of recommendation. If you help her out to get a CNA or EMT certification (or perhaps Oxford/Emory will offer!), she will be killing two birds with one stone -- hours needed for PA school and extra cash to keep the costs down.
  • nightstalker160nightstalker160 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    We had a similar decision between free at Sewanee or taking out loans at Oxford... my son chose Oxford - so maybe they'll meet.
  • LBad96LBad96 Registered User Posts: 3,499 Senior Member
    I would think that between Oxford (Emory) and UAH that it would be a much easier decision than what has played out on this thread. Congrats to your daughter, OP.
2»